A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 316,235
Currently Running With Scissors:
261 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: over-ambitiousness (asking for recs for sweater designing books)  (Read 692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

facelikeallama
« on: April 28, 2006 09:04:47 PM »

I've only been knitting for under a year and I've only completed one sweater... top-down raglan, at that, no seaming involved.  But... I can't help it!  Every sweater pattern I see has something wrong with it and I have way too many ideas for things that would be fun to knit.  I've seen books on the subject of designing sweaters, but I have no idea of what would be best... something clearly written, though, obviously.   Tongue

An idea...a top-down raglan with yo increases and maybe shaping somehow hidden into the yo curviness on the sides?  I don't know if that's possible (hence the book!)  How fun would this be over a coordinating color tank top? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006 09:25:53 PM »

mmm, no idea.  i have the same problem with sweaters.  but yours looks like it could be very sexy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006 11:11:41 PM »

I have no clue how you would do that but some books that might help
I have these 2 but i have not yet made my own design, but i like the top down one because you can add shaping as you go. the sweater workshop one is intersting too.
Knitting From the Top Down
The Sweater Workshop
i don't have this one but i think it is supposed to be a good book
Sweater Design in Plain English
Good luck on that sweater i hope it works out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006 11:51:08 AM »

I can't believe it!!  Just last week I tried sketching out a sweater that looks EXACTLY like your sketches!!  I have a top that has similar lines/shaping and was trying to figure out how to work it into a sweater!!  Sadly, I'm of no help for HOW to design/write out the pattern for it... 

If you are successful, let us know!  I want to make that sweater!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
facelikeallama
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006 07:02:30 PM »

Thanks!  That Sweater Design In Plain English sounds like the perfect books for me. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gymkeiki
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006 11:19:25 AM »

Anne Budd's Big Book of Sweater Patterns might be a good complement to Maggie Righetti at this stage. Righetti talks about body shapes and color usage, while Budd provides the actual math for all the shaping for various sizes and gauges.

The two books are invaluable, but not interchangeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
svea
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006 09:00:26 AM »

looks like it could be sweet. however, as your sketch is curvy and sexy (snug fit) your yos dont correspond to that. the bust might need short row shaping, the yos at the back would have to have k2tog next to them, otherwise your sweater would fit the humpback of notre-dame Wink

but as a lacy/holey pattern it could work well, and then use proper yos (i.e. no compensating for them, but use them as increases) when you want to shape around the waist/hips.

i havent designed anything myself yet but have knitted a gazillion things and it doesnt look too hard to work out a pattern for it.

i guess it might be a case of 'designing while you are knitting' though - and dont be afraid to frogg sections, too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...