A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: free dress pattern at Martha Stewart BluePrint magazine  (Read 22290 times)
Tags for this thread: martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prairietransplant
« on: April 24, 2006 07:52:49 PM »

i was just surfing (ie/ procrastinating) and came across a free pattern! on the page for martha stewart's new magazine.  it looks pretty shapeless but could still be cute, and hey,  for 11 seams and 2 meters of fabric, i might just try it!  if anyone has made this or makes it, i'd love to know how it turns out.

here's the link:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=K0GKCXOFTJV5TWCKUUWSJBWYJKSS2JO0?type=learn-cat&id=cat21548&rsc=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006 05:22:21 AM »

That IS a cute dress!
But I hate to tell the fashion editor.....she did NOT design that pattern. I have instructions for that exact same dress dating back to the 1980's, from an article in a women's magazine!! In fact, I actually made one when I was in high school.
I actually posted the instructions for this in my Get Crafty blog quite a while back.

Aha!! Here it is, from April 2005...exact same dress! If you click on "my pictures" at the top of the page, it will show you a pictoral instruction sheet I made. Included in my blog are comments, of course, and my suggestions for variations.

http://www.getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=Sewlittletime&entry=3040

Hope the link works! this is the 1st time I've ever included one here.

P.S. Actually, I should say that...... Unless she is old enough to have contributed a fashion article to a magazine in the early 80's, Katie Hatch wasn't the one to think up this pattern first.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006 06:14:47 AM by Sewlittletime » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006 10:48:06 AM »

actually, this "pattern" is even older than that--it goes back at least one full century (at least, that is how far back my documentation goes), it is the same design as the pillowcase dresses that so many people make for their children.  i posted my own variation on this design on my rostitchery blog in june of 2004:

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/2004/06/done_is_better_.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Sewlittletime

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006 12:58:38 PM »

actually, this "pattern" is even older than that--it goes back at least one full century (at least, that is how far back my documentation goes), it is the same design as the pillowcase dresses that so many people make for their children.  i posted my own variation on this design on my rostitchery blog in june of 2004:

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/2004/06/done_is_better_.html

Hiya Ro!
Well, how about that! I had no idea it went back that far!
I love your wee tot version!
The one I made way back when was made w/ cotton fabric...navy blue background w/ teensy flowers all over it. It was sweet! I still have the fabric, since I couldn't bring myself to give it up after I outgrew the dress.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prairietransplant
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006 09:02:54 PM »

wow, that is too funny.  i feel so naive!  (and also feel like running out to value village to their magazine/craft section to see what other classic patterns are out there).  Ro, your daughter is just gorgeous--and i don't say that about all babies.  it would be so fun to be able to sew mini-clothes! 

i'm disappointed in martha...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006 05:28:02 AM »

thanks for the nice compliment prairietransplant!  my sweet ella is not a little baby anymore, it seems that overnight she turned into a little girl.  she's only 2, but she seems so grown up when i compare to the picture in that post.

don't feel naive--i bet you're young.  i have been sewing for 40 years (ok, 39, but 40 sounds more impressive).  plus, my job requires me to do a lot of research on stuff like this, i probably devote 10 hours a week just to study and documentation.

and don't be disappointed in martha--she's just a businesswoman, doing business.

oh, about mini-clothes: ella is my 1/2 scale model.  when i make toiles of costume designs, i make them her size.  she has edwardian costumes, biblical costumes, tutus, etc, all her size. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006 06:52:02 AM »

don't feel naive--i bet you're young.  i have been sewing for 40 years (ok, 39, but 40 sounds more impressive).  plus, my job requires me to do a lot of research on stuff like this, i probably devote 10 hours a week just to study and documentation.

oh, about mini-clothes: ella is my 1/2 scale model.  when i make toiles of costume designs, i make them her size.  she has edwardian costumes, biblical costumes, tutus, etc, all her size. 
Rostitchery - your site is great and you are so talented!
Your comment about sewing for 39 years made me giggle though (pictured a baby at a sewing machine because you look fab-U-lous girl!!!)
And choked on my coffee when I thought about a toddler running around in a huge wig and edwardian dress............
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
srta_idiotica
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 09:31:24 PM »

wow... she must be a hit during Halloween...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlittletime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006 03:12:53 AM »

That is such an awesome idea!! But somehow I don't think either of my sons would appreciate my subjecting them to dress fittings! LOL!
I was sorting thru some of my storage totes and came upon the Halloween box. It was so much fun to look back at the costumes I've made for the boys, especially the ones I custom made from various commercial patterns to get what i wanted! So much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006 07:45:07 AM »

unfortunately, at halloween my child is the cobbler's child--i'm usually in the midst of a mild to moderate break down at that time of year due to production schedule so ella's halloween wardrobe so far has been:

1--a onesie and halloween socks (she was only 5 weeks old, she was just lucky that this brand new mama had learned by then that she didn't need to wear 3 layers on a day when it was still in the 70's).
2--a felt a-line dress color blocked to look like a candy corn.
3--another felt a-line dress, orange with a jack-o-lantern face.

all three of these completed about 3pm on halloween.

i figure at this point, she doesn't care, so i'm not going to sweat it.

soon enough, i'm pretty sure she'll put in her order for something extravagantly tacky like a pirate cinderella.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Tall Anime Characters
How to Design Anime Hair for Girls
How to Illustrate Anime Eyes
How to Illustrate Anime Boys
How to Illustrate Anime Wings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...