A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Onion eggs!  (Read 2565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dyingsockgirl
« on: April 23, 2006 08:00:01 PM »

Alright this is by no means something new, but I figured I would post it here incase some of you wanted to try. My great-grandmother makes most of her easter eggs this way, they end up with pretty earthy patches all over. I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures, I haven't done it in a while Tongue (not that it matters, I don;t have a digital camera haha).

So for a while before you want to do this, start gathering onion peels while you cook. Hopefully you'll have plenty saved up if you start early enough. Take the foot of some pantyhose, or the leg if you tie off the bottom end, and make a nest of the onion peels all around the edges. Nestle one egg in there and make sure it's completely covered. Tie the top of the stocking shut. Boil egg as usual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006 05:26:40 PM »

I've heard of using onion skins to dye silk but not eggs. I bet they are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyday
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007 10:34:09 AM »

We used to do something similar when I was a kid. We placed a pretty leaf or flower on a blown egg, covered it with a piece of stocking and secured it with a rubber band so that the leaf was pressed flat against the egg and the scrunched stocking was on the opposite side. Then boil with onion skins for several minutes and you have a lovely brown egg with a leaf pattern on it.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007 02:34:09 PM by sunnyday » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kity
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007 10:39:40 AM »

My neighbor used to do this, such beautiful eggs.
I recently ran across a instructable of how to do it. then while looking for it so I could link it (Plenty of lovely pictures) I ran across another, with ferns and onion skins, so
http://www.instructables.com/id/ETZZGFEGJTEP286WR7/ the first
http://www.instructables.com/id/E3OKVI31B0EP2873G1/ second, with plants and stuff.  Smiley Again, very lovely eggs.. I should do something like that for easter...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marj
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007 05:06:34 AM »

I tried dying eggs with onion skins this year and they turned out great.  I used the skins of 3 yellow onions and 2 red onions and boiled them in water.  Then I removed the skins from the water and put a small leaf against the shell and then inserted the egg into a knee-high hose, twisted the end and put a rubber band around the end.  I love the look of the eggs and even though they were in the water for the same amount of time, some of the eggs turned out darker than others.  Some people blow out the eggs and just dye the shells so they can be used year after year, but I just boiled my eggs in the onion water.  I don't know how to post a picture or I would show you how my eggs turned out.  Marj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Cognac Butter for the Strip Steaks
Grilled New York Strip Steak Recipe
Roasted Tomato Crowns Recipe
Blue Chips Cheese Bread Recipe
Smoked Baby Back Ribs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...