A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewalongs?  (Read 5979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lissa
« on: July 13, 2004 01:11:11 PM »

What if we did something cool in here like the knitalongs?  We could all work on pattern and see the wonderful variety and creativity that comes out of it.

Just an idea, but I think it would be really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004 02:34:22 PM »

I think it could be pulled off, as long as a number of people had the same pattern and such... I thikn picking something inexpensive (such as a new look pattern) would make more peope give it a shot.come to think of it I just picked up a new look pattern for a simple little dress.... this one:
http://www.simplicity.com/assets/6377/6377.jpg
I haven't come up with any ideas for it yet though...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004 07:11:22 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004 02:37:04 PM »

I think it could be pulled off, as long as a number of people had the same pattern and such... I thikn picking something inexpensive (such as a new look pattern) would make more peope give it a shot.come to think of it I just picked up a new look pattern for a simple little dress.... this one:
http://www.simplicity.com/assets/6377/6377.jpg
I haven't come up with any ideas for it yet though...

i like your idea shade n shadow, but not everyone is going to have time to sew a dress, even an easy one like this. not that i have a better suggestion ha ha
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004 07:11:48 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004 02:54:44 PM »

That would be cool, but that dress looks to hard for me! Eek...looks like it has a ZIPPER *gasp* I guess it would be a challenge though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crescentfresh
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004 04:24:05 PM »

this sounds like a very cool idea- if we found a pattern that everyone likes, and gave everyone plenty of time to finish it....or no set time limit at all.
 by the way i like that dress- i think i could pull that off with a pattern, and i'd definitely wear it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004 05:22:11 PM »

very cool idea. i like it. also that dress is really cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
shes crafty
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004 05:59:06 AM »

I was looking at that dress pattern not too long ago.  I think I was waiting for the pattern sale at Joanns (so cheap I am!).  If not a dress pattern then what?  I think there are already a ton of purses on craftster, and  shirts can be pretty complicated, too.   Why doesn't everyone challenge themselves to try a dress with a zipper?  I know I need the practice! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004 06:27:16 AM »

I love the idea.  I too am anticipating the sacred Pattern Sale of Joanns (it's like a religious experience, really).  Perhaps timing the start of the project to coincide with said sales (assuming they put out similar deals at all their branches, like Hobby Lobby) could make the whole idea easier on the group's respective pocketbooks?  Then you don't have to worry too much about a cheap pattern, because most all of them are 99 cents.

As for the various doubts that have been expressed: if you're going to try a pattern that's hard for you, with obstacles like a zipper, what better way to learn than in a sew-along?  Then you've got an entire support group working with the same pattern!  Those that don't have time for the project would, I'd hope, not participate, or better yet found their own sew-along with something quicker. 

And that dress?  Ooo, I could have fun with the embellishments on that one.

I think Craftster is a massive enough group that you could garner a respectable turnout for most any project or timetable.  I'm all for it, though I can't get my camera to speak with my computer, and so might be a bit late on posting the results.  Smiley  Lovely idea, Lissa, be sure to give me a jab if you decide to go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004 06:38:46 AM »

Just in case you decide to consider the sales: according to the JoAnn.com version of the in-store sales ads (which did not ask me what store I shopped at, so I assume it counts for most of them): Simplicity patterns are all $1.99 from July 14 to July 16 (2004, of course), and Butterick patterns will be 99 cents from July 22 to July 24.  Sadly I looked a bit late- they had 99 cent deals on McCalls and 75% off Vogue a short while ago. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004 07:44:54 AM »

i'd like to give the dress a try too! i think having the open, on-going time frame is a good idea.

and i agree with captain riley - for those who think the dress is too hard/time-consuming, we could always start another sewalong for a shirt or drawstring pants or something. let's have multiple community sewing experiences!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Game
February 17th: The Pocket Symphony
January 17th: Popeye Sets Sail
Marionettes with Geahk Burchill
Cirque Du Soleil Stage Preparation
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...