A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Graduation Dress For Young Child Time Crunch! and Totally Clueless!  (Read 1190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

searchingforGodlyanswers
« on: April 28, 2006 10:51:02 PM »

Any advice on what you would do in this situation doing your daughter's dress?
Is it more cost efficient to make your own daughter's princess dresses? Are there any kind of pretty dresses that a child can grow into over the years and you just make gradual adjustments?
Huh

This is my first time posting here and I have never done a dress before, just buttons here and there and sewing a hole in my night gown as a teen as far as I can remember. 
An all white dress or white top and white skirt is due May 18. I just found out about this. Shocked  Shocked 
I would like to have a princessy-looking dress (with sleeves if at all possible) self-made or from the store for my daughter to wear. I would like to get her to wearing children/girls size 8 or bigger dresses.
I have recently taken a liking to the idea of doing my own window curtains (I have already started getting fabric for that) and have gotten a sewing kit and a package of thread. I do not have a machine as of yet (and not sure if I'm getting one), so for the time being anything I do will have to be by hand.
Which would be better, to search the stores (Targets has a decent white dress online, or maybe I could check Goodwills and thrift stores...) for something cheap & already made and look for a pattern for next year and possibly the years to come, or to just get a quick and easy design pattern and attempt to make one on the spur of the moment?
If I get a dress this time around from the stores, would that or a picture do as a pattern for future references, or should I have to look for one?

How long and how many hours would it take to do a dress that's: (a) simple (b) princess-looking?
Is it possible to just start off with getting material and cutting a hole in the middle of it like a costume and go from there or should I get a pattern (which reads like Greek to me)?

My mother also says she has a strapped dress that looks white until she puts a shirt on it and then it looks cream or off-white. She lives a distance from me (not feasible to drive all the way there to get it--may as well just buy the target dress for the cost of gass to go there and come back), but may drop it off if she gets a chance, and since it's just for that one night and it will be under the gown, it may be okay to do that (I would have to wait to see if I get the dress how it looks and if the school may approve)... But she says that the dress may come up high on my daughter's knees.

Any help is appreciated!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaded
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006 12:54:17 AM »

You absolutely could make a dress in 20 days... but if you've never done it before it might be quite time consuming, and if you have to sew by hand, I can almost guarantee it will take a long time, unless you're not picky about how your seams look.

If it were me, I would buy a dress.  Especially under time constraints, it can easily end up more expensive once you buy the materials.  If you really wanted to do something personalized, you could buy a simple dress and decorate it a little.

I'm not sure what your goals are with the future sizing questions, but in general only things with really straight and simple lines lend themselves to resizing... although since kids grow up and out I wouldn't count on anything long term.  There's always the dress to skirt or long shirt options, but beyond that you're getting really creative.

In terms of using a dress or picture for reference... it kind of depends on having the person or a dressform to fit and drape on frequently.  I would not recommend this for a beginner, but it wouldn't be out of the question.... if you had more time.

Lastly, patterns really aren't tough, just start with easy things like pyjama pants or slip dresses and build from there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
searchingforGodlyanswers
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006 10:28:56 AM »

Thank you so much for your response!   Grin
I think I might just wait for my mother to see if she will come this Tuesday with a white strapped dress that may be too short. If that doesn't work or she doesn't come here, I can just get the dress at Target or keep going to Goodwill to see if they have a white dress. If the dress my mother gets works out or I find one at Goodwill, then I can just get one at Target that she can grow into that will hopefully fit her at least 2 years, lol. Or I might still try to get her something that's a little big so she can wear it next year. Cheesy

Would it be cheaper overall to just make her own graduation dresses if the ones I like cost about $22.00 and up ( I think up to the $70s or $80s give or take). If I just get a plain one, I could just learn how to add extra designs and laces on it.

How would I go about repairing a dress with a lace tear and sewing or adding by some other means lace, shear material (something that would look good overtop and/or underneath the dress, shirt, pants, and/or skirt), ribbons, and those beautiful glittery pieces (about the size of a pinhead), sequins, and so on, to a dress to make it superb? Are there any websites that would explain in simple terms how to turn a plain dress into something fancy?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cajun Spice Rub Recipe
Maine Lobster Salad with Chef Andrew Masciangelo
Rib ‘n Chicken Spice Rub Recipe
How to make a Vegetable Egg Bake Recipe
Cheezy Quackers Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...