A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven Wire Cluster Ring  (Read 7560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 24, 2006 07:42:15 PM »

This is something I was playing with.  I've been working with silver wire for years now, but for some reason hadn't experimented with weaving.  And I don't have a workshop set up now, so I my torch and gas tanks are gathering dust in the garage until there's room, which means I can't do any soldering.  I played with the weaving a little with some scrap copper and after a few tries got comfy with the process of weaving, with a five-way braid done with two strands of wire each.  Well, that left 10 bits of wire on each end and an indeterimate way to bring the ends together.  This is what I came up with.  What do you think?

(The beads are actually lavender matte finish with some iridescence, but for some reason they show up kindof brownish in the pictures...)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009 11:12:31 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006 07:45:29 PM »

Ooh. . . Pretty!  I love it!  If only I had the money to buy silver wire. . .  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
tinab363
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 08:34:28 PM »

That is so cool.  Looks like you did an awesome job with the weaving.  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grandbabies are called grandbabies because they are GRAND!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 08:39:55 PM »

Thanks guys!

Something_weird, that's what copper is for!  It looks lovely in copper, and a spool of copper wire from the hardware store is around $3.  Plus, that way by the time you get some silver wire (which actually isn't all that much more expensive, maybe about three times the same length and gauge of copper or possibly less) you'll be really good at it.

Tinab, I found that the weaving, which in this case was just a fancy braid, came quite easily.  The above is my third "experiment" with the weaving.  I think that my friend, whom I'm teaching to weave, but who is a guy, and therefore didn't spend half his childhood braiding barbie doll hair, ribbons, his own hair, his friends' hair or countless bits of embroidery floss, is having a little more trouble with it.  He's a mail-maker, so familiar with wire, but the braiding will take a little while to get used to, I think.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006 08:41:50 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 11:00:17 PM »

Incredible!!!
I have some copper wire screaming for my attention. Grin
Many questions:
1.  what guage copper wire did you use
2. how did you hold one end of the weaving while braiding?
3.  I assume you did the weaving then the bending?

I totally, TOTALLY love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
MsChilePepper
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 02:51:21 AM »

Dude ... I think that is totally SWANK and I *WANT* ONE!

What sort of price tag would you put on a ring like that?  What if I supplied the beads to you, since I have oodles and oodles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006 06:30:51 AM »

You guys are so nice!

First off, I might have said something misleading.  To clarify, the ring in the picture is silver.  It's some of the 28 (or 30, I don't remember) gauge pure silver wire I got to play with knitting wire.  The copper I was using (I actually made a bangle bracelet out of it that turned out well) is 28 gauge, and you buy it by 150 feet, I think, at Ace Hardware.

Alohamom, if I had a vice, that's what I would have used, because that's just better all around.  But I don't, and I wouldn't have had anywhere to attach it whilst sitting on the living room floor watching TV, so I improvised.  I cut each of my lengths of wire to double the length I wanted.  In the case of the ring, I believe I cut 12" lengths.  Then, you bend them in half until there is a small loop at the bent end.  Don't twist them, though!  After I have all 5 pieces bent double, I take a piece of scrap wire (You could use string or ribbon, anything...) and feed it through the little loops, then tie or twist it so you have a sturdy loop to hang from something.  Now, you can loop that over something (I used the peg on my dog's kennel door) and start braiding.  I just finagle it so the braid starts about 1" away from the bend bits.  It takes a little doing to get it to stay and be able to push the next row snug up against it without getting too close to the end, but it's wire, and it will do what you tell it to do if you have a firm hand with it.  Then, just braid along. Once you've got a length that will come in a tiny bit under the size requirements of your ring, stop weaving, and then shape the ring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006 06:45:34 AM »

Oh, I forgot to ask the price question...  I have NO idea.  I know I tend to undervalue my work.  Does anyone have advice? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006 08:09:48 AM »

That is absolutely gorgeous Lothruin, the weaving looks fantastic Smiley I luurrrve cluster rings Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006 09:13:29 AM »

that is fantastic
its a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Feather Borders
How to Make a Text Glow Effect
How to Blur The Background on an Image in Gimp
How to Make Text Effects Instantly in Gimp
How to Make Funny Cartoons with Existing Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...