A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Granite and Silestone samples  (Read 1462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GirlScoutRiot

Please don't eat the government cheese...

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2006 01:32:41 PM »

I have granite samples that measure maybe 8"x 11" and Silestone samples that are 3" x 3". They are approx. 1/2" thick. what can I do with these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006 01:53:45 PM »

trivets for the table and coasters... Selkie
Also maybe a small table top
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
pacasha
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 09:16:42 AM »

my husband brought home a TON of these types of things when he worked at a design center. on the smaller tiles, we glued felt to the back and made a TON of coasters. I also lined a wire shelf in my bathroom with them, to keep all of me junk from falling through into my toliet! My husband brought home some old cabinet doors too. He took off the outside frames and mitered (anyway, cut into 45 degree angles) and framed the larger granite tiles to make large trivets. He made one for my mom with a lazy susan underneath. We keep them in the middle of our table and it works GREAT! He also brought home a LARGE granite piece leftover from a counter top. He is going to finish the edges (using techniques unknown to me!) and make me a breadboard!

I hope this gives you some ideas, maybe not, but I tired!!!
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006 01:45:06 PM »

cheese board for the granite bit... the rest if there are enough might make neat "tiles" for a tiled table top.

Trivets have been mentioned, I like sandstone better for coasters (it sucks up the condensation)

if you had the wood you could do a combination trivet/cutting board (box the edges and cover one side of the granite with wood.  Wood side becomes the cutting board, granite side a trivet.)

Pretty stepping stones for a garden or even small serving trays.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
GirlScoutRiot

Please don't eat the government cheese...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 05:45:42 PM »

Thank you, everyone. I work at a design center currently, so I'm always bringing home weird stuff like carpet samples, granite, shower door glass, etc. I will probably ask more questions like this in the near future! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...
pacasha
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006 10:08:44 AM »

girlscoutriot, maybe you can help me find a way to use all these carpet samples my husband hoards away. i have a three foot stack! (in the UGLIEST colors on the face of the planet!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006 10:39:09 AM »

cat furniture (scratch posts, kitty stairs etc) is a good use for scrap/sample carpet.  If it's free you don't cry when kitty shreds it to bits and it has to be recovered or replaced.

cat furniture is EXPENSIVE in the stores...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pacasha
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006 09:54:03 AM »

yeah, i don't have a cat. my whole family is allergic... maybe someday i'll get a friend with a cat, but I'll never be able to go to her house Sad  i tend to only hang out with dog people... isn't that strange? I've never really thought of this before.

maybe I should just make some and sell them... maybe I'll just be lazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006 12:08:22 PM »

One of my oldest brothers friends recently "inherited" three dachshunds.  One is rather elderly and has problems with normal people stairs so Theo has made a set (longer step less rise to the next one) and covered them in carpet so the old fellow can get down from the porch and into the back yard (and back) to do his doggy business.  The two younger ones like the doggy stairs and use them by preference, which is nice because apparently all thee dogs have a habit of sleeping on the steps.  He also uses carpet samples to line the dog houses for his Huskey and the "terrible trio", so there are options for dogs...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hone the Bohemian Minimalist Hair Look
The Best Bangs to Flatter Your Face Shape
Tips For Making Clean Hair Last Longer
Top 7 Blow Drying Techniques
How to Do a Half-Up Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...