A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted kitchen countertops  (Read 8533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mayviss
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006 02:20:58 PM »

I'm not sure.  I can't say I've ever put food on directly on it.  I think I always use a cutting board or plate between food and countertop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajjones
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006 12:58:49 AM »

wow, your counters look fantastic!

my counters all have deep grooves and bad patch jobs - when we moved in the landlords swore up and down that they were going to replace it - like thats ever going to happen!

I wish I could refinish our counters like this. Is it durable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mayviss
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006 05:12:07 AM »

I wish I could refinish our counters like this. Is it durable?

It seems to be just fine.  They clean up great.  I've only had them done a few weeks but I've had no problems at all.

If you have grooves, you can fill them with wood filler and sand.  I had two spots that I filled in and you cannot tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006 06:28:21 AM »

I have a friend who did this and they put six layers of polyurethane on it and it has looked great for the past 8 years.
They just treat it like it cost them a million.
No hot pans, not cutting on the surface.. so an and so forth.
Great idea thou.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
ajjones
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006 12:07:51 AM »

If you have grooves, you can fill them with wood filler and sand.  I had two spots that I filled in and you cannot tell.

Unfortunately, the grooves are so deep that the top laminate layer has started to peel up - the damage is so bad that short of ripping up the laminate layer there really isn't anything I can do for refinishing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beep
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006 10:41:13 AM »

GREAT JOB! I am going to do this with my rental property but may consider a rustic color because of the floors that we already have. But then again, I love the greyish color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006 06:11:42 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhh............. I love this! Now here is my question..... The paint dude told me to use Kilz's for surfaces that were non pourous (such as a laminate counter top) surfaces <we were wanting to paint one of those stupid cheaply made , yet all to expensive entertainment center neon pink for my lil girls room!  Well, the paint started peeling. Even though we did two layers of Kilz let it dry for 48 hours each time. Then we had one layer of the pink paint and let it cure for 48 hours then we sealed it with 2 layers of poly...... Any suggestions? Is this just a bad experience and a bad idea to do it for the kids room since they are so hard on stuff? Any suggestions? Do you mind if I copy you and do my kitchen counter? LMAO It is the bright horrible blue..... neon almost....... is there any step you would recommend to ensure no chipping or peeling and such since I have kids? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
thumbkin
manic butterfly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006 12:08:08 PM »

Ohhhhhhhhh............. I love this! Now here is my question..... The paint dude told me to use Kilz's for surfaces that were non pourous (such as a laminate counter top) surfaces <we were wanting to paint one of those stupid cheaply made , yet all to expensive entertainment center neon pink for my lil girls room!  Well, the paint started peeling. Even though we did two layers of Kilz let it dry for 48 hours each time. Then we had one layer of the pink paint and let it cure for 48 hours then we sealed it with 2 layers of poly......

I painted one of those laminate bookshelves and used a primer specifically made for painting on plastic. I had no peeling at all.
You could probably use those spray paints made for plastic too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Maze
How to Draw a Boy Using the Word "Boy"
How to Draw Manga
How to Draw a Nude Woman
How to Brian Griffin
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...