A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage style clothing (warning-Mr. Creosote of images)  (Read 8600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006 07:03:48 PM »

americandemockracy, 34 bust to a 21 waist....whoaaaa, I keep getting images of Barbie in my head.

Yah. That is barbie proportion-esque.

It's a really cute pattern though, but when I mocked it out, it just looked suspiciously like "Katie-has-a-paunch"...

Anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
zeeblebee
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006 07:28:56 PM »

ambiguouslyspecific- the second dress was actually meant to be a summer dress I think, but I made it of a winter material and wear a shirt under it. It comes in a couple of different sleeve lengths, but even if it isn't the same pattern you could always make it out of a lighter material ready for summer (If you are in the northern hemisphere that is)

When I discovered I had a waist late last year, americandemockracy, at first I felt as though everything made my belly look fat. Perhaps the dress just needed a little volume from a petticoat to look flattering?

thanks arrhythmia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelly.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006 07:36:59 PM »

I love love love love love that second one!
I keep meaning to make myself a dress like that, but all my fabric was reallly patternted and I didnt know what wouls look good.  But I really like the cord!
Hmm, I might have to make one, was it just side and shoulder seams and bust darts? Because I have an old dress like that, that I could take a pattern off...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006 08:06:22 PM »

Not quite; It is princess seamed and the shoulders at the back were ruffled a bit so you can move in them, rather than having back darts.

Initially my dad thought that the brown fabric was a bit much for a dress, but it turned out fine when broken up by a belt. You won't know if it is too busy until you try it out, what does the fabric look like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambiguouslyspecific
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006 09:59:59 PM »

in a lot of the patterns in my mom's book the models all wear long sleeve/ elbow length sleeve white collared shirts so when i saw your picture it just automatically registered haha. they look nice with long sleeve shirts. haha is it a bad thing that my body measurements are almost that barbie size?? haha but i have a short torso so i just look weird.   i always thought I was fatter than most girls cause when my mom made dresses for some girls in my class, they all had like 17"-20" waists while i...didn't haha. but then again...they didn't have a lot of bust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy  Proverbs 14:10
pokeraddict
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006 08:04:22 AM »

Oh my - that coat is fantasmical. If only i didn't have to take a plane to track you down and steal it....

...a girl can dream. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006 09:14:23 AM »

I think the explanation for the measurements lies in the type of foundation garments women wore back then such as girdles (my mother says they were the worst form of torture)  everyone wore them so pattern measurements reflected this.  Anyone remember dolly parton in steel magnolias when she said something to the effect that in her day a properly raised young lady never left the house without her girdle on and something about pigs under a blanket as well Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imreallyjustsam
poverty chic

that was hazy, cosmic jive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006 11:39:16 AM »

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeet   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pinkus
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006 12:12:18 PM »

Well done they're ace!! I love the first one especially.. i got a pattern exactly like that one but havent got round to doing it yet cos it looks like it'll take aaages plus havnt got any suitable material... and lol its actually for like a 7 yr old but i had to buy it cos thought it looked soo cute!! typically vintage..but Embarrassed now really worried that i won;t b able to enlargen it..
anybody had any experience with enlarging patterns at all? plleeees help i love the item muchly
thanx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
umaysayimadremr
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2006 01:54:43 PM »

those are amazing! Shocked where did you buy all the vintage patterns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ms. New York Senior America LIVE
Senior Pageant Queens Look Back On 8 Decades Of Style
How This 62-Year-Old Pageant Queen Turned Her Life Around At 50
6 Ways to Try New Beauty Products Before You Buy Them
How To Get Soft, Smooth Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...