A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt from a Bedsheet - Looking for a Good Pattern!  (Read 668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pepelutivursky
It could be worse. There could be zombies.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2006 09:05:04 AM »

Recently found this twin-sized fitted sheet at a Goodwill.  I'm going to have the stripes running up and down on the skirt so there's more than enough fabric.
I'm a plus sized girl (waist 39", hips a 54") so I'm going to make this skirt with an elastic waist.  My problem, though, is what kind of skirt to make.  I thought perhaps a circle skirt, or a circle skirt done in panels.  I'm looking for something about knee length of a little longer, with a bit of flow that would look nice casual with a tanktop or good for a litle more informal, perhaps with a nice top and a pair of cute sandals.  Somethins breezy, light and well-suited for the plus-sized gal.
Any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chloe_hippy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006 09:08:51 AM »

i don't have any ideas for you but i just had to pipe up and tell you i feeel your pain when it comes to finding patterns to fit those emasurements, they are exactly the same as my own.

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pepelutivursky
It could be worse. There could be zombies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006 10:27:50 AM »

i don't have any ideas for you but i just had to pipe up and tell you i feeel your pain when it comes to finding patterns to fit those emasurements, they are exactly the same as my own.

It IS, to find anything save a circle skirt.  That looks relatively nice, at that  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006 05:48:51 PM »

if you make a circle skirt with this fabric, the stripes will be vertical on the front and back but they will be horizontal on the sides.

if you make it a full circle, but in panels (which are called gores) you must cut each gore with the stripe running vertically thru the center of the gore in order for the skirt to hang without twisting.  cut this way, the stripes will chevron.

have you considered a pleated skirt?  you can stitch down the pleats from the waist to the hips, so that you still have a very fitted look like you would with a circle skirt, then the fullness is released below.  that would preserve the verticality of the stripes AND give you a cool variation where the stripes lap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Inna
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006 06:32:07 PM »

I think an A line skirt would look better - better yet a 6 gore skirt. I am looking for a pattern myself because I am too lazy to make myself one. When I do I will share it though.
To make a six gore skirt pattern you take your waist measurement plus a couple of inches for ease and divide that by six - this is the measurement for the top of your panel (A), then you measure how long you want your skirt = the length of your panel (B). Then you add a few inches to A measurement to get your measurement (C) for the bottom of the panel.
Then you need to add seam allowance around your panel. cut six pieces the same. A zipper will need to be added to get into it though.
A bit confusing, no?

I was so wrong - I just made the patterns.

I can't get it to look good - just pm me and I will send you a pdf of the pattern.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006 09:00:56 AM by Inna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Timer Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Image Resolution Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Image Quality Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Manual Mode (M)
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...