A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shaped ribbon tee (Now with Tutorial)  (Read 78432 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lid89

the love of my life is a toy horse

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006 11:20:47 PM »

gorgeous!! stunning!! AMAZERING!!!!! :)
looks really great on you.... wow. i just lovelovelove every little detail of it!!! you rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitting_gromit
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006 11:38:23 PM »

Very HOT  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006 11:57:13 PM »

This looks really nice. Great job on making it up and having it turn out perfect! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aijay
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006 11:29:29 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!  I've never done a pattern before, but I sat down this afternoon and tried to recontruct what I'd done.  I posted it above... if it's unclear, let me know where and I'll work on it some more.  If other people tried to make this as well, I'd be especially excited!
I didn't post the name of the yarn, because I don't think it's available outside of Greece.  It's by a local company called Kangaroo (and the yarn itself doesn't have a name on the package, it just says "cotton").  But I think any other ribbon or cottonblend with a similar gauge would work just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006 11:41:39 AM »

thanks so much for the pattern, I think I'll have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006 03:12:26 PM »

Amazing... we just asked for the pattern yesterday!  Thanks so much - I can't wait to try it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006 03:25:22 PM »

could I ask one little favor?  could you measure how many stitches you got in 4 inches?  because I'm not sure if I'm getting 1.25 stitches or 1.5 stitches per inch, and being wrong for the gauge of 1 inch means you'll be very wrong for 4 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MirageTheDog
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006 03:38:58 PM »

It's cute an all, but it's virtually identical to two of Teva's patterns from her book Loop-D-Loop. If you cross the Ballet TShirt with the Steek shirt, you get exactly the same thing. I've knit both patterns. You can see pictures of the various shirts here.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=36163.0

But she made the pattern without seeing the Loop D Loop book. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty impressive!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006 05:43:28 PM »

It's cute an all, but it's virtually identical to two of Teva's patterns from her book Loop-D-Loop. If you cross the Ballet TShirt with the Steek shirt, you get exactly the same thing. I've knit both patterns. You can see pictures of the various shirts here.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=36163.0

And Grumperina's tivoli/picovoli and several other patterns use the same raglan cast on and shaping. It's a basic pattern - what makes all of the variations unique is the combinations. I'm making one now based on tivoli, with a lacy inset like Green Gables and the lower 6 inches is the lace pattern from Lelah. I may try one like this one, one of these days (or years).

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
aijay
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006 02:33:58 AM »

Ariel, it's COMPLETELY a basic pattern.  i haven't knit the picovoli yet, but i've gotten all my raglan experience from Glampyre's patterns -- that woman really works a raglan -- as well as from the anthropology-inspired capelet pattern of Julesy723's here on craftster, and the raglans at cosmicpluto.com's blog.  there are a bunch of raglan shirts out there that give you the idea of how to go about customizing your own.  that's the nice thing about a raglan -- just determine how big you want it to be around your chest, work backwards to figure out what you need to cast on, and go.  you don't need a pattern for it at all. 

as i mentioned, i *did* lift the YO idea from having seen a pic of the steek vest from Teva's book on the internet.  i'd been playing around with the idea of a dropped stitch opening in the chest, but when i saw that vest it was clear that YOs were more controllable than a dropped stitch.  I just looked at the ballet tee from the link you posted, and i like it and it does indeed look like what i've knitted, but it looks like the chest is super-tight and then it does a bunch of increases after the chest so that the waist is looser.  am i right?  I'm more interested in decreases in the waist.  the raglan is a basic shape that's infinitely fun to mess around with.

anyway, i've just posted a variation on a common theme and let others here know how i did it -- i hope you don't feel that's inappropriate.   i've greatly benefited in the past when other craftsterites have done the same.   as soozeq has described -- sue, i'm looking forward to seeing a picture of that tee when you're done, it sounds fantastic.

kategirl, i got 13 stitches to 4 inches.  that's with the top laying flat.  those stitches stretch quite a bit though, i think because of the nature of the yarn i used and that fact that i used large needles.  the circumference of the top at its widest point in the bust is just over 29 inches when it's lying flat, while my bra size is a 34, so you get the idea of how much it stretches.  i hope that helps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Oleander Girl by Chandra Divakaruni
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...