A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: counterculture cafe: a cry for help!  (Read 1636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chindogu

"you don't need to see my identification."

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2006 10:48:16 PM »

please support counterculture cafe while you still can.  and don't forget about downstairs!

repost of counterculture cafe's myspace bulletin

Ok, so those of you who are regulars at CounterCulture Cafe may have already heard some rumors, and I think it's best that you get your information directly from the source.

We are indeed in dire straits and after having taken a building that had been vacant for years, and never a food and beverage outlet, we sanded floors, we painted walls, we built a coffeebar in what was once a bedroom and we took an easy to miss, out of the way place, established a clientele and built up a business from nothing.

Now our landlords are trying to muscle us out, keep our equipment, and hand over the business to someone with deeper pockets, someone more in line with their approach and their ethics. Maybe someone who will actually be happy with the strip mall they're planning on building behind the place (We most definitely are not! Phoenix has plenty of strip malls!!!)

I met with our landlords on Tuesday and they were trying their hardest to encourage us to walk away from the business, trying to convince me that they'd be doing us a huge favor. In fact they'd like to see us out by this Monday.

We're meeting with them again tomorrow to discuss alternative scenarios (yes, we are a couple weeks behind on rent.)

So here's where you come in.

We need your support, not your pity, and not your donations, but we need people to come in and buy product. Often times the place is packed, and many people have been surprised that we're not yet breaking even, and while we love all the great characters who frequent our establishment, the sad fact is that people hanging out does not pay our bills, it takes people buying product.

So if you appreciate the venue we've provided for artists, musicians, performers and benefits, if you appreciate having a place where you can drop in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and get something good to drink, something healthy to eat, take advantage of the free wifi, meet diverse people and engage in interesting coversations, then I urge you to come in and support the business, not tomorrow, not next week, but RIGHT NOW.

When I meet people out and about and CounterCulture comes up in conversation, too often the response I hear is "Oh wow, you own CounterCulture? I hear that place is really cool...I really should check it out sometime!" Well that time is now or never, because there's a good chance that come Monday morning, CounterCulture will be gone, only to be replaced in a month or two by something much more corporate, much more sterile, much more bland...I imagine the murals will be sandblasted, the furniture replaced, the walls painted beige and the live performances stopped. I imagine the vegan and vegetarian offerings will be gone, and I'm sure you won't be able to get a soy yerba mate latte to save your life.

Mony and I have done the best that we can do with the resources we have available. The demands of owning a 24 hour coffeehouse ultimately led to me losing my well paid dayjob last May, and it's been a struggle ever since. We're still scrambling to come up with an alternative scenario that will prevent us from being locked out, but at this point, we need your help, we need your support. Come, buy stuff, tell your friends, tell your neighbors, your classmates, your coworkers...don't let CounterCulture become another $tarbucks clone.

If you wish to contact me directly please feel free to email me at:

info@countercultureaz.com

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

much love and peace,

-andres

CounterCulture Cafe
2330 E. McDowell Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 231-0762

http://www.CounterCultureAZ.com
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 10:53:04 PM by chindogu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"why should we buy postage stamps?!  we can make our own!"
chris_wass
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 07:53:10 AM »

Time for a last-minute Craftster meetup this weekend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 09:47:37 PM »

Saturday afternoon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
cafeywalsh
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006 12:29:34 PM »

What time Saturday?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006 04:55:22 PM »

two-ish? if earlier would work better, I'm up for that. I just want to run by SAS on my way over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006 09:32:24 AM »

Sorry I missed this before now.  Did you guys go?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minivanmomma

Pumpkin #3 - thumbs up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006 11:36:12 PM »

me too... can we plan another meet up?  I'd sure like to see you all again & I'm leaving for the summer in a few weeks.  Hope we can get together before I go Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Text In Photoshop
How to Create Scary Effects in Photoshop
How to create 3D Text in Photoshop
How to Change Hair Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...