A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super-cute Betsey Johnson dress... help!  (Read 3084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wickedviolet

Running with needles.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2006 11:05:19 AM »

Alright, ladies...  I'm dying to make this incredibly adorable Betsey Johnson dress:

I've never made anything from scratch before, so I'm thinking of starting from a pattern and altering it from there.  Any ideas on how to make it?  I'm also a bit of a novice, but totally up to the challenge, so please excuse me if I ask really dumb questions.  Roll Eyes

<3 Vi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Social interaction, creative marketing, making dreams happen & craftiness: LisaAshby.com
Creative Inspiration: Craft & Creative
Debt-Free Podcast: Rebound
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006 11:25:47 AM »

prayer!!!   sorry I am  not a  clothing  sewer but it is  gorgous and please  do  post  pics  one  you get it  made...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
ruis2002
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006 11:52:27 AM »

Maybe some of these patterns would help?

from Vogue Patterns:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2903=x&TI=20006&page=1

and Simplicity's online catalog at

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=1&type=1&sec=1&id=1&startrow=1

a Simplicity pattern you might try:  4116
THIS ROCKS   Logged
No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006 11:53:58 AM »

How novice is novice?  I would say if you don't know how to draft a pattern, don't even go there.  This is not a super simple dress (is there smocking under the bust?).  But I shouldn't say anything.  My first sewing venture when I was a teenager was a drafted pattern and had tons of pin tucks all across the bodice, buttons and button holes, blah blah blah..  Grin  I survived and am still sewing like mad.

1)  Start with a pattern and alter
2)  Don't buy nice fabric the first go round--make a "mock-up" out of inexpensive fabric
3)  Don't use silk or any slinky fabric if you aren't already accustomed to sewing with it, because it will drive you nutty  Grin  No stripes, diagonals, one-way patterns.  All over pattern or solid in cotton would be safest
4)  I would sew on the buttons and not worry about sewing fabric loops and all that jazz. (I can't tell from the picture if they're sewn on or not--I'm thinking no?)
5)  And make sure to get the right measurements when you go pattern searching--pattern sizes are very different from ready to wear
6)  If you are really really novice at sewing, I might even suggest starting out with a simpler dress pattern to get accustomed to things.  This could be a second or third project.  Having something under your belt to look back on--something easy and quick that looks fab--makes tackling the tougher projects sooo much easier!

Good Luck--it's huber cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wickedviolet

Running with needles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006 03:50:06 PM »

I like the Simplicity pattern.  That could be a good start.

I've drafted very simple patterns - absolutely nothing like this.  But, I'm in need of a good challenge, so I'm ready to take it on!  Grin  Thanks for the help so far... great ideas ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Social interaction, creative marketing, making dreams happen & craftiness: LisaAshby.com
Creative Inspiration: Craft & Creative
Debt-Free Podcast: Rebound
DontEatCrayons
Just Fabulous Darling

crafty embroideress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006 05:25:49 AM »

this looks quite similar and it would be fairly easy to put buttons down the front. i have this pattern but i havent used it yet so do let us know how it goes Smiley

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2784=x&TI=20009&page=6
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006 08:00:11 AM »

none of the pattern links are good for this dress, it is really much easier to do the pattern changes on your own:

find a pattern with a bodice that has darts on the waist and the bust.  the neckline is meaningless, you change that to suit you.  likewise, the buttons on this dress are decorative only, since we can see there is no closure in the back i'm guessing the zipper is in the left side seam.

rotate the bust dart to the shoulder.

when you sew the bodice, instead of sewing the darts, you pleat the ones on the shoulder, and you shirr the ones at the waist.

to make the puff sleeve, slash the sleeve pattern from the cap to the hem, in at least three places, spread the cap BUT NOT THE HEM (you will be making little wedge-shaped openings).  pleat the cap instead of easing it.

pleat the skirt in line with the bodice shirring.

re-read everything no aloha wrote, print it out and put it above your sewing machine.  esp. follow advice #2--if you are serious about making this dress right, you need to make a trial run before cutting into good fabric.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
meli-melo
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006 02:24:13 PM »

I'm very curious to see how this turns out - good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Club Flyer - Xenofex Lightning Effect Filter Part 8/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Layer Styles Custom Brushes Part 10/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Finishing Up Part 14/14
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating a Logo Part 6/14
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...