A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Table Cloth and 2 Doilys, made by my grandmom  (Read 886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogsrock
« on: April 21, 2006 11:50:40 PM »

my dads mom made these, she died before i was born but i have some of her old crafting supplys like her old latch hook Smiley
they really need to be blocked so excuse the slightly messedup-ness... and i need to find a good place for them

table cloth

lol excuse my feet, but they give some kind of size idea Smiley

doilys.... 2 of them

i could never stand doing something with such a small hook and thread... but the result is beautiful
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011 04:51:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006 10:18:21 PM »

Those are awesome! I would have them framed with acid free paper backing and have them on my wall! I love that table cloth! You could even make a bed spread and tack the table cloth to it as a kind of applique or something... I couldn't use them as table cloths, I just commented on someone else's doily that I just hate it when those kinds of things get all covered up!!! I know they were meant to be used, but these days, that is an art! Yay gramma!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
frogsrock
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 01:36:40 PM »

well the plan is to just have them set in my room as decoration

like get a little table, put a colored cloth on then that one, and put some stuff on it
then leave it alone
doiliys will probably end up used in a similar way...

right now they're folded up on a shelf for safe-keeping

im glad you like them Smiley

and a message to all crafter:
im 16, never met this grandmom, and HATE my dad (and his family in general). but im still very glad i have them, i appreciate the time she spent doing them and hope to pass them on again one day.
crafts are worth passing on, even if they dont mean much to one generation (like my dad) they can mean a lot to the next (like me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 05:34:07 PM »

Wow, those are gorgeous!  Definitely worth keeping and passing on to the next generation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chipper
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006 11:03:24 AM »

Very beautiful!  Congrats on getting them and knowing their "value."   

My husband's grandma is a doily maker and her house is FILLED with them!   Every lamp, plant and knick-knack has it's own doily under it.  Some are ruffled, some are flat, some have color some are just white or ecru.  I love when we go to visit, cause I always spot one I've never seen before.  Sometimes I get really lucky, and she opens up here bottom dresser drawer.  She has LOADS of them stacked up (perfectly blocked and ready to go) or rolled up on tubes if they are big. 

She had trouble for a few years finding yarn (thread) that she liked working with but discovered dmc cebelia and is in LOVE  Smiley  unfortunately, she can't find it around her.  Fortunately, I've become her "supplier" (gotta love the internet) Smiley  I had bought her a bunch as a thank you for letting us stay with her the last time we were home and now she calls everytime she needs something.  Smiley  I love that I can help her.  She is always wanting to pay us for the yarn, but we won't let her.  Instead she "pays" me back by giving me doilies.  Is that the BEST or what?  Smiley  I've been meaning to share some pics but hadn't gotten around to it.  I'll think I'll have to go take a couple and post them here (if you don't mind me sharing the "brag" here)
--chipper
ps did I mention that she will turn 91 in 2 months and is still crocheting these every day?  She called yesterday cause she just finished one for me that she will send soon.  Sweet!
I'm having trouble uploading the pics so I'll post them in my blog instead.  check them out at  http://weaverbrewerandthefam.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shella85222
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006 04:20:36 PM »

What a wonderful thing to have from your grandmother. All three are so pretty. Thread crochet is my fav. thing to do. I really do admire the work and time that had to of went into making that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006 06:33:37 PM »

hehe chippers a dealer Wink
I'll think I'll have to go take a couple and post them here (if you don't mind me sharing the "brag" here)

ps did I mention that she will turn 91 in 2 months and is still crocheting these every day?  She called yesterday cause she just finished one for me that she will send soon.  Sweet!
I'm having trouble uploading the pics so I'll post them in my blog instead.  check them out at  http://weaverbrewerandthefam.blogspot.com/
i dont mind at all Smiley
im amazed that she has good enough eye sight and hand control/strength to still make them at that age, wow
my great grandmom is like 85 and shes almost blind and i dont think her hands are good enough anymore to do anything like that (she was never really crafty)
one of the ladys at her church is in her 90's and she crochets but it has to be worsted weight and very bright (so the stitches are easy to see)

the doillies beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chipper
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006 07:47:50 PM »

Thank you.  I got a package from her today with my newest doily.  I'll probably take a pic and blog it tomorrow

Maybe the next time we go visit, I'll take an extra bag and see how many I can stuff inside it with out her noticing Smiley
--chipp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006 08:24:41 PM »

bwahahaha that is so evil yet such a good idea Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
How to Make a Nude Color Block Necklace
How to Use Crystal Clay and Swarovski Chatons
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...