A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my take on the non-ugly hip purse (first sewing post!Pic heavy) *Tutorial added*  (Read 5334 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antigone
« on: April 20, 2006 12:37:39 PM »

I wanted to make a cool and practical purse for my sister's birthday - she's going to Australia and New Zealand, and I figured something similar to the hip slinger would be appropriate to hold her small but important stuff. She turned 21 today, yay!

This was my first time sewing a zipper and a lining, so I actually made a practice purse for myself at the same time. I didn't follow a tutorial or a pattern, so I put together one thing for the practice purse, then sewed the same thing on the real one, and so on. (This meant changing the thread colour about a hundred times, but it turned out good.)

Here's my sister modelling her bag (white and black) - fortunately, she liked it! There is a heart inside the lining since she's my sis Smiley Then there is me modelling my bag, the green one - it actually goes with a lot of my clothes, but today I was wearing a black ballerina skirt which may not be the best combination.

Here goes:

***DESCRIPTION***

(I bought the fabric in a small town in Sweden, so I doubt that will help you, but thanks for asking!)

Here's how I did it:

* I cut a piece of paper the size I wanted the bag plus seam allowance. This turned out to be 23x27 cm, and I cut another piece of paper the width the belt should be to fit the d-rings, again including seam allowance.

* Then I drew the "pattern" onto the fabric, starting with the belt so I was sure there would be enough fabric. I cut the squares for the bag and the lining the same size.

* I made an opening where I wanted the zipper to be, in both the outer and inner fabric, the same width as the zipper. At first I didn't make it fit but a friend told me to cut a couple of small arrows by the opening,
like this:   >----------<  Then I could make a neat rectangular opening.

* I sewed the zipper loosely by hand to the front fabric, then sewed it on properly.

* Then I sewed together the pieces for the lining, and then the outer fabric so I had two pockets.

* I fit the lining into the outer fabric and made sure the zipper was in front of the zipper opening in the lining, then I sewed the zipper through both layers of fabric. This means there are two seams around the zipper, but I think that looks good and feels more secure.

* I sewed together the top of the purse, just straight across.

* I ironed the fabric for the belt carefully so it would fold in the right places even without pins.

* I pinned the purse inside the belt and then sewed together the belt. I added a seam at the top of the belt for symmetry.

* Then I checked how long the belt should be, cut it off, sewed around the edges and added the d-rings.

* I also made a little holder ring for the belt.

The finished bag measures 25 x 22 cm and holds several small things like a wallet, mobile phone, passport, small guide book and keys.

Hope this makes sense! Smiley

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 11:16:29 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 12:45:46 PM »

Hey those are totally adorable!  Do you have a tut you used, or want to share?

Also, I love the black, white, and red fabric.  Where's it from?

Deirdre
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 01:09:34 PM »

Love it!   would  love to  know  how  you  did  it  ans  the  zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
catpants

viva la hamsterpants! may he rest in peace.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 01:17:52 PM »

those are great!  i LOVE the fabric for the first one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GIJane
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006 01:50:57 PM »

love the first one's fabric! And off course I love the hip-bags too... Wink Although I wouldn't make them so "long" (top to bottom...) .. but hey, that's just my picky taste talking!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006 03:46:48 PM »

WOW, great job. A tutorial would be fabulous....??!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vorare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006 12:31:28 AM »

Ooh, very nice. I like these a lot, especially the fabric on the first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006 12:40:04 AM »

they are both very nice, well done. hope you get time to consider doing a tutorial.
cheers cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006 01:57:35 AM »

Thanks!  Cheesy I added a tutorial of sorts, but it's just a description of what I did since I didn't follow a pattern or anything.

love the first one's fabric! And off course I love the hip-bags too... Wink Although I wouldn't make them so "long" (top to bottom...) .. but hey, that's just my picky taste talking!! Cheesy

Good point - I didn't realize the perspective is a bit off in the pics. The bags are 22x25 cm, more square than they appear. I wanted them to be that "deep" so they could hold wallet, passport, etc without looking bulky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msmeow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006 09:08:05 AM »

Love the fabric on the first one.  Too bad I'm not going to Sweden anytime soon! 
I have to get around to making on of these hip bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Graffiti Letters
How to Do Graffiti Colors
How to Use Calligraphy Ink
How to Do Different Brush Strokes
How to Draw a Person Sitting Down
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...