A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Different things with ground beef?  (Read 4704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« on: April 19, 2006 07:38:18 PM »

Ground beef is like the only thing we keep regular in our house. I am getting tired of spaghetti and hamburger helper and soup so what else can i do with it? Something that takes only you know, stuff you always have around the house. I need some quick to fix stuff because I am starving Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 07:30:58 AM »

Metloaf! There is a "kit" you can buy that has a bag and seasonng, all you do is add bread (or breadcrumbs) and catsup! Oh, and meat. . . Takes 2lbs and an hour to cook, but it's worth it. Then you fry the leftovers for sammiches! mmmmm Meatloaf. . .tastes like home. . . .

Sweedish meatballs are great, and can me a meal by themselves. I don't have a recipie on hand, so use thy google-fu!

Hamburger steaks rock too. Bigbig hamburgers without the bun. Use some of the cheap brown gravy in a packet, and chop a bit of garlic to put on top (cook in the hamburger grease) and a baked potato, and carrots! the carrots and tater can be nuked, so the long part is the meat. That's my hubby's fave meal Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
ladybugz1125
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 01:16:15 PM »

chili. serve it with hotdogs or by itself. use it in an omelet (really good). um..shish kabobs..more commomly known as shish kefta. thats all i got now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 01:21:11 PM »

Make little meatballs with ground beef and whatever seasonings you like(salt, pepper, garlic, onion, seasoning salt, mrs. dash, whatever)  cook them in a skillet. add cream of mushroom soup.  serve over rice, mashed potatoes, noodles.  yumm-O
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iriam
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006 07:22:42 PM »

stroganaf - brown hamburger add an onion sliced and sautee with hamburger then add about 3/4 cup of grated cheddar and a can of cream of mushroom soup stir until heated through and then serve w/ rice, potatoes or pasta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006 07:37:33 PM »

real stroganoff doesn't use ground beef, it uses stew beef cubes and cooks for a long time.
However, here's my recipe, adapted from Betty Crocker for hamburger stroganoff, which is a little more detailed than the one above.
1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
a few dashes of red pepper flakes [to taste]
between 3/4 to 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream [you can add more to taste]
8 oz mushrooms, sliced [you can use canned but they're not as good as fresh. If you use canned, use 1-2 cans depending on how much you like mushrooms]

Saute onion and garlic in frying pan with a little oil until starting to become translucent. Add mushrooms [if fresh] and cook until done. Add crumbled raw hamburger and brown. Drain off any excess fat/water [careful here!] Add red pepper flakes, soup, and sour cream, heat until hot through. Serve over egg noodles, rice, baked or mashed potatoes --or--

spoon stroganoff into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan. Cover top with tater tots or crispy crowns and cook in a 350 degree oven until tots are cooked. Tater tot hot dish! Alternatively, you can cook the tots to crispy in the oven while you make the stroganoff and then just throw the cooked tots on top of the stroganoff on the plate. That's my preferred method, it stays crispier. One batch serves my fiance and I at least twice, and we often tot it up one night, and eat with egg noodles or rice another night.

I also really like making chili. Especially easy if you have a crock pot. Here's the recipe I just developed for crock pot chili, there aren't any beans, but you could easily add a bunch, 1-2 cans, drained before added.

2 pounds ground beef
3 jalepenos diced, seeds removed
1 large onion
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 tblsp chili powder
20 shakes tapatio [if you don't have tapatio, try some tabasco. tapatio is a picante sauce, so it gives a lot of heat the longer it sits with things]
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 bottle of beer [lighter than dead guy ale]
2 tsp garlic powder
one teaspoon [eating sized spoon, not measuring] minced garlic
1 1/2 tblsp kosher salt

Cook onions until slightly translucent. Set aside. Cook ground beef with all of your spices until brown and done. Mix onions, beef/spices and everything else in the crockpot. Cook over low heat for at least 7 hours, we cooked it for 10 and it was fine. Could also be cooked over high for 4-5 hours. There should be enough liquid that you won't have to worry about stirring. If you add beans you might want to beef up some of the spices. Garnish with anything you like, if anything. Great with cornbread [those little boxes of jiffy brand are quick and easy and cheap] or crusty bread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006 08:37:50 PM »

I love my sweet and sour meatballs:
2 lb ground beef
onion pwd
2 eggs
3/4 c bread brumbs
milk
12 oz BBQ sauce
12 oz grape jelly
1 tsp lemon juice

mix hamburger, bread crumbs, onion powder and eggs, mix well. add a little bit of milk, maybe a tablesppon or two to moisten. mix well.Make bite size meatballs, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until they are done.
In a pot on the stove put in your equal amounts of BBQ and grape jelly, add a teaspoon to tablespoon of lemon juice. heat and stiron low until grap jelly melts, stir. When meatballs are done, strain them and then put in pot. cook about 5-10 mintes, serve plain or over mashed potatoes or rice.

I cut this recipe in half for my husband and I. The meatballs aren't to good the next day, they get kinda tacky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006 05:23:49 AM »

My mom used to make this dish called "hamburger n' gravy."  The gravy is a white gravy, kind of like that served with sausage, gravy and biscuits. 

It's like this:

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
dash paprika
2 cups water, milk or broth
2 tblsp cornstarch or flour

Brown hamburger with salt and pepper in a large, heavy skillet.  When it' s cooked through, reduce heat and scoot hamburger to one side of the skillet.  Whisk starch into the grease (if there's a lot of grease, you might spoon some of it out; you only need a tablespoon or two).  Add liquid and stir everything together.  Simmer till sauce is thick and slightly bubbly. 

This can be served over texas toast, biscuits, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.  I always liked it best with mashed potatoes.  Definite comfort food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006 05:32:56 AM »

Besides all of the items already mentioned,
there's stuffed green peppers
brown hamburger, onion, and garlic, add tomato sauce and whatever seasonings you like.
Mix in some minute rice. Stuff the mixture into hollowed out peppers, place in a baking dish with a bit of water on the bottom. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake til rice is done and cheese is melted.

Tator Tot casserole
I brown the meat first, but if you don't want to do this step, just cook it until meat is done.
Brown meat with a little onion and a touch of garlic (not necessary, but we love garlic)
Place on the bottom of a caserole (I usually add some cooked rice too, because I like to stretch the beef, but again, that's me)
Salt and pepper plenty over the beef
Cover beef with 1 can green beans (french cut is best,) drained
cover that with one can of cream of mushroom soup
cover that with another can of green beans ,drained
salt a pepper again a bit.
On top put a layer of tator tots or tator puffs or whatever.
If the meat was already browned bake uncovered for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven until tator tots are done and food is warmed through
If the meat wasn't already browned bake covered for about 45 minutes uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes making sure the meat is done and the tator tots are browned.

We honestly don't eat a lot of ground beef, but these are some of our favorites, along with cheeseburger soup, hamburger gravy on noodles or mashed potatoes, meatballs, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006 06:29:19 AM »

My first thought was...Meatloaf
Then, I thought Stuffed Green Peppers, mmmmmmmmm....

But the only one that hasn't been mentioned is....Pizza!
Make your own dough from scratch, or layer your toppings on top of a flour tortilla for a SO FAST meal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
How to Remove Tracking Markers - Shake 4
How to Do Slipping Technique - Shake 4
How to Export Your Media - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...