A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shaped ribbon tee (Now with Tutorial)  (Read 81087 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aijay
« on: April 22, 2006 09:03:36 AM »

so i bought this odd cotton yarn, knit in a tube but i suppose it qualifies as a ribbon, and i thought it would be a raglan pullover.  which it was, for about 10 seconds, when i then realized that it weighed 1000 pounds, and frogged it and turned it into this:

i didn't follow a pattern, just started the plain old raglan again, but with a larger neck, shaped the bust, and added yarn-overs at the top and bottom to make it interesting but still leave it bra-able. (inspired by that steek vest i saw here, tho i haven't seen the book it came from yet).  and it actually turned out well!   shocker!  my math worked!  yea math!

OK, here's my first attempt at writing a pattern for what I did.  Please be patient if it's hard to understand, and let me know how to make it clearer!

Gauge: 3.25 stitches to the inch, on Size 10 (6.5 mm) circular needles.

SECTION ONE: sleeves and the top V (where you do all those Yarn Overs).

CO 13, PM, CO 23, PM, CO 13, PM, CO 10, YO 3, CO 10, PM.
Row 1: Join and knit round.  Where you find the YOs, drop them off the left needle and make 3 new YOs on the right, then continue knitting (i.e. wrap the yarn around the needle three times).
Row 2: This is an increase row, so knit into the front and back of the last stitch before the stitch marker, slip the marker, knit one, knit into the front and back of the next one, and continue knitting.  Or use any other increase method you like (YO, M1, etc).  Treat YOs as above.
Row 3: Knit round. Treat YOs as above.
Rows 4-9: Repeat as for rows 2 and 3.
Rows 10-18: Repeat as for rows 2 and 3, but do 2 YOs instead of  3.
Rows 19-21: repeat as for rows 2 and 3, but do 1 YO instead of  3.
Row 22: BO Sleeves.  I bound my sleeves off purl-wise because it looked better. Treat YO as above.  Remove the stitch markers.
Row 23: CO 3 where each sleeve was as you knit round.  Treat YO as above.
Row 24: Knit round, but place a stitch marker instead of doing a YO in the middle.

SECTION TWO: The bust shaping (where you increase a few for the bust, and then decrease for the stomach)

Row 25: Knit round, at one stitch before the marker M1, K1, slip marker, K1, M1, and continue knitting round.   
Row 26: Repeat row 25.
Rows 27-43: Knit round.
Row 44: K2T one stitch before marker, K1, slip marker, K1, SSK, and continue knitting the round.
Row 45: Knit round.
Row 46: K2T one stitch before marker, K1, slip marker, K1, SSK, and continue knitting the round.
Row 47: Knit round.
Row 48: K2T two stitches before marker, K2, slip marker, K2, SSK, and continue knitting in the round.
Row 49: Knit round.
Row 50: K2T two stitches before marker, K2, slip marker, K2, SSK, and continue knitting in the round.
(If youve got nice summer-time abs, Id suggest you do more decreases than I did.  You could also put decreases on the sides.)
Rows 51-54: Either knit round, or do more decreases.

SECTION THREE: The bottom upside-down V.
Row 55: Knit round, YO after marker, continue knitting round.
For the next 5 rows knit as above using one YO in the center.
For the next 8 rows knit as above using 2 YOs.
For the next 12 rows knit as above using 3 YOs.
Continue knitting now with 4 YOs until the top is the length you desire.  End with 4 rows of garter stitch to keep it from rolling, continuing the YOs, and bind off.  Weave in ends.  You rock!

Notes:  Youre never knitting those YOs, youre just letting the old ones drop off the needle and making new ones at every row.  
Sizing: I have a 34 bust.  This top is knitted with several inches of negative ease.  To make it bigger or smaller, just add or subtract to the cast-on row.  Also, you could do more raglan increases (which are rows 2-21) to make it bigger.  I just kept putting it on scrap yarn to try it on as I went definitely do that before you bind off the sleeves, but remember to stretch it a little as youre trying it on to mimic a snug fit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010 06:05:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ashenteardrop
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006 09:08:38 AM »

That's lovely!  I need to knit something like that (I tend towards long sleeved sweaters, which never works out like I would have hoped.)  How did you do the sleeves (are they sleeves?  I have no idea what the correct word would be here) and the middle top and bottom detail?

I'm amazed! Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no happiness like that of being loved by our fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.     Jane Eyre
kitschy-kitchen
finishes last

knits with elves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006 09:20:43 AM »

that looks great on you! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chamaecyparis
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006 09:23:09 AM »

That looks so great on you!  Beautiful work.  I'd love to see a pattern- you should submit it to knitty or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006 09:32:45 AM »

i love that- it looks awesome on you- i really like how you placed the yarn overs- its nice that its bra-able- i always get (very) mildly put out by all the shirts that i could never wear- (cause lord knows i can not get away with not wearing a bra)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
vampirebunny
Fashion student *sniggers* The fashion!

I miss hair.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006 10:22:58 AM »

That's really beautiful and practical and Im always looking for things that use ribbon yarn - I don't yet own any but I still love it! - I second submitting it somewhere or maybe just being all nice and posting the pattern....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm up for personal swaps if you are Wink
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006 12:14:15 PM »

I agree you should submit or post a pattern.  I love the sleevs and it fits perfectly!!  Great job  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
cnp71201
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006 09:52:54 PM »

Wow, that is great. Submit, submit! I think that pattern definitely deserves to be seen in a mag! Magknits, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006 10:14:44 PM »

I love that, its simple and cute!  Wink  Can you post a tute or a pattern? I would love to make this.

Great job !

Emms  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calista
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006 10:19:15 PM »

Nice work!
I love the sleeves, and shaping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweet DIY Body And Lip Scrub
Perfect Makeup On A First Date
How to Make Natural Lip Stain
Best Ways To Use Glitter Eyeshadow
FIRST LOOK: Poko Pano - Miami Swim Spring/Summer 2015
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...