A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stained glass patch tutorial  (Read 15353 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Paperdaisies

Let's dance in the rain or at least run crazy!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006 05:18:22 PM »

Wow, these are gorgeous! I absolutely adore them! I have to try my hand at making some...now to find a design... Cheesy

Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006 04:10:39 AM »

I found a book for Gallery Glass (stained glass look with paint) that has lots of good designs for this (made a leaf a few months ago). I'm not completely sure what to do with it though.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
mirela
mirela

I can do that!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007 11:52:43 AM »

Waw they look great!
I'm not that good and patient with hand stitches...but I would love to be able to make patches like yours
Can this be done on a sewing machine? if sew...how?
I have a Brother CS 8150
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everywear by Mirela

Cutting Edge Stitches and Seams Blog

Find me on:
Ravelry:     mirela
BurdaStyle: mirela
Flicker:      fmirela
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007 12:21:52 PM »

I don't have one of those sewing machines you can program to do embroidery...  so I don't know about doing it by machine...  Sorry!  I'm sure it could be done though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007 08:04:20 PM »

You could try staggering your elongated diamond stitch (so the large area of the diamond hits at the join between the diamonds below it) for filler, and do the black stem stitch by hand, although you'd have to pick fairly regular objects (layers of satin stitch scallops might work too).  You can use your machine's satin stitch (basically a zig zag with a short stitch length, like for buttonholes) to draw the black "lead" areas, but I don't think it would work well for the edges (you'd have to do the outside edge by hand). The filler won't look the same, but you might be able to achieve a similar effect.

Frankly, though, I think it'd take more patience to line that sort of thing up than it would to do it by hand.  Since you're working with 6 strands of floss, it does fill quickly (especially with smaller objects. I think the leaf I did took ~10 hours, but it was about the size of a 3 by 5 card (it also helps if you don't have anything else you can do, and you do it in spurts. For example, it's a great project for longish car rides, or to do while waiting at the doctor's office). It's small, requires a needle, some floss, scissors (or nail clippers), and the piece of felt you're working on, so it would all fit in a ziplock bag. 

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007 08:21:36 PM »

Wow! What a cool idea! I'm inspired to try this, despite my lack of embroidery skill. Satin stitch doesn't look too complicated... but could a novice do it? And if I went the cheap way and used felt as the backing, would it work to use a piece of fusible interfacing to keep it from stretching out? Thanks for the tutorial, and beautiful embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007 09:03:50 PM »

A novice could totally do it, just start small.

I think the heat fusing of the fusible interfacing might melt the felt.

BUT I'm home for christmas and there are so many more supplies here...  I saw something at Joann's that was a stiffened felt.  i forget what it was called (friendly felt, fabulous felt?), but wonder if this would do the trick...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007 06:47:21 AM »

Yeah, that stuff's really stiff, but I really didn't have much of a problem with the felt stretching out.  You could use a piece of interfacing (or stabilizer) and sew it to your felt around the area you're planning to embroider (although you could probably leave the stitches to secure the stabilizer in, since there's a pretty significant layer of floss over the entire thing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
mirela
mirela

I can do that!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007 06:21:21 PM »

Thanks! I'll try it someday and post again Smiley
You could try staggering your elongated diamond stitch (so the large area of the diamond hits at the join between the diamonds below it) for filler, and do the black stem stitch by hand, although you'd have to pick fairly regular objects (layers of satin stitch scallops might work too).  You can use your machine's satin stitch (basically a zig zag with a short stitch length, like for buttonholes) to draw the black "lead" areas, but I don't think it would work well for the edges (you'd have to do the outside edge by hand). The filler won't look the same, but you might be able to achieve a similar effect.

Frankly, though, I think it'd take more patience to line that sort of thing up than it would to do it by hand.  Since you're working with 6 strands of floss, it does fill quickly (especially with smaller objects. I think the leaf I did took ~10 hours, but it was about the size of a 3 by 5 card (it also helps if you don't have anything else you can do, and you do it in spurts. For example, it's a great project for longish car rides, or to do while waiting at the doctor's office). It's small, requires a needle, some floss, scissors (or nail clippers), and the piece of felt you're working on, so it would all fit in a ziplock bag. 

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everywear by Mirela

Cutting Edge Stitches and Seams Blog

Find me on:
Ravelry:     mirela
BurdaStyle: mirela
Flicker:      fmirela
Paperdaisies

Let's dance in the rain or at least run crazy!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2007 05:23:05 PM »

I used this tutorial! I loved making these! Here all the three I made...(my stitches are quite messy, but I don't mind!) They're sewn onto a bag with some of my badge collection, I hope you can still see everything ok!

You can see them all up a little closer in this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=147981.0(I don't want to spam up this post with lots of pictures!...I hope this is the right thing to do!)

Thanks so much for this great tutorial, I love buttons and patches and this was just what I was looking for! Thanks again! Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007 05:31:44 PM by Paperdaisies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop 2/2
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
how to Make a Picture Look Like A Painting in Photoshop
How to Create an Electric Text Effect In Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...