A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: spools rule! flower tables for oustide!  (Read 2958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laureli
« on: July 10, 2004 05:09:24 PM »

in the backyard,  my parents had these huge spools holding some  plants. i got the idea to paint the tops of them like flowers... so i did, just this morning.  first, i sanded them with an air sander, then used oil-based paints (multiple coasts beacuse the wood soaked it up a lot, and you really want to seal the wood since they'll be oustide, and it's bare wood to begin with. they can also be primered first). they still need some outlining and detailing work, (around the purple flower to look more like petals, and on the daisy, to define the white petals) but the paint's drying right now, and they're so damn pretty- i just had to post!  it would be cool to make the middle and base green like the stem and leaves... but mom 'n' dad just wanted the tops done, with the bases natural ( i think the full-on flower thing is a bit much for their tastes.. oh well) but i think i might you some varnish or verathane on the bases later.

before

after
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004 07:39:36 AM »

that's so cool, how long did it take to dry?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
linty
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004 03:15:43 PM »

Those look great.. I was going to pick one of those up at the side of the road, but sadly there was bugs living in it... I guess once I find a decent one I can go that. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureli
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004 10:30:25 AM »

they pretty much dried overnight, and i went back and did a little bit of outlining/detailing in light grey the next day. considering that i put a lot of coats of oil-based paints, i'm going to give them a few days to really dry before i put plants on them. drying outside in the sun would be ideal, but we have a dog who thinks she's a goat, and likes to stand on things, including the spools!

here they are, all done and outlined (with goat-dog in the lower left corner,under strict supervision!):
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004 05:35:12 AM »

Those turned out really nice.   =)  Th4ey will look great when your folks have freinds over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flolita
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004 02:36:57 PM »

Home Depot and Lowes just throw their spools away (most of them are smaller than the ones you have, and often have cardboard shafts, but they make nice side tables or plant holders). Just head toward the electrical section where they have the big spools of wire and look in and around the garbage cans...you may need to ask first; some stores may recycle, but mine don't, so I have to force myself to walk past the little guys and not pick up anymore. If you don't see any empties, you might look at the "working" spools to see how close the wire is to running out, then ask an associate what their best guess is. Sometimes they will just go ahead and pull the wire off and give you the spool. I got my best spools wearing my tightest jeans, highest heels and most sweet look. Smiley

Flo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Liz Vaccariello Maintains Her Bountiful Bangs
Learn How to Paint Sun-Kissed Balayage Highlights at Home
Ponytails Get Glamorous on the Cannes Red Carpet
Hair How to: Dip-Dye Hair
The Arms Race in Home Hair Color
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...