A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven Wire Cluster Ring  (Read 7313 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 24, 2006 07:42:15 PM »

This is something I was playing with.  I've been working with silver wire for years now, but for some reason hadn't experimented with weaving.  And I don't have a workshop set up now, so I my torch and gas tanks are gathering dust in the garage until there's room, which means I can't do any soldering.  I played with the weaving a little with some scrap copper and after a few tries got comfy with the process of weaving, with a five-way braid done with two strands of wire each.  Well, that left 10 bits of wire on each end and an indeterimate way to bring the ends together.  This is what I came up with.  What do you think?

(The beads are actually lavender matte finish with some iridescence, but for some reason they show up kindof brownish in the pictures...)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009 11:12:31 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006 07:45:29 PM »

Ooh. . . Pretty!  I love it!  If only I had the money to buy silver wire. . .  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
tinab363
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 08:34:28 PM »

That is so cool.  Looks like you did an awesome job with the weaving.  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grandbabies are called grandbabies because they are GRAND!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 08:39:55 PM »

Thanks guys!

Something_weird, that's what copper is for!  It looks lovely in copper, and a spool of copper wire from the hardware store is around $3.  Plus, that way by the time you get some silver wire (which actually isn't all that much more expensive, maybe about three times the same length and gauge of copper or possibly less) you'll be really good at it.

Tinab, I found that the weaving, which in this case was just a fancy braid, came quite easily.  The above is my third "experiment" with the weaving.  I think that my friend, whom I'm teaching to weave, but who is a guy, and therefore didn't spend half his childhood braiding barbie doll hair, ribbons, his own hair, his friends' hair or countless bits of embroidery floss, is having a little more trouble with it.  He's a mail-maker, so familiar with wire, but the braiding will take a little while to get used to, I think.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006 08:41:50 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 11:00:17 PM »

Incredible!!!
I have some copper wire screaming for my attention. Grin
Many questions:
1.  what guage copper wire did you use
2. how did you hold one end of the weaving while braiding?
3.  I assume you did the weaving then the bending?

I totally, TOTALLY love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
MsChilePepper
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 02:51:21 AM »

Dude ... I think that is totally SWANK and I *WANT* ONE!

What sort of price tag would you put on a ring like that?  What if I supplied the beads to you, since I have oodles and oodles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006 06:30:51 AM »

You guys are so nice!

First off, I might have said something misleading.  To clarify, the ring in the picture is silver.  It's some of the 28 (or 30, I don't remember) gauge pure silver wire I got to play with knitting wire.  The copper I was using (I actually made a bangle bracelet out of it that turned out well) is 28 gauge, and you buy it by 150 feet, I think, at Ace Hardware.

Alohamom, if I had a vice, that's what I would have used, because that's just better all around.  But I don't, and I wouldn't have had anywhere to attach it whilst sitting on the living room floor watching TV, so I improvised.  I cut each of my lengths of wire to double the length I wanted.  In the case of the ring, I believe I cut 12" lengths.  Then, you bend them in half until there is a small loop at the bent end.  Don't twist them, though!  After I have all 5 pieces bent double, I take a piece of scrap wire (You could use string or ribbon, anything...) and feed it through the little loops, then tie or twist it so you have a sturdy loop to hang from something.  Now, you can loop that over something (I used the peg on my dog's kennel door) and start braiding.  I just finagle it so the braid starts about 1" away from the bend bits.  It takes a little doing to get it to stay and be able to push the next row snug up against it without getting too close to the end, but it's wire, and it will do what you tell it to do if you have a firm hand with it.  Then, just braid along. Once you've got a length that will come in a tiny bit under the size requirements of your ring, stop weaving, and then shape the ring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006 06:45:34 AM »

Oh, I forgot to ask the price question...  I have NO idea.  I know I tend to undervalue my work.  Does anyone have advice? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006 08:09:48 AM »

That is absolutely gorgeous Lothruin, the weaving looks fantastic Smiley I luurrrve cluster rings Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006 09:13:29 AM »

that is fantastic
its a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006 10:38:39 AM »

that is very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006 10:52:58 AM »

I think you did a fabulous job! I've seen some woven/braided rings, and I've seen plenty of cluster rings, but there aren't many that incorporate both together!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co. uk
kiwicrew
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006 01:09:09 PM »

I'm impressed, it looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006 01:59:11 PM »

This ring is fantastic! I absolutely love it! Really nice job.

(I hate to post the same thing that everyone else is posting... you know -- just to say, "Wow, that's beautiful!" But sometimes... you just gotta. And this time, I just had to.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006 02:02:10 PM »

Thanks so much!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wonderbean
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006 04:59:26 PM »

i've definately sold my version (not dissimilar to yours) of woven cluster rings for between $10 and $15 (ocassionally higher), which given the amount of time i got it down to, and the cost of supplies, was a good deal for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things
-henry ward beecher
giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006 06:01:48 PM »

It's beautiful!  I need to start playing with wire more.  As far as pricing goes, I'm not too good with pricing either.  It would really depend on how much the materials cost, but no less than $20 for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reneegf
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006 12:27:33 PM »

The ring is beautiful.  I love cluster rings - there is something about them that reminds me of summer.  I agree that you could sell them for $20 no problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." 
Gore Vidal

http://www.reneefensindesigns.com
http://www.reneedesigns.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/reneedesigns
RubyTuesday
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006 01:59:03 PM »

Wow, this ring is great, my daughter and just love it and we want to have a go at making one, is the weaving plating? and where do all the ends go? - behind the beads? but we're really not sure we can make one :-)
So please please get some listed on etsy!  :-)

Do you have an etsy shop already, we'd love to see your other creations! - please let us know :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006 07:54:06 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

Ruby, I don't have an etsy shop.  I'm currently working up a website in conjunction with my sister, mother and a good friend, though.  So, SOON, there will be a way to buy things.  I swear.  To answer your other questions, the weaving is just a basic braid, only with five strands (each braid strand consists of two pieces of wire) instead of three.  All the ends are used to hold the beads on, actually.  I brought the ends around, twisted the ends together to make it a circle, then put beads on each pair of wires and curled the wires around to hold the beads on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lhackett
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006 08:04:41 AM »

I love this! I think that no less than $20 it good. I would buy one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lindsay is equipped with some very nice options." -googlism.com

www.myspace.com/idonthaveatattoo
www.wists.com/lhackett
Baby Bonsai

sequins GALORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006 05:09:21 AM »

I'm doing a jewelry project and need silver wire and silever sheets. How much was your wire and where did you buy it? (online?)
I'm going to California for the summer, know anywhere there where i can buy some silver?

Thanks
BB

btw your stuff looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bonzo Spangley

ah, isn't he so cute (c:

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006 03:32:01 AM »

Your ring looks so good - I feel like I repeating what everyone else has said, however I couldn't help myself - the workmanship in that is amazing, you are truely a skilled worker.  I totally agree on the not less than $20.  I read somewhere, I think it was on craftster somewhere, that a good place to start working out pricing, was to take the cost of the materials and then double it for your time and labour, after that you then add profit at whatever percentage you decide on (I haven't decided yet!)

TTFN

Bonzo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Argue not with Dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with Brie
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006 04:47:21 AM »

My  mom is a jeweler - I thought $30 easily when I looked - Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006 04:08:55 PM »

Thanks you guys! 

Baby Bonsai:  I buy my silver wire and sheet from RioGrande.  Their prices are based on current market, so last time I checked it was a little pricey because the market was way up.  Don't know what it would be now, but when I BOUGHT the wire, it was something like 1/2 ounce for around $9, and for that gauge that gave me close to 100 feet, I think.  They don't have an online catalog, though. 

Selkie:  Thanks for the input.  I was a goldsmith's apprentice for several years, so I know how regular retail pricing usually works, but for my own hand-made stuff, I know sometimes i undervalue my work, especially when I look around the internet at some of the professional jewelry makers who sell stuff similar to mine.  There's that old adage about not selling your stuff too cheap, or people will think it IS cheap, but I also think that over-pricing really limits the market.  So I'm just never sure.  I think it's safe to say at this point that somewhere between $20 and $30, depending on whether I'm selling at, say, a ren faire, or a boutique, is probably about right.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadtastic
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006 08:06:30 PM »

Lothruin, your rings are gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Best Makeup Brush Cleaners
How to Do Perfect Catwalk Makeup
Make It Easy: How to Remove Road Salt From Shoes
High Street Vs. High End Foundations
Theodore Leaf Responds to Your Elevator Makeover Comments
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...