A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
842 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone have a good pattern for men's shorts??  (Read 1047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

library_queen
« on: July 22, 2006 09:20:04 AM »

Ugh, men's pattern selection is so disappointing!  My boyfriend needs shorts and he HATES to shop (surprise, surprise).  Sometimes I thrift things for him, but even those pickings are slim.  A year ago, I tried a Vogue because I hear good things about them and it was a NIGHTMARE!  I measured and cut very carefully, but they were drastically too small for him!  All that hard work for nothing!  I did finish them, after throwing them angrily in the corner for a while.  They're going to his cousin, who is nine and growing fast.

If I must, I will buy the above-mentioned pattern in a bigger size and try again, because they were otherwise very nice.  But I'd like to avoid that, so if anyone has a pattern that they return to again and again, let me know.  I continue to check eBay for an old pattern that might work.  FYI, my boy is very tall and thin.  He has a 29" waist, but he can go up to a 32" waist because he likes that loose fit.  I don't want drawstring pants or pyjamas.  Nor do I want dress pants to be made into shorts.  Just ordinary jeans-like shorts.  Cargo pockets are a bonus, but I can add them myself if needed.

But yeah, it's nuts!  I've googled "men's shorts pants sewing pattern", but I didn't see as much as I'd hoped.  In fact, I always find an overwhelming number of men's shirt patterns, but no pants.  I thought the whole deal with men is that they almost always wear PANTS.  Kwik Sew and Green Pepper are still possibilities, but I'd like to some actual reviews before I get burned again.  I also have an Australian Bush Outfit pattern from Folkwear that my grammy gave to me.  I think I may try those, but they're not totally his style without a lot of fixing.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006 09:22:06 AM by library_queen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006 03:40:27 PM »

one thing to try is the free version of pattern maker.  you just enter in the measurements and print it out.  You can set the rise and the length and width too.  (Ok so its really for women, but just don't tell him, he will never know)

Go to http://www.patternmaker.com/PatternMaker%20Store/basic.html and download the basic reader.  Its worth a shot at least.  It comes with pants, collars and a shirt (ladies).  For cool pocket patterns go to www.wildginger.com and download their wildthings collection. 

both these programs are free.

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006 10:53:19 AM »

DH is just the same. He "requested" that I make him a pair of shorts, and I found it near impossible to find a pattern.

I bought this one:
http://www.burdamode.com/2713_Trousers_pants,1000003-1275114-1128998-1003846-1003872,enEN.html

Haven't actually tried it yet, but I like Burda patterns, I find their instructions very clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angelina Jolie: A Hollywood Style Star
How to Do Country Casual Style
The New Must-Have Pant for Fall
Best Boots for Under $100
10 Things You Might Not Know About Isabel Marant
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...