A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: great stores in Phoenix?  (Read 3560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinafish
« on: July 13, 2004 09:48:39 AM »

I was hoping to ask a few of you in town of good places to shop for crafty stuff?

I know that SAS fabrics by the pound is a great place for cheap fabric. I've also heard of tempe sales...any others? Some good thirft stores?

thanks!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004 09:21:06 PM »

alrighty!  here i go!  some of these are obvious, but i'm just listing everything.

my absolute favorite thrift store is just a run-of-the-mill goodwill on the corner of mcclintock and southern in tempe.  i've always found my best bargains there.  but it's also great for another reason- three, count em, THREE more fabric/craft stores on that corner or less than a block away.  goodwill is on the corner with the staples and the outback, joanns is on the corner where they're building the new walgreens, and hancocks is in the plaza with the bashas and the blockbuster (AND it's next door to my favorite 99 cent store, too!)  and just a block down the street is michaels, on price and southern.

sas is great.  i haven't been there in monthes because they keep weird hours.  i haven't really found any great fabric there, though they do sell a lot of home decor fabrics (at least when i was there) and that's not quite me.  they have tons of cool buttons and ribbons and patches and baubles etc though, which is what i love them for.

outside of tempe and mesa i'm really clueless.  however, i know the location of multitudes of thrift stores and 99 cent stores here, so if that's you, let me know.  i've honestly gone to ordering fabric online because you can find such unique items (though it is a bit more expensive). 

let me know if i can be anymore help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004 03:46:35 PM »

i never even knew there was a joanns in that parking lot for the longest time till you posted somewhere else that there was one there! i stopped by and was thrilled! i've been to that hancock once, and then i've been to the michaels down the street also. the others you listed...i'm gonna go to those now! yay!

i've only been here 4 years so i'm still making my list of craft stores! i will definitely be asking you where to go and what stores are best when i need some advice! thanks for your post... i will for sure check out that thirft store this weekend!!  thirft stores are the ones i'm on the look out for. if there are any more that you know of...i'd love to stop at those too! thanks again.
 Grin
tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004 11:20:28 PM »

this is more for clothes.... but buffallo exchange on unversity and ash is great.  they carry more trendy secondhand clothes and they're not as supercheap as a goodwill or salvation army.  my brother and his girlfriend go their twice a month and he's found some jeans that are normally $100+ for $15.  it's cool and funky and you can sometimes find really unique items for a fair price.  (also!  zia records across the street is the best music store.  i used to live down the street from there and walk there before they closed at midnight.  you can actually find GOOD records there, not just the same old crap at the thrift store.  of course they sell cds and movies and posters and stuff too)

that joanns really is great.  i think they must order from some of the same places that some of the retro online textile stores do.  i've held off on a fabric online and found it at that joanns for cheaper a few weeks later Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004 11:37:19 AM »

I love Buffalo Exchange and Zia.. those places are the best. I swear most of my cd collection is from there.

I went to the goodwill on broadway and mcclintock yesterday and found 2 awesome pillowcases for purse linings or skirts for just $1. I just did a search for Tempe thrift stores just a while ago and I'm gonna check them out this weekend! let me know if you know of more!

thanks again!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004 11:45:31 PM »

Around about Southern and Kyrene-ish there is an ARC Thrift Store. They are in the same strip mall area that the 'Yucca Tap Room' is in (you can see it from the street - the tap room that is). I got my sewing table there. It was a table for for salon annd has 8 outlets on it. Wonderful table, nice little thrift store.

There is also a thrift store, Gracies I think, on Apache not far from SAS. SAS by the way is also really good for trim, at least last time i was there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
tinafish
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004 07:29:46 AM »

i've always seen the ARC thrift store but never got the chance to go in. i'll have to check that out sometime this weekend. i checked out your site and then recognized your pink messenger bag right away from the other thread i love your bag by the way and really want to try out your zipper technique. i've tried the other two and both have been quite time consuming for me. i'm not the greatest with the sewing machine.

didn't know you were in az! it doesn't make any of us from arizona any closer to eachother really, but it's nice to know other people in az... we can share these cool store locations! yay!  Cheesy

Around about Southern and Kyrene-ish there is an ARC Thrift Store. They are in the same strip mall area that the 'Yucca Tap Room' is in (you can see it from the street - the tap room that is). I got my sewing table there. It was a table for for salon annd has 8 outlets on it. Wonderful table, nice little thrift store.

There is also a thrift store, Gracies I think, on Apache not far from SAS. SAS by the way is also really good for trim, at least last time i was there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004 09:24:30 AM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004 01:22:21 PM »

Actually I think I work with one of your friends IRL. *sings It's a Small World*  Grin

Ya, I haven't been into the ARC one for a while but I've been itching to go lately since I've started coming here again. Went to the Goodwill on Southern/McClintock last week but didn't find anything to my liking. I suppose I should use up all the supplies in my craft room first.  Tongue

Thank for the comments on the bag. The zipper technique was real easy for me (I stink at zippers) but I haven't treid the other methods out there to compare.

Oh and if no one mentioned it yet, there is another Goodwill across from Fiesta Mall in Mesa...Southern and Alma School or some such. And the one in Chandler near Craftmart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004 07:41:03 AM »

i think that is way too weird. i was talking to candace and she just mentioned that she knew you...haha. it IS a small world.  Grin

i'll be sure to check out the other stores you mentioned here. there are never enough thirft stores to rummage through! there is one place that i have found really cheap pillow cases and sheets and things.. it is on apache road going east...(turning into main street). i'm not sure of the crossroad but if you're coming from ASU and heading east it's on your left hand side. i think it may be a little bit past alma school, but i could be wrong. i'll be on the look out the next time i head over there. it's pretty big and has a big blue and white sign out front. anyway, thanks for adding to the list!  Smiley

Actually I think I work with one of your friends IRL. *sings It's a Small World*  Grin

Ya, I haven't been into the ARC one for a while but I've been itching to go lately since I've started coming here again. Went to the Goodwill on Southern/McClintock last week but didn't find anything to my liking. I suppose I should use up all the supplies in my craft room first.  Tongue

Thank for the comments on the bag. The zipper technique was real easy for me (I stink at zippers) but I haven't treid the other methods out there to compare.

Oh and if no one mentioned it yet, there is another Goodwill across from Fiesta Mall in Mesa...Southern and Alma School or some such. And the one in Chandler near Craftmart.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004 11:14:39 AM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004 02:59:40 PM »

I think that one is Gracie's.

I've also found that camping stores can be good to find grommets, straps, d-rings and backpack like buckles and stuff. One place I want to try is Larada's in Mesa (like Main & Extension I think). It's an army surplus store that I haven't been to in quite some time. If I recall they had a lot of straps by the yard, bandanas and stuff like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004 10:33:11 PM »

I think that one is Gracie's.

i've been to gracies.. that one is much smaller. the other one is quite big and further east..i'll post it as soon as i remember the name...it's something so plain and simple, but i dont remember it...for all i know it could be like "mesa thrift store" haha. anyway, thanks for adding the surplus store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004 11:13:51 PM »

Embarrassed I didn't read carefully enough and missed the 'past alma school' part. d'oi LOL It could be 'mesa thrift store'. I checked the phonex book today and there is one called that on Main.  Grin There seems to be quite a few places in mesa, I'll have to start going to some of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004 09:14:00 AM »

You know that great corner in Tempe that has the Jo-Ann's, Goodwill, and Hancock's? Well, it is ever better now! There is a new thrift store on the same corner of the Goodwill, except is is over by the Joe's Crab Shack. It's Called Ka-Ching or something and it benefits UCP. Went in yesterday for the first time and got knitting needles for 25 cents, 3 packets of interfacing for $1! Yay!

It's McClintock & Southern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinafish
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2004 10:55:31 AM »

that's to weird! i was over at that corner yesterday! i went to joann's got some awesome yarn and some interfacing, then went to goodwill and found a really cute pillowcase for 35 cents! it'll be a skirt soon! too bad i didnt stop by the kaching store! i've been in there before but wasn't too impressed. i'll have to go back for some of that interfacing!!  Cheesy

You know that great corner in Tempe that has the Jo-Ann's, Goodwill, and Hancock's? Well, it is ever better now! There is a new thrift store on the same corner of the Goodwill, except is is over by the Joe's Crab Shack. It's Called Ka-Ching or something and it benefits UCP. Went in yesterday for the first time and got knitting needles for 25 cents, 3 packets of interfacing for $1! Yay!

It's McClintock & Southern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004 04:19:42 PM »

Great suggestions.  I have checked out most of those but must also recommend the Goodwill on Main near Lindsay in Mesa.  I have made some great finds there.  including an awesome 70's dress for a prom themed birthday party years ago.  I highy recommend it but don't tell too many people!  ;-)

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Luli Fama Spring/Summer 2014 - Swimwear - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Biggest Fall Fashion Trends
DIY Cut Off Denim Shorts
Luxury Lounge-Wear for Less: Cozy Up in Style and on a Budget
ABC Family and Wet Seal Collaborate on Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...