A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Easy purse for kids to make??  (Read 2846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mully4235
« on: April 20, 2006 12:02:33 PM »

Are there any really super simple purses out there that an 11, 10, 8, and 5 year old could make?  Something pretty or cute, that I could help them make or something they could make on their own?  I have one week to find a bday present for my cousins and their mom said they really like it when I get them something that I can help them with, apparently they like spending time with me (crazy kids  Grin ).  The only thing I can think of that I haven't helped them make before is a purse.  I thought about making them a monster purse, but I'm not so sure they would like one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Rabbit
One stitch at a time!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 11:57:17 PM »

My sister in law did this with her grandchildren.  Basically, it was a bag shape (simple like a pillowslip), drawstring in the top and then ran the end of the cords to the sides (going lengthwise) to make a backpack shape.  Was cute.  I think she actually used a pattern, but you could probably take the idea and run with it.

J Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mully4235
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006 07:41:36 AM »

My sister in law did this with her grandchildren.  Basically, it was a bag shape (simple like a pillowslip), drawstring in the top and then ran the end of the cords to the sides (going lengthwise) to make a backpack shape.  Was cute.  I think she actually used a pattern, but you could probably take the idea and run with it.

J Cheesy

That sounds like a good idea  Smiley  I might do that if I can figure out how to run the cord/straps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006 07:49:27 AM »

you could try doing http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=68279.0<--this one? it'd be pretty easy. as for hte bag, it sounds as if it's a normal drawstring bag with arm straps? it'd be fairly easy as well. there is a whole list of bag tutorials that you can search for as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006 09:11:45 AM »

You could make a foam bag. I did this with my nieces and they loved it. You get some pieces of fun foam or whatever it is called (Hobby Lobby has a really big selection of patterns, colors sizes and thicknesses if you have one of those near you.)
Cut them to whatever dimension you want. Include a handle. Then you can either glue the pieces at the seams (I find it works well to clamp seams until dry,) you can sew it on your sewing machine,  (I use a leather needle with the point), or you can punch holes with a small hole punch and let the girls lace it up with yarn or that plastic lace stuff you make things out of or whatever you want. Attach handle (either a premade bought handle, or make it out of foam (I would sewing machine on the foam handle for added security.)
Then they can decorate however they want to. Fabric paints in squeeze tubes work good, they have adhesive back pre cut foam things, jewels, ribbon, whatever.

Here are some links to different foam purse patterns
http://www.dltk-kids.com/school/fun_foam_purse.htm
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25079
Wallet out of foam http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25080b

Here's a picture of one made on the sewing machine, probably a bit more advanced than you're looking for but here it is anyway, http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/fe/3d/6b_2.JPG

Here's a link to some foam bag blanks that you decorate (again at least for inspiration)
http://www.craftikids.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=48%2F1812&cat=13
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mully4235
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 12:28:16 PM »

The foam bag sounds cool too, but I can't find any at the Walmart here and we don't have any other cool crafty kind of stores here.  Sad     As for the drawstring, I am having a hard time figuring out how to make it.   Embarrassed  I've looked at all the tutorials here and they just aren't very clear enough for my simple brain lol.  I like the kind where you pull the straps and that is the drawstring that closes the bag, but I just can't figure that out.   Sad   Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006 01:07:53 PM »

oooo tay!
this is a semi-tut for a drawstring backpack.

(excus ethe hastiness of this, it was done in a few min in photoshop ^ ^;Wink

(1st picture on left) Cut your fabric so there is a fold at the bottom, sew up the sides but not all the way, stop about 2inches before the end.

(2nd picture top right) fold and iron the edge inward on both sides, then take the top and fold it over about 1/4 in and then down another 3/4 in to make a casing for the drawstring. iron and sew all the way around.

(3rd picture middle) you should have 4 holes, 2 on each side. now fold the bag right side out and sew across the bottom corners to make little triangles.

(4th picture bottom) you can simply cut holes in the triangles, or put in grommets, or put in buttonholes, whatever you feel like. then youtake 2 lengths of cord and put the thru the casing and tie them at the holes.

you now have a drawstring bag. (i can put up pics of a basic one if you want/ need them)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006 01:11:24 PM by Ryoruki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
mully4235
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006 12:18:25 PM »

Thanks for that tute!!  I had a moment of confusion with how the drawstrings ran thru, but it suddenly became clear to my poor brain  Smiley   Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blungoldangel
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007 03:56:11 PM »

Placemat purses are fairly easy.  You don't have to do lining for them if you pick thick ones.  Click on instructions at the bottom of this page http://www.southern-stitches.com/placematpurse.html.  You'll have to help them keep it straight while they sew, but it's very easy and turns out really good because it's already straight and interfaced for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Casual Beach Braids
How to Do a Heidi Braid Aka Goddess or Renaissance Braid
How to Do a Twist Braid or Rope Braid
How to Do a French Braided Bang
How to Do a Braid Like Drew Barrymore
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...