A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mission impossible: Ugly bedroom, on budget.  (Read 1394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tarnished
« on: April 21, 2006 02:35:10 PM »

Hi, I am a new member looking for some help on a probably often posted problem how to decorate my bedroom.

I have no money but have a lot to cover:-

Three walls are painted mustard yellow, they all have cracks in them, furthermore I have had recent electrical work done so there are plastered up holes around too.

Wall number four is in good condition however is covered in graffiti so cannot easily be painted, my mother in her wisdom wallpapered over this wall, however she did a horrid job where the wallpaper overlaps etc. and used a leaf-type pattern foam wallpaper (white & pink).

I have an idea to use The Rasterbator [http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator] to maybe put this image [http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Jadea_Faith/morethanhuman1uu.jpg] onto the whole of that fourth wall (not sure how I can stick it up without graffiti showing through or it getting worn, but I'd figure it out), maybe get some cheap red paint to do the rest of the walls.

That said I am open to ideas, not just on decorating the walls but also on cool decorating ideas, although be warned I am not very crafty and want it to be grown up, also any ideas on what to do for window coverings? My current curtains and nets are the most ugly things you have EVER seen, but can't afford new curtains, at the moment I have a red throw over the window that looks pretty good, but other ideas welcomed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006 11:55:35 AM »

paint and window treatments go a looooong way.  paint is pretty cheap too.  I think you should pick a color you'd like and throw it on the walls.  if you aren't super-picky about the color, you can often find free paint on craigslist or freecycle, when people have it leftover.  Also, stores like Home Depot (and probably paint stores) sell really cheap messups.  for window treatments, you can get cute sheets or even fabric at the thrift store.   you can sew them yourself, or even use wonder-under or that iron-on hemming stuff if you don't sew.  also curtains can be found at thrift stores, craigslist, freecycle. 

wallpaper can be taken off but I think it's quite a bit of work.

don't despair!  a new coat of paint and new window treatments will make it look 1000x better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006 12:42:10 PM »

Would the graffiti be easier to cover up if you used a coat of primer on it before painting the wall? (I don't know; I don't generally paint.)

Also, curtains are super-easy to make, and like Arabella said, you can pick up cheap, cute fabric (and sometimes ready-made curtains) at fabric and thrift stores. If you don't know how to sew, (or just don't feel like it,) this site has three different no-sew curtain directions: http://www.trystancraft.com/martha/projects/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006 09:01:15 PM »

two words: spray paint. It can be used to redo anything and make it look good. I redid my whole (huge) room for $16 + a 12 dollar gallon of paint. so 28 bucks total! darn i did it  cheaper than i thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 06:48:01 AM »

We once lived in a house with 2 huge pillars at the living room entrance (i know..weird), but they were covered by graffiti.  We used Kilz on them.  It's a white paint designed to cover almost anything.  If you use it, just remember to have tons of ventilation - it'll almost knock you out.  My hubby didn't use enough ventilation once while using it and got to feeling really sick, so be careful!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
girly
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006 05:44:56 PM »

What is it that captures you about the image you want to put on the wall?  (looking for a direction to take the design of the rest of the room)  I am most drawn to the statue in the upper left, and I really like that the whole thing is in black and white.  What colors do you like?  Is there anything currently in there that you want to repurpose? 

I agree, paint and curtains are your friends.

+1 on the Kilz - that stuff is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006 08:23:11 PM »

you can often find free paint on craigslist or freecycle, when people have it leftover..... also curtains can be found at thrift stores, craigslist, freecycle.

Great ideas, arabella! Craigslist and freecycle sound neat. You've piqued my curiousity. Please let me know the websites so I may have access to this glorious free stuff. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006 09:47:08 PM »

freecycle.org for freecycle. What is creig list?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006 07:33:58 AM »

curtains are insanely easy---i got some fabric on clearance at walmart for $1/yd and made a really pretty curtain and tie back with it for my bedroom. i also did this thing with my kitchen....i rent so i didn't want to paint, but i cut diamonds out of paper plates and painted them alternating colors with acrylic paint. i then spaced them evenly around the top of my walls as a border and stuck them with that sticky-tack stuff. it looks awesome and it cost me all of $3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chimera
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006 11:01:16 AM »

You can easily remove any type of wallpaper with water and vinegar. put equal parts water and vinegar in a bucket and use a sponge to soak, really soak the wallpaper. if there is a vinyl, metalic, or plastic like coating on the wallpaer try to remove this first. (they sell those tools at home depot to score wallpaper, but if you use it the wallpaper will come off in bits, which makes a big mess. especially when it is wet.) anyway rip off the top layer of wallpaper if it is plastic-like (it should come off easily) and then soak the remainder of the paper in the water and vinegar solution. the vinegar will loosen the glue. let it sit for a few hours and then you should be able to scrap it off with a putty knife. make sure to wash the rest of the glue off your walls before you paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set up a File Structure for your Images
How to Use Lighting in a Studio
How to Create an Equipment Check List
How to Photograph a Landscape Architecture Image
How to Use Contouring Lines
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...