A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler's Chunky Cotton Tank  (Read 20146 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2004 09:02:51 PM »

This is my first experiment in creating my own non-dishcloth/scarf pattern.  It uses Bernat Cottontots.  It looks and feels a little heavy for a tank top, but in my part of the US, where during the spring and fall it can go from 40 in the morning to 80 that afternoon, this is exactly the kind of transitional top that is perfect!  Plus, worn over a T-Shirt would be adorable.  I eyeballed it based on some of my daughters 2T tops, and it does match up to the same size, but it fits her a little bigger than most of that stuff does.  May be the shape.  It used a little less than 2 balls of the verigated (We'll call this Color A) and probably less than half a ball of the solid color (So, that'd make this Color B), plus five 1/2" buttons.

Anyway, the pattern is super easy.  It uses exclusively single crochet (and chain) except for the flowers.

Here it is:

Guage with Cottontots yarn on a 4.75mm hook is 9 stitches and 10 rows per 2" in pattern.

For Pattern Ribbing, crochet into ONLY the back loop of each stich in the previous row throughout garment.  (Excluding flowers and edging.)  You're crocheting sideways, sort of.  Here's a diagram of what the completed piece, before stitching, will look like.

http://venus.walagata.com/w/lothruin/jumperdiagram.bmp

With Color A, chain 36.  
Turn, sc in second chain from hook.  
Sc across row.
Turn, then sc into only back loop of next stitch.  
Continue across row.  
Complete seven rows (total, but not including chain row) like this.  You should end at the "top" edge.  
At end of seventh row, instead of chaining to turn, chain 15.  
Turn and complete seven rows in pattern on 49 stitches.  This should put you back at the bottom edge again.  
Begin another row, but only sc 32.  
Turn, and complete a total of 19 rows (including the one you just completed).  
Chain 18 at end of 19th row.  
Turn, complete 7 rows total on 49 stitches, again ending at the bottom edge.  
On the next row, sc only 35.  
Complete 25 rows on 35 stitches, chaining 15 on last row.
Complete 7 rows at 49 stitches, ending at bottom edge.  
Sc 32 stitches for 19 rows, chaining 18 on last row.  
Complete 7 rows at 49 stitches, ending at bottom edge.  
Complete 16 rows on 35 stitches.
Switch to Color B.  Complete 5 rows on 35 stitches.

Finishing:  Sew tops of straps together.  (I'm terrible at this, which is why there are flowers there.)  Sc edging with Color B around all edges.  For button holes:  Along the edge crocheted with Color B, during edging, sc 3 stitches from bottom edge, *chain two, sc into third stitch from last sc, sc 4 more stitches (5 stitches total).  Repeat from * three more times.  Chain two, sc into third stitch from last sc, sc one more to bring you to edge of row.  

http://venus.walagata.com/w/lothruin/Tankdetail.jpg
These are the buttonholes, up close and personal, just in case my instructions weren't clear.

For flowers, if you need or want them:  Chain 6, sc into first chain, Dc 1, then sc 1 into ring to complete first petal.  Next four petals each consist of 1 sc, 1 dc, 1 sc into ring.  Join with slip stitch to first sc and clip, leaving enough tail to sew.  Make two.  Leaves:  Chain 4, turn, sc into second chain from hook, dc into next stitch, then chain one and clip, leaving tails for sewing.  Make 2.

This is such a great basic pattern!  You can do all sorts of things with it.  Fancy up the edging with scalloped edges around the neck and bottom edges.  Put the flowers on the front.  Heck, put any darn thing you want on the front!  I may have gotton the buttons wrong, I really don't know.  (As far as which side is supposed to overlap which other side for girls clothing vs for boys clothing...)  The only thing which determines whether the off-center buttons are on the right or left side is which direction you work your edging.  So, if I did it wrong, you can fix it.   Cheesy  You can make the shirt longer by just making the rows longer, or by adding decorative longish edgings.  (I'm working up a pattern that includes a curled sc edging during construction instead of finishing, and I think it'll be really cute.)  Plus, it's cotton, so WILL block pretty well, or shrink a little if you need it to.  You could modify the pattern nearly endlessly to substitute lighter or heavier yarns or to make bigger or smaller sizes.  This would even be an EASY pattern to modify to adult sizes!

Note:  I never blocked this.  And I've never washed it.  I honestly don't know what will happen when I do, as I've never worked with this yarn before.  But, in all honesty, it's too big for my daughter right now, so if it shrinks, I won't be too upset.  However, I could anticipate some issues with the button holes after washing, and would recommend being gentle while washing and drying.  Don't remember what the care instructions on the yarn label were, but I assume laying flat, being sure the button holes aren't shrunken, is a good idea.  And hey, a failed experiment using cotton yarn always equals extra dishclothes!

So, I hope my first attempt at a crochet pattern isn't completely lame, and I hope second attempt at a tutorial is less lame than my first.  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012 11:53:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Laamissa
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004 08:58:24 PM »

VERY CUTE AND WELL DONE!!!
I love your attention to the smaller details too!  The flowers on top of where you connected are so perfect for hiding the seam and the button holes are so nice for easy changing!
LOVE IT!  the colors blended nicely too!
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
girlypirate

my arms are too short to box with God.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004 04:24:01 AM »

this is a really great design.  now i'm thinking adult sizes since you charted it so nicely.  beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 12:23:03 PM »

That is VERY CUTE!!! My daughter is almost 18 months, I bet by the time get around to trying this out it will be ready for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004 02:41:11 PM »

Thanks, guys.  It was fun to make, and went REALLY fast!  And, it inspired me to try some new things, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
flybabytina
I'm a long haired, barefoot, crocheting momma

Professional Pumpkin Sculpter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006 08:09:11 AM »

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pattern too, I will be sure to make one (or more) of these!

Tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy store now! - http://flybabytina.etsy.com
PianoBabay
Piano Babay

Something Wicked This Way Comes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011 11:03:56 AM »

Cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*BABY K*~ I'm open to personal swaps for Harry Potter things, hippie items, dresses or wiccan things. Message me
 You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
 Make love NOT war.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Short Hair for a Festival
Hottest Celebrity Summer Hair Trends
Beach Bunny Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Tips To Make Your Blowout Last
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Red Ombre Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...