I had some free time this weekend so I made a tutorial incase anybody wanted/wants one, please excuse my paint skills! I hope it gives enough information, feel free to ask questions:
The grey is the wrong side of the fabric, the pinky/purple is the right.
1) Cut out each of the pieces above, the measurements should be as shown.
My measurements were
30" for under the arms
32" for the chest then 3.24" for the length, the top band should be cut so the centre of the bottom measurement is at the centre of the top, this is what makes it fitted and creates the diagonals.
34" for the main tube width (if you want a baggier top make this larger than your hips)
12" for the lengthDONT FORGET SEAM ALLOWANCES!
2)Mark the centre of each piece of fabric (shown in green) then mark on the top band where you want the darts to be (I put mine over my chest-as you can see in the pic on the first page)these are shown in blue.
3) Line up both pieces at the centre mark and pin in place. The line up each piece at the edges and pin each corner.
Smooth the excess fabric towards the dart marks on the top band and then pinch the excess in line with the dart marks. Mark two points for each dart (shown in red) at equal distances on either side from the dart marks (shown in blue).
4) Fold the fabric straight down the original dart mark (blue) and then pin where the mark you made in the last step is (shown in yellow here). Make sure you have both sides of the fabric pinned together. Do this for both darts.
5) Re-align the pieces using the centre mark (green) and the darts/dart marks (yellow and blue).
Pick up the pieces right side together -making sure they are still aligned correctly- and pin together then sew along the pink line to join both pieces together.
When both pieces are sewn together, hem the top and bottom of the top.
6) With right sides together, pin down the pink line shown in the picture then sew it.Make sure you sew the diagonal for the top band!
7) Try the top on then mark where you want the straps to go (I usen an old tank top to place where they should go)
8 ) When you've marked where your straps should go, fold the ribbon in half and place the halfway mark on your shoulder with one half of the ribbon at the front and the other at the back. Pin the ribbon in the right place at the front for each strap then turn the top around.
When you've turned the top around (so you're wearing it back to front). Pull the ribbon snugly over your shoulder-not too snugly,you need to be able to get it on and off!- and pin the ribbon in the right places at the back.
Sew each strap on in both places, then either cut off the excess ribbon or, like I did, leave it so it hangs at the front and back.
Well that seemed alot of writing, I hope its easy enough to understand! I was going to make a picture tut but I didn't have enough fabric left over to make another. Oh and I only used 2 fat quarters of fabric (1/2 a yard) to make the top so it was fairly cheap!