A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Newlywed" Shawl  (Read 19941 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2004 09:20:39 AM »

Okay, I had to teach myself to crochet (knitter here)  to make this shawl and I don't know that I will use it all that much, but I really fell in love with the pattern and the ease at constructing it. Needless to say, I am quite pleased with the outcome even if I think that I did the final stitches in the rows incorrect. I am planning on making another one out of the soy silk to see how that works. I bought the pattern off of www.stitchdiva.com for $7. The pattern calls for 1,000 yards (YIKES), but I used 600 yards and the gauge was right.

Jill

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004 10:33:55 AM »

how pretty!
Great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
greeneye

"Dream big and dare to fail."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004 10:56:21 AM »

that's beautiful! i've been thinking about buying one of stitchdivas patterns...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tempost
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004 11:43:01 AM »

I'm humbled....I've been crocheting for almost 30 years and that is truly awesome work!  Better than most stuff I turn out now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn, or food? Yarn, or food? .... Eh, I ate last week.
http://makeme.typepad.com
http://hilari.etsy.com
swellgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004 12:14:06 PM »

Fabulous job!  Your petals look larger than mine.  I used a slightly smaller needle than what the pattern calls for, so that could be why.  I recommend Stitchdiva pattern's as well.  This is the first crochet pattern I've ever completed, so I was a little shy at first.  But her directions are clear, & if you ever have questions about the design, she's very quick with the answer.  I used the exact yardage for this pattern.  I still have to add the fringe, but it will be very close!  I went with a cheap acrylic yarn (Caron's Simply Soft-Surprisingly soft for acrylic) because I wasn't sure if I'd use it, so the shawl is heavier than need be.  I never understood why people said, "It was a fun pattern to use."  I do now!  I can't wait to find some spring/summer appropriate yarn.  Until then, I'll dream of fall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004 04:17:44 PM »

What a cute dog! You know, I read through the entire post until I realized it was you  Cheesy. I looked at the bed and thought, "Hey, I have that comforter, too," before I thought, "Hey, isn't that Charlie?" See you soon!

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swellgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004 08:07:39 PM »

Yep, I thought I'd throw her in the mix.  Since I'm obsessed...

I'm heading to a LYS tomorrow & going to find some cheap fingerling or baby sport.  Just to see how those works up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004 11:46:55 AM »

i bought that pattern from stitch diva but have been less successful at the teaching myself to do it. i really need hands on instruction. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swellgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004 12:34:30 PM »

Do any of the stitches confuse you? Maybe I could help.  I have a general crochet book that helped me through some of it & then Greenchick helped with the rest.  Once you figure it out, the pattern goes by quickly. 

One of my biggest problems, was where my yarn was sitting.  When I knit, it's on the right.  When I crochet, it's on the left.  That made all the difference.  Silly, I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004 12:52:26 PM »

a lot of it is not knowing if i was doing it right or wrong. and the rest was just inexperience with crochet. i brought it to work where someone crochets a lot and she had trouble too. i need to sit down with it and figure out what the heck i'm doing. and then come back to ask questions. we couldn't get past the first row. and then there is the picking yarn problem. can't decide and not sure if i should spend the money for something good. i'm just trying it with a bag of 7dollar mill ends right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Use Natural Dyes for Easter Eggs
How to Do Decorative Yarn Orbs
How to Make an Easter Nest Ornament
How to Make a Simple Easter Egg Drying Rack
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...