A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Been Awhile - 2 Dresses, One Work in progress skirt (or dress...)  (Read 1884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2010 11:04:13 AM »

Wow! I haven't posted on here since Halloween, and even then, it wasn't the best post.

So I got the pleasure of being able to get some pointers (and free equipment use) from a local clothing designer that I got connected with via my modeling... which was a great experience... out of that came this dress:

which has my first experience with rolled hems... ruching, hidden zippers, and a lot of other things...

it will be worn in my next photoshoot.

This next dress isn't quite as cool - or nearly as technically well done... It WAS, however, accomplished from fabric to final product in 2.5 hours...

you see... my work's Christmas party was disco themed this year... and I wanted to look like a disco ball.

I had a lot of other obligations and hired someone to make me a disco dress... with bell sleeves... I went picked it up, paid $160, and it was horrible... ugly light yellow gold sequin nightmare...

So since I picked it up the morning of the party.. .. I was running out of time... I just did not want to wear that dress. So I headed to Joann's... got this silver sequin fabric... went back, realized I had 3.5 hours to make the dress, do my makeup, and straighten my hair... Speed dress making at it's finest.

I had to use maybe 3 different needles because the sequins kept on dulling them...

BUT it got finished.

I wanted it to be remniscent of the dress Muzzy wore in Thoroughly Modern Millie... only more disco ball. So the back was slits of fabric so that it almost appeared solid, but then when I danced, because I made the slits slightly longer than the length from the shoulder to the waist, it flared out and exposed my back.

The dress was not supposed to be that short... I miscut and didn't have time to fix it... so I just wore tights underneath and it worked out...

despite the technical flaws of this dress (I didn't finish the edges because of time... and well... that would have been difficult with the sequin fabric and it surely did not fray or unravel), everyone loved it... and I got asked by a few people where I got my dress.

and lastly a piece in the works...

This is going to be either a high waisted skirt or a dress. Either way, this is the waistband.

It's suede and lace.

The skirt is going to be very full... and is going to be quilted (rather squares instead of cathedral window) with the black suede, each layer getting fuller and fuller.

It's going to be knee length.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 12:31:46 PM by FadingHippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010 12:31:47 PM »

Wow! Great work! I'd love to see the first dress when you have your photoshoot!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grave_13
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010 12:41:30 PM »

Wow! Great work! I'd love to see the first dress when you have your photoshoot!!
I agree, cant' wait to see how it looks on you! The back of the disco dress indeed is very interesting. I'm curious on how your last piece will turn out, don't keep us in suspense too long  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h0p31355

How *hard* could it be?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010 03:49:52 PM »

The first dress is super sexy.  It looks amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~h0p31355~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What are some basic rules of shot composition?
What is the best camera for everyday shooting?
How much should I budget for a digital camera?
What is an SLR camera?
How many megapixels should my digital camera have?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...