A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need xmas ornament ideas  (Read 3468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katycat
« on: December 10, 2003 09:05:28 AM »

my roommate brought home a full size xmas tree!  we want to make fun crafty ornaments for it, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions.  so far we have just been using cardstock/glitter/sequins/ribbon, but i'd love some more exciting ideas, preferably using stuff we might have around the house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenncastor

I got it bad [and that ain't good]

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003 12:36:05 PM »

I made some pretty nifty ornaments last night using pages of Christmas music copied from a church hymnal. First, I soaked the copies in tea to give them an aged look, let the pages dry, then used Mod Podge to glue them onto both sides of a heavier water color paper (I just used what I had on hand but I'm sure any heavy paper would work). I also brushed the front of the copies with Mod Podge to give them a more "finished" look. After they were dry, I traced various Christmas shapes (doves, stars, bells) onto the paper, cut them out, poked a hole through the top with a quilt pin and strung thin green ribbon through. I think they made pretty neat ornaments! I actually got the idea from a similar display at a local elementary school. I don't have any photos with me right now, but I'll try to post some later so you can see how they came out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are years that ask questions, and years that answer."
--Zora Neal Hurston

Artwork.
Wists.
snoopendous
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003 04:15:36 PM »

I am using shrinky dink paper to make ornaments -- tracing cool things I've found and making holes at the top before I bake.  It's a lot of fun! also, those yarn balls that were posted recently by another craftster are pretty easy as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003 11:52:21 PM »

You could make ornaments out of saltdough (I haven't tried it yet, I'm a procrastinator), I got this of HGTV.com, I think:

Mix two cups plain flour and one-cup salt. Slowly begin adding water until dough has a smooth, firm consistency. Don't add too much water as dough will become sticky and hard to work with. If desired, add one-tablespoon vegetable oil for suppleness and one-tablespoon wallpaper paste to give the dough elasticity.
Remove dough from bowl and knead for about 10 minutes on a floured surface. Place dough in plastic bag or airtight container and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Roll it out to desired thickness (about 3/4 inch) and place template on top. Use a craft knife to cut out the shape. Keep excess dough for reuse and remove the template.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees and bake for approximately six hours or until hard . Let cool completely.
Apply two coats of gesso to seal the surface, allowing it to dry between each layer.
Apply a coat of paint and let dry well.

Anyone tried this??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
smash
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003 09:19:28 AM »

My mom made two or three dozen ornaments out of salt dough when I was a child. I doubt she added anything like paste or glue to the mix. She fashioned snowmen, people, animals, angels, wreaths and candy canes out of the dough in a more three-dimensional fashion. She treated it more like Sculpy and less like cookie dough. She stuck some kind of loop-shaped wire in them before baking. Probably bent 10-gague with the ends twisted together. I think she painted them after baking but before treating them with anything.

After painting, she just sprayed them down with shellac (At least, that's what we called it back then. Now we'd call it clear polyurethane.)

Some have broken over the years, and when I asked her about these yesterday she said that a few "went bad." She hasn't reapplied any coating to them in the 25 or so years since she made them. I insisted that she spray them down with polyurethane and hang them on the tree this year!

I have a distinctive memory of "helping" my mom make these. Mostly, I'd ask what she was shaping that part into and set the timer for her. I'll try to get her to take pictures of them and email them to me in the hopes that they inspire someone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003 04:11:46 PM »

yeah I (but really my mom) made saltdough ornaments in the 1970s that my mom still hangs on her tree every year.  That would be fun! I guess the modern day equivalent is FIMO or sculptey--you can probably make a lot of cool ornaments out of that clay stuff as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003 05:02:48 PM »

Here is the salt dough recipe I've used:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups water
Mix all ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan (use a wooden spoon for best results).
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick (about 5 minutes).
Cool slightly before working.

You can either let the pieces air dry (takes a few days) or bake them in a 200 degree oven for about an hour or so.  You can make thick or thin ornaments. Make sure they are dry before painting, then varnish or shellac!

Oh, and they shrink a bit during drying, but are so much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmel
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2003 05:33:48 PM »

Check out the "All the Trimmings" ornaments on www.dsquilts.com. (Click "catalog" then "gift collection." You could replicate those with fabric scraps and sparkly yarn pinned into a styrofoam ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003 12:09:42 PM »

Make a trip to the local 99cent store and got a bunch of ornaments for next to nothing and decorate them with beads, glittler, ribbon, lace etc.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
WildSnowflake
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003 08:55:33 AM »

I stick dried or silk flowers that I usually have decorating my house in the warmer months in my tree. When my tree was less victorian and more playful, I tied ribbons on all of my happy meal toys and added them to the tree... a BuzzLightyear doll topped it all off! Of course, you can always add candy canes.

If you want to make ornaments out of old holiday cards, Carol Duvall does a program about it every year...
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_occasions_december/article/0,,HGTV_3270_1381509,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
January Jones Reveals Her Must Have Beauty Products
5 Must Have Beauty Devices
Bella Thorne Shares Her Beauty Tricks at Her Glamour Photo Shoot
Get the Look from Jason Wu Fall 2014
Get the Look from Christian Dior Fall 2014
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...