A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookbinding Thread Question.  (Read 1567 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xaneth
« on: April 24, 2006 11:36:56 AM »

I read in a tutorial that you had to use waxed linen thread for the coptic stitch in bookbinding, but I've just rummaged through my mum's sewing kit and all I can find is polyester thread. I have beeswax, so I could use that... but does anyone know if it'll work? Undecided

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006 07:51:39 AM »

If the tread is really thin, I wouldn't use it, it will rip right through the holes. You can use embroidery thread if you have that, just wax it really well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
Xaneth
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006 10:01:54 AM »

If the tread is really thin, I wouldn't use it, it will rip right through the holes. You can use embroidery thread if you have that, just wax it really well Smiley

Thanks for your help!

I have stuff like this, but as you can see, it says six strand, and I know I need single. Do I just seperate one strand from it? I know nothing of thread, sorry. ^^; Also, will I need quite a thick needle? According to my mum, I'll need something like this, but it looks pretty big! Is this right?

Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions, I'm terrified of messing up my first coptic journal! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
antigone
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006 10:18:19 AM »

The few times I've used embroidery thread I divided it in half and used three pieces of thread, I think.

I normally use a thick kind of sewing thread; it's so strong I can't tear it apart, and I use a fat but ordinary needle, or an embroidery needle. It doesn't have to be very pointy because you have already poked the holes. I don't wax my thread; I just make sure it doesn't get too tangled.

I have also used dental floss a lot, which works very well (the round kind) and is already waxed Smiley

Don't be scared, just give it a try! Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xaneth
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006 02:30:39 PM »

I tried splitting the embroidery thread in half and using that, but I snapped it when trying to make it taunt. Sad Will waxing the thread make it anymore durable? Or shoudl I try another kind of thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006 08:50:41 AM »

Waxing it will just make it easier to work with, but it probably won't help with tearing through the holes. You can use a needle that big, just before you start stitching with the thread, run the needle through every hole to make it big enough for the needle to run smoothly through so you aren't trying to pull a big needle PLUS thread through a hole that is too small. That should help with the tearing issue, too. Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
kell
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006 11:56:34 AM »

You might want to try quilting thread.  It's like sewing thread, but already waxed.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
mcc
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006 12:29:50 PM »

I dont know if its the same deal... but there was a thread on here about journal making and there is a binding tutorial that looks really good and i want to try...

it said to use....
Carpet, button, or upholstery thread

This was the only thing I had to buy in order to make my books. I used nylon upholstery thread (white). One spool was only $1.29, and it will make many books.

A sewing needle

I used a tapestry needle, but only because I inherited my grandmother's sewing stuff and there happened to be one in there.

Here is the link to that discussion....
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=77501.msg876264#msg876264

Re: I made a journel to help me keep track of my swaps.
That is an awesome idea!  I love the dragonflies-- and the way you set up your pages with your avatar! 

Did you follow a tutorial or did you wing it on your own?  I am trying to psyche myself up to create a journal but really need to find some directions first I think.   

I used a tutorial.  This one
http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/d/r/drv1913/0204.html

It is a great tutorial.  Lots of photos. I did a few things different than the tutorial for this journel but this is a great tutorial for giving you the basics.   Book binding is not that hard.  You can make a journel in a day.  The thing that takes the time is allowing the glue to dry at each stage.

Hope this might help you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xaneth
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006 04:33:02 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
AcesWild
I like cupcakes!!

they call me whiskers- cuz Im curious like a cat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 09:57:49 PM »

something that works really well as well is regualr waxed dental floss. it is cheap and easy to use and you don't have to worry about wasting it or waxing it. Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend on Trial: How to Do Glitter Eyeliner
Trend on Trial: Metallic Copper Eye Makeup Tutorial
Autumn Makeup Tutorial Using Just 5 Products
A Makeup Routine to Conceal Redness and Highlight Eyes
Revlon Bold Lacquer Vs. Maybelline Lash Stiletto - Mascara Comparison
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...