A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Kool Aid colors when dyeing...  (Read 2603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2006 10:18:59 AM »

Perhaps this has been asked in the past, but I couldn't locate the post if this has already been in question.

I'm dying (oh, har har) to dye! Trouble is, I'm not sure which flavors of Kool Aid yield which colors. Does anyone have information on this? I'm guessing lemon-lime makes a yellow or green color, but what could I use to make a nice peach color, or a tan? (I'm hoping to eventually make a cream, sky blue, and soft tan mix, so any insider tips on those colors in particular would be amaaaaaaaaazing!)
Since I know there's tons of different flavors out there this could be a long shot, but anyone with info who could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
Zen Gwen

This too shall pass.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006 11:14:34 AM »

Before I say anything, know that I have not, in fact, dyed any yarn with Kool-Aid. However, I do dye my friends' hair on a regular basis. >_<

When you dye hair with Kool-Aid, you want the brightest color possible, so you use the whole packet - or two. So, I figure that if you want a lighter color, you should just use a fraction of the packet. I'd use a teeny amount at first, then keep adding until you get the color you want.

The Pink Lemonade flavor might give you a peach or tan color, expecially if you mix in a bit of Orange. I don't know how you'd get cream - maybe start with a yarn that's already cream-colored? I know Knitpicks.com stocks undyed yarn that's kind of creamy. Or maybe try some Lemonade if the yarn you're using is very light already. Blue Raspberry would probably be good for the sky-blue; start with a little teeny tiny itsy bitsy amount of it, that stuff's strong. (And often requested among my friends, it makes a great color.)

Beware the "magic" Kool-Aids...there are a few that have powder one color, then make juice another, and are flavored as something completely different. (Like Pink powder makes blue juice that tastes like oranges.) Very fun for little kids, I'm sure, but not so much for people who think they're getting pink dye and are actually getting blue...and be sure everything is sugar-free, or else it'll be sticky! Gross.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are dolls, they seem to say, but don't play with us. We bite.
Fozziebear54
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006 11:40:27 AM »

There was a feature in Knitty a couple of years ago about Kool-Aid dying. At the bottom of the article, there's a picture of various hanks of yarn that have been dyed, and underneath there's a list that says which hank was dyed with which color of Kool-Aid.

http://www.knitty.com/issuefall02/FEATdyedwool.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006 12:41:52 PM »

thank you both so much! i'm going to try with some creamy colored yarn zen, and also check out the knitty article fozzie! horray for you both! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 01:11:21 AM »

Before I say anything, know that I have not, in fact, dyed any yarn with Kool-Aid. However, I do dye my friends' hair on a regular basis. >_<

When you dye hair with Kool-Aid, you want the brightest color possible, so you use the whole packet - or two. So, I figure that if you want a lighter color, you should just use a fraction of the packet. I'd use a teeny amount at first, then keep adding until you get the color you want.

I am curious as to how you dye hair with kool aid?
is it peramanant or does it wash out?
I am in Australia so i am going to look at getting some from where to use.
I also want it for fabric.
thanks

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
crnaofca
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 02:15:56 AM »

here is also a great color chart:) http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/images/colorchart-high.jpg

and yes, i'm also courious how do you dye hair with kool-aid:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
AngiR
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 07:54:33 AM »

I recently just dyed some yarn with Kool-Aid and what was discovered was it also depends on the ratio of powder to water.  And don't use the Sugar Free.  Use the regular Kool-Aid. 
If you are looking for a skyblue, use about 1/2 a packet of "Raspberry Reaction" or "Berry Blue". 
For the tan: You can mix reds and greens together, or you can see if you can find Tamerindo.  It's smells horrible, but makes a brownish orange color.  That one is going to take a bit of doing to get right.
The best thing to do is experiment.  A friend of mine make several mini-skeins (about 3 inches long) and tried just about every color imaginable.
To make a long story short: It's proportional.  Less powder::Lighter color and vice versa.
Have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zen Gwen

This too shall pass.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006 10:45:25 AM »

I am curious as to how you dye hair with kool aid?
is it peramanant or does it wash out?
I am in Australia so i am going to look at getting some from where to use.
I also want it for fabric.
thanks

To dye hair, you mix sugarless kool-aid powder with some mild conditioner (I use Suave), paint it onto their hair, and let it sit for a while, then rinse the conditioner out. When I'm not doing someone's entire head I tend to use aluminum foil to wrap up the dyed bits of hair while they're sitting when, so that it doesn't touch the parts that they don't want dyed. You can do some really awesome colored highlights that way. As with all dyes, it works better the lighter your hair is. It washes out after a few days, so it's perfect to test a new hair color - or your parents' reaction. I've heard that you can mix some vinegar in with the conditioner and powder to make it last longer, but I've never tried that. I do know, though, that my friends with real hair dye - Manic Panic etc. - sometimes put vinegar into their shampoo to make their color last longer, so I guess it makes sense.

I wouldn't do anything directly from my instructions, there's a billion better tutorials with pictures and stuff on the web. Just Google it.  Smiley

To dye yarn (and fabric) you do it differently, though. Again, not sure how, I've never done it. I believe it also involves vinegar...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are dolls, they seem to say, but don't play with us. We bite.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 01:10:00 PM »

For a nice tan, try grape over a mustard yellow. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
AngiR
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006 05:18:27 PM »

To dye yarn (and fabric) you do it differently, though. Again, not sure how, I've never done it. I believe it also involves vinegar...

I don't think we used any vinegar when we dyed the yarn. But if you are really interested, Knitty has a wonderful tutorial.  http://www.knitty.com/issuefall02/FEATdyedwool.html
The only thing that I would add would be to put a drop cloth down where ever you are going to hang your yarn to dry after you are done, unless you are going to use your shower. Smiley

Oh and it really only works with animal fibers such as wool.  It isn't colorfast with cotton thread, no matter what happens to your t-shirt when you spill kool-aid on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Indoor Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Fireworks Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...