A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I do with This Sewing Machine  (Read 739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tangieeee
« on: April 20, 2006 03:47:51 PM »

It's small ( the mini dressmaker)
 and it can only do a straight basic stitch.can I still make the same clothes a regular sewing machine can make or is it kinda like a trial and error kind of thing??

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 05:52:23 PM »

well, i'm not sure that machine particularly is up to the task, but you can definitely make ANYTHING with just a straight stitch machine.  get an OLD sewing instruction book on ebay--by old i mean something published during and immediately after WW2--it will explain in complete detail everything you need to know to sew clothing, home decor, etc, using only a straight stitch.  if you need suggestions, look for anything by constance talbot or edna bishop.  also, look for the 1961 edition of the better homes and garden sewing book, it is hands down the best book in more modern construction techniques ever printed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006 06:29:35 PM »

i dont know anything about that machine but i dont usually use more than a straight stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 11:32:13 AM »

well, i'm not sure that machine particularly is up to the task, but you can definitely make ANYTHING with just a straight stitch machine.  get an OLD sewing instruction book on ebay--by old i mean something published during and immediately after WW2--it will explain in complete detail everything you need to know to sew clothing, home decor, etc, using only a straight stitch.  if you need suggestions, look for anything by constance talbot or edna bishop.  also, look for the 1961 edition of the better homes and garden sewing book, it is hands down the best book in more modern construction techniques ever printed.

Rostitchery I am your follower.. Grin hahah. Seriously..you are a great helper!
 Budget is limited...as we all know..is there a best book to buy from the authors you mention above?
 Thank you
 Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 12:12:41 PM »

honestly, my all-time favorite sewing book is the better homes and gardens book but ONLY the 1961 edition--i don't care for the later editions.  but the BHG books uses a zz stitch so it isn't useful if your machine only does straight stitch.

talbot's books have more design ideas than bishop's, but bishop's books have photos and talbot's only have illustrations.  both are VERY COMPLETE manuals.

currently on ebay there are also TWO EDITIONS of a classic patternmaking book by harriet pepin, the bidding on those might get out of hand because this book is kind of rare and very valuable to anybody who truly wants to understand modern patternmaking from a historical perspective.  only bid on it if you simply MUST have it in its original format--the contents of the book itself is available for free online at

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-toc-long.html

but there is something about having the real book in hand that can never be replaced by a webpage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006 05:27:44 PM »

currently on ebay there are also TWO EDITIONS of a classic patternmaking book by harriet pepin, the bidding on those might get out of hand because this book is kind of rare and very valuable to anybody who truly wants to understand modern patternmaking from a historical perspective.  only bid on it if you simply MUST have it in its original format--the contents of the book itself is available for free online at

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-toc-long.html

but there is something about having the real book in hand that can never be replaced by a webpage.
If you can get this book without remortgaging, DO IT. I found mine on abebooks.com for a very reasonable price and I swear I've used this book sooooo many more times than all my other sewing books combined. It shows you how to take a regular pattern and exactly what you need to do to it to make a million different sleeve, skirt, collar, hem, etc variations. A few of the variations are really strange and I doubt were even in fashion in the 40s, but the other 95% of the book is just as applicable today as it was then. My regular-to-puffy sleeve skillz came directly from this book, for instance!

And it's just as useful if you've got a full sewing machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
tangieeee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006 04:26:00 PM »

Thankz for the help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial - Pixel Stretching NewDarkRoom
Photoshop Skin Softening NewDarkRom
Photoshop Eye Colorization
Photoshop Selective Colorization NewDarkRoom
How to make hair selection in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...