A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Windowless room plant?  (Read 1350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peanutbuttanjellay

Craft your life!

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2006 07:17:26 PM »

Help!  I have an windowless office that gets no sunlight and no air circulation.  In order to get some oxigen going in that stagnant cave, I've decided to bring in some plants.  However, what kind of plant could ever survive in an environment of only occasional flourescent lighting?  I've heard that ivy is hard to kill and I remember it growing in my basement when I was a kid.  Could this be the solution?  If anyone has had similar experiences or knows about plants that could survive such an environment, I'd really appreciate the help.  I should probably also mention that the flourescent lights that are in my office are motion-sensored and run on a timer.  This means that when the office is empty, the plants will have to undergo extreme darkness until someone enters the room: that could be days (on weekends).  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sourire11
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006 02:17:47 PM »

I think spider plants will survive anywhere... even with no light for a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 02:22:07 PM »

Philodendron. They are really common in offices, and seem to agree to pretty much anything! Just keep it pruned if you want it full instead of long & stringy! They are easy to start from cuttings and hard to kill, just my kinda plant!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kweeket
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 02:26:11 PM »

I recommend a Boston fern...they like it pretty dim.  Ivy is good too.  Also, you know those plants that are always at banks?  They are tall, with long leaves growing from a woody trunk?  Bad description, I know, here is a pic:

They're called Dracaena, or dragon trees.  Anyway, they're lower-canopy rainforest plants, so they grow pretty well in dim light.   That's why you always see them in office-type locations.  They come in a bunch of varieties, too - I have three different varieties in my apartment, one in a very dim room, and they are all very low-maintenance.

Snake plants (aka Mother-in-Law's Tongue) are also almost unkillable and don't need much light (although they don't really grow if they don't get sun).  Pic:

Note:  since all these plants won't be getting much light, they will be dormant and don't need much water at all.  Let the soil dry out between watering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 02:30:17 PM »

Perhaps a bromeliad? I always see those in offices, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
girly
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006 05:29:36 PM »

Ah, yes, I have this problem also.  Well, my office does have a window from floor to ceiling...to the hallway, so I am effectively a fish in a fish bowl.  I tried many things in there, but nothing seems to do very well.  Finally someone in the office gave me a fake violet plant.  It looks very real, the dirt and everything.  So instead I take clippings from my yard all season long.  Tomorrow I am taking in a bunch of bright yellow tulips!  Could you possibly have one of those lights just for plants?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mary contrary
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006 07:43:42 PM »

perhaps you could put a grow light in a desk/floor lamp?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006 07:51:09 PM »

OOOOH! I was just wondering if a plant could possibly grow in the custodial closet of a classroom that I'm in. I wanted my students to plant something for Earth Day, but there is no place to put their plants so that they'd grow. I have no windows and it is frigid in my tiny room. This gives me an idea for next time. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutbuttanjellay

Craft your life!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006 01:20:53 PM »

Thank you all so very much for the tips.  I actually have a spiderplant in my bedroom, which is planted in a fishbowl.  I wonder if that could actually survive in my office.  My office does actually have a window that goes to the hallway.  I was thinking that since there's a skylight in the hallway, that perhaps my plant could soak up some rays from the very little ambient light that passes through the curtain on my office window.  I'll have to check it out.  The plant light sounds good, however, I don't really want to spend much money for spuce up the office that I might not be in for very long.  I'll check out prices.  Thanks craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yooper Hill
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006 06:58:05 PM »

I have the same problem.  I will soon move to an office with no windows!  I am brining both of my "office gift plants" with me and will see if they survive or not.  They have a strong will.  They have both been with me over 5 years, hot, cold, humid.  They are a mix of plants in pots.  wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yooper Hill
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Firing Your Pottery
Making the Handle for a Clay Mug
Trimming the Clay Cylinder
Throwing the Clay
Preparing the Clay for Throwing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...