A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Silk - Ideas Needed!  (Read 1032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Invader Tak
« on: July 12, 2004 10:48:34 AM »

Hi everybody!

My local yarn shop just got in some absolutely beautiful Mango Moon recycled silk yarn.  As I am a total yarn slut, I bought some.

Now what do I do? The stuff is gorgeous, but I don't think it very robust so I don't want to make something that will have to go through a lot of wear and tear.  I'm almost inclined to make a light poncho or shawl type thing with it. Would double stranding it with something else (I've seen mohair suggested) make it more able to handle wear?

Any help, tips or stories about working with recycled silk would be most appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004 02:07:49 AM »

I made a small crocheted bag with a skein of it.  It wasn't very easy to work with - no stretch, the thickness varies quite a bit, and I broke the strand more than once by accident.  I think your plan to make something light and/or double stranding with something else may be the ticket.  Double stranding could also help with the color variation issue I had with the skein I used - my roommate at the time and I both bought a skein.  Hers turned out to be all blues and looked gorgeous when she used it to weave with.  Mine turned out to be many different colors, some of which were unattractive together. 

I'd use it again, but only if I could pick the skein myself instead of going with mail order, probably double strand it with mercerized cotton or something boucle, and...I think I'd knit with it on big needles instead of crocheting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
editorgrrl
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004 06:19:28 AM »

I made cellphone cozies out of mine, adapted from patterns in Knitting Pretty and Stitch 'n Bitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Ruthie Harper Talks About SKINSHIFT, A Personalized Skin Care Routine
How to Get a Kylie Jenner Inspired Look
At Home Beauty Treatment Machine Recommendations
Birchbox June 2014: Sneak Peek
Get Penélope Cruz’s Nude Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...