A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bunny Hat  (Read 11252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahlea
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004 06:22:53 PM »

Where did you get the pattern or did you make it up as you went along? I Love it, esp. the little bunny face!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glccafar
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004 06:32:59 PM »

Wow, that is absolutely adorable.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004 11:40:17 AM »

Dizzer and Kate - You guys totally should make that stuff!  And trust me, it's wicked fun to walk around wearing it.  Everybody smiles at you in supermarkets and things.

KaJ - Probably, but I'm not too sure how to go about it yet.

dahlea - The hat is really basic, with a rolled brim.  We call it the "vanilla bean" hat in my house because it's so plain.  You knit it on circs, and you just knit two rows, purl one row, then knit for 5 inches and then start decreases - k12 k2tog repeat for a row, then k11 k2tog for a row, k10 k2tog, etc.   The ears and face I just make up as I go.

Everybody else - Thanks!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
superminx
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004 04:18:42 AM »

Love it, love it, love it. I'm gonna have to make one for my baby. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gillian_houghton
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004 01:29:07 PM »

so you do the ears separately and sew them on (just to clarify, I'm an inexperienced knitter)?

looks great! i want to make one for each of my twin neices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004 07:27:50 PM »

Yup, I do the ears seperately.  I cast on some stitches onto double point needle (number of stitches depends on the size of the hat, gotta eyeball and see what looks good, I think the one shown had 13 at cast on), and proceed to knit (garter stitch) with a second double point.  For the decreases, just  bind off one stitch at the beginning of the row.  I haven't been paying attention to how often I do the decreases for the rabbit ears, just go with what looks decent.  For cat ears (just basic triangles), I usally knit the first two rows and then bind off 1 stitch at the beginning of every row until there are 1 (pointy ear) or 2 (rounded ear) stitches left, and then finish the ends.

When you attach them, thread a peice of your yarn through the bottom back of the ear and then use the peice to sew the ear to the hat.  Threading it all the way through first gives it a lot of extra strength.

You could try picking up stitches on the hat and knitting ears directly from it  but I think that the ears might sit at odd angles if you did that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
gillian_houghton
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004 07:44:14 PM »

thanks for the detailed response. i need all the details i can get  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004 06:32:51 AM »

No problem, let me know if you have any more questions.  Oh, another tip on the ears.  When you add the pink yarn (I used mohair I got on ebay because it's fuzzy and I  have tons of it) make sure you thread it through the inside of the stitches, as opposed to sewing it from front to back.  I didn't think of this when I made my first cat hat and the back of the ears were all pink!  And looking at what I wrote, it doesn't make too much sense but I think you'll get it when you have an ear and some pink yarn in front of you  Wink

Also, I use Lion Brand Thick n Quick yarn for the hats and ears. You can get one adult sized hat or 2 baby/kid hats from one skien, with enough yarn left over for ears and sewing.  I can usually knit the basic adult hat in less than two hours.  The extra animal stuff is time consuming though.  I knit the hats on 10.5 circs which is a smaller needle than TnQ calls for, but it gives the hat a lot of sturdy body and shape, which helps hold the ears up.  Eyes and whiskers are just whatever scrap yarn is lying around, usually Lamb's Pride or Country Kitchen or something.

I'd love to see other people's versions of the hat so if anyone makes one, please post pics in this thead!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zephren
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004 10:00:17 PM »

Did I miss it? Was it said where to find this pattern at? I love it! Ive gotta knit it! Hook me up w/ a pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004 04:39:49 AM »

The "pattern" is pretty much laid out in my earlier posts.  I'm too lazy to actually write a real structured pattern out, sorry.  Read what I posted earlier and if you have questions, post them.  Ask anything at all and I'll answer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Where Is the Best Glass Blowing Museum
The History of Glass Blowing
How to Tie the Handcuff Knot
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...