A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stained glass patch tutorial  (Read 16197 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2006 10:42:58 AM »

I had been using cheap craft felt for the base material.  Depending on your needs, a different fabric could (and probably should) be used.  If youre working on a relatively large patch you plan to later applique onto another item felt is good because you dont need a hoop.  With the big thick satin stitches, you almost need a scroll frame to prevent the mashing and damage that would be caused by an ordinary hoop if the design were to be caught in the edges.  But if youre making a large design the felt tends to stretch while you work, unevenly distorting the finished product.  Something that needs to be machine washable should not be made with cheap craft felt.  I am using DMC embroidery floss because its cheap and readily available, but you could use any fiber/fabric combo that suited your fancy.

1.   Find a nice picture of a stained glass window or any other picture you can divide up into component chunks.

2.   Transfer the design outline to your fabric (using your preferred method, appropriate for the fabric.)  My favorite cheap easy trick for a project like this where the outline will be completely covered is to print the design on an inkjet printer, place the sheet face down on your fabric and heat the paper with an iron.  The heat transfer process that originally fixed the image to the paper will also transfer the image to the fabric.  (NOTE this method is not suitable for acrylic felt!  It melts!  I use a light box and extra fine Sharpie pen for felt.)

3.   Outline the leading in black backstitch.  

4.   Fill in the pieces of glass with satin stitch.  Getting the stitches to lay flat can be tricky, but I have a few tips.  I usually use all six strands for maximum coverage and speed, but it is crucial that you separate the strands before threading the needle.  Otherwise, you end up with a fat twisted rope that doesnt look good.

5.   When the design is all filled in, carefully trim off the extra fabric.  I like to do this from the back so you can see where all the threads are.  Its OK if you lightly nip one of the black threads that forms the outline of the shape because you will be sewing over that in the next step.  Its not OK if you snip one of the colored threads, be careful.

6.   Using the black floss again, use an overhand stitch to wrap over the raw edges.  If youre patient here you can continue to separate the strands of floss for a smoother finish, but I usually give up by this point.  Its important that the stitches are very close together.  Also, it looks lumpy if you go back to fill in a void between stitches, so be careful to get it right the first time.

(Sorry, it was hard totake a  picture of myself sewing...)

7.      You're done!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011 06:22:27 AM by kittykill - Reason: Fixed image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006 10:48:17 AM »

Here are some others I did for "a buggy swap".

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/45066bugsd.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012 08:53:39 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dansk
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006 10:49:01 AM »

What a great tutorial!

Brilliant idea and wonderful finished product! Your patches are so professional looking.

I am definately going to try this out. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006 10:59:22 AM »

Wow they are beautiful, but must take asolutely forever to make!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006 11:15:48 AM »

wow that is beautiful!! geeze! great job! and great tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 11:23:45 AM »

Nah, they don't take too long.  I used about 3 extremely unfocused nights on the sailboat.  Smaller ones are obviously quite bit quicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006 11:28:54 AM »

Beautiful patches, and wonderful tutorial! Very clear. Thanks so much for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bilblio
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006 12:30:17 PM »

They're amazing.
I'm going to have to dig out my glass painting books. Thankyou so much for the tutorial,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - http://www manickitty.co.uk/
My wists - http://www.wists.com/bilblio/
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006 01:43:34 PM »

Your patches are awesome!

I love the look of stained glass, so it's always cool to see a new way of using it...and I've recently got back into needlecrafts like cross stitch and embroidery, so I'll definitely have to try this out.  Thanks for sharing  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006 03:05:03 PM »

Trifarina these are so awesome.  I love how the combination of varigated and solid color floss really gives it that multicolor look like stained glass. These are so beautiful.  and just in case nobody is aware, that sailboat design came from the Westsail logo, which just happens to be the boat I live on!  I love this technique.  I can't wait to try one myself, although mine will be small, but not too small, because I am a clod and just hope I don't screw it all up.  I love love love these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Week Round-Ups: SXSW Style Guide
Style Battle: Lady Gaga Vs Katy Perry
Top Trends for Spring
VMA 2013 Style Winners and Losers!
Gwyneth Paltrow: Style Wins and Fails
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...