A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Different things with ground beef?  (Read 4518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« on: April 19, 2006 07:38:18 PM »

Ground beef is like the only thing we keep regular in our house. I am getting tired of spaghetti and hamburger helper and soup so what else can i do with it? Something that takes only you know, stuff you always have around the house. I need some quick to fix stuff because I am starving Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 07:30:58 AM »

Metloaf! There is a "kit" you can buy that has a bag and seasonng, all you do is add bread (or breadcrumbs) and catsup! Oh, and meat. . . Takes 2lbs and an hour to cook, but it's worth it. Then you fry the leftovers for sammiches! mmmmm Meatloaf. . .tastes like home. . . .

Sweedish meatballs are great, and can me a meal by themselves. I don't have a recipie on hand, so use thy google-fu!

Hamburger steaks rock too. Bigbig hamburgers without the bun. Use some of the cheap brown gravy in a packet, and chop a bit of garlic to put on top (cook in the hamburger grease) and a baked potato, and carrots! the carrots and tater can be nuked, so the long part is the meat. That's my hubby's fave meal Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
ladybugz1125
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 01:16:15 PM »

chili. serve it with hotdogs or by itself. use it in an omelet (really good). um..shish kabobs..more commomly known as shish kefta. thats all i got now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 01:21:11 PM »

Make little meatballs with ground beef and whatever seasonings you like(salt, pepper, garlic, onion, seasoning salt, mrs. dash, whatever)  cook them in a skillet. add cream of mushroom soup.  serve over rice, mashed potatoes, noodles.  yumm-O
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iriam
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006 07:22:42 PM »

stroganaf - brown hamburger add an onion sliced and sautee with hamburger then add about 3/4 cup of grated cheddar and a can of cream of mushroom soup stir until heated through and then serve w/ rice, potatoes or pasta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006 07:37:33 PM »

real stroganoff doesn't use ground beef, it uses stew beef cubes and cooks for a long time.
However, here's my recipe, adapted from Betty Crocker for hamburger stroganoff, which is a little more detailed than the one above.
1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
a few dashes of red pepper flakes [to taste]
between 3/4 to 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream [you can add more to taste]
8 oz mushrooms, sliced [you can use canned but they're not as good as fresh. If you use canned, use 1-2 cans depending on how much you like mushrooms]

Saute onion and garlic in frying pan with a little oil until starting to become translucent. Add mushrooms [if fresh] and cook until done. Add crumbled raw hamburger and brown. Drain off any excess fat/water [careful here!] Add red pepper flakes, soup, and sour cream, heat until hot through. Serve over egg noodles, rice, baked or mashed potatoes --or--

spoon stroganoff into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan. Cover top with tater tots or crispy crowns and cook in a 350 degree oven until tots are cooked. Tater tot hot dish! Alternatively, you can cook the tots to crispy in the oven while you make the stroganoff and then just throw the cooked tots on top of the stroganoff on the plate. That's my preferred method, it stays crispier. One batch serves my fiance and I at least twice, and we often tot it up one night, and eat with egg noodles or rice another night.

I also really like making chili. Especially easy if you have a crock pot. Here's the recipe I just developed for crock pot chili, there aren't any beans, but you could easily add a bunch, 1-2 cans, drained before added.

2 pounds ground beef
3 jalepenos diced, seeds removed
1 large onion
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 tblsp chili powder
20 shakes tapatio [if you don't have tapatio, try some tabasco. tapatio is a picante sauce, so it gives a lot of heat the longer it sits with things]
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 bottle of beer [lighter than dead guy ale]
2 tsp garlic powder
one teaspoon [eating sized spoon, not measuring] minced garlic
1 1/2 tblsp kosher salt

Cook onions until slightly translucent. Set aside. Cook ground beef with all of your spices until brown and done. Mix onions, beef/spices and everything else in the crockpot. Cook over low heat for at least 7 hours, we cooked it for 10 and it was fine. Could also be cooked over high for 4-5 hours. There should be enough liquid that you won't have to worry about stirring. If you add beans you might want to beef up some of the spices. Garnish with anything you like, if anything. Great with cornbread [those little boxes of jiffy brand are quick and easy and cheap] or crusty bread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006 08:37:50 PM »

I love my sweet and sour meatballs:
2 lb ground beef
onion pwd
2 eggs
3/4 c bread brumbs
milk
12 oz BBQ sauce
12 oz grape jelly
1 tsp lemon juice

mix hamburger, bread crumbs, onion powder and eggs, mix well. add a little bit of milk, maybe a tablesppon or two to moisten. mix well.Make bite size meatballs, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until they are done.
In a pot on the stove put in your equal amounts of BBQ and grape jelly, add a teaspoon to tablespoon of lemon juice. heat and stiron low until grap jelly melts, stir. When meatballs are done, strain them and then put in pot. cook about 5-10 mintes, serve plain or over mashed potatoes or rice.

I cut this recipe in half for my husband and I. The meatballs aren't to good the next day, they get kinda tacky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006 05:23:49 AM »

My mom used to make this dish called "hamburger n' gravy."  The gravy is a white gravy, kind of like that served with sausage, gravy and biscuits. 

It's like this:

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
dash paprika
2 cups water, milk or broth
2 tblsp cornstarch or flour

Brown hamburger with salt and pepper in a large, heavy skillet.  When it' s cooked through, reduce heat and scoot hamburger to one side of the skillet.  Whisk starch into the grease (if there's a lot of grease, you might spoon some of it out; you only need a tablespoon or two).  Add liquid and stir everything together.  Simmer till sauce is thick and slightly bubbly. 

This can be served over texas toast, biscuits, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.  I always liked it best with mashed potatoes.  Definite comfort food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006 05:32:56 AM »

Besides all of the items already mentioned,
there's stuffed green peppers
brown hamburger, onion, and garlic, add tomato sauce and whatever seasonings you like.
Mix in some minute rice. Stuff the mixture into hollowed out peppers, place in a baking dish with a bit of water on the bottom. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake til rice is done and cheese is melted.

Tator Tot casserole
I brown the meat first, but if you don't want to do this step, just cook it until meat is done.
Brown meat with a little onion and a touch of garlic (not necessary, but we love garlic)
Place on the bottom of a caserole (I usually add some cooked rice too, because I like to stretch the beef, but again, that's me)
Salt and pepper plenty over the beef
Cover beef with 1 can green beans (french cut is best,) drained
cover that with one can of cream of mushroom soup
cover that with another can of green beans ,drained
salt a pepper again a bit.
On top put a layer of tator tots or tator puffs or whatever.
If the meat was already browned bake uncovered for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven until tator tots are done and food is warmed through
If the meat wasn't already browned bake covered for about 45 minutes uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes making sure the meat is done and the tator tots are browned.

We honestly don't eat a lot of ground beef, but these are some of our favorites, along with cheeseburger soup, hamburger gravy on noodles or mashed potatoes, meatballs, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006 06:29:19 AM »

My first thought was...Meatloaf
Then, I thought Stuffed Green Peppers, mmmmmmmmm....

But the only one that hasn't been mentioned is....Pizza!
Make your own dough from scratch, or layer your toppings on top of a flour tortilla for a SO FAST meal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strgazr
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006 06:42:37 AM »

Tacos!!!  Thats what we always use ground beef for and we always keep old el paso kits in the cabinet. They are quick and yummy.  The gordita kit is the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atomic Alice
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006 07:09:06 AM »

I love to make Shepherd's Pie, similar to the tater tot ground beef recipe.  Brown ground beef (or ground turkey), add frozen mixed veggies (I like the peas and carrots), some onion, Worcestershire, A1 sauce, salt, pepper, onion or garlic powder, oregano, whatever.  Shove everything to one side of the pan so the juices collect in one spot, and add a tablespoon or so of flour and mix to make a paste.  Add some beef broth and stir to make a gravy.  Dump the whole thing in a baking dish.  Make some instant mashed potatoes and put on top and bake in the oven around 350 F for fifteen- twenty minutes or so until the potatoes get a little browned in spots and everything is heated through.   You could also take the filling and put into potato skins or serve over baked potatoes instead of making it like a casserole.  Tacos are also a favorite and so is frito pie:

Frito Pie

Brown ground beef, small minced onion, garlic powder in pan.  When browned, push everything to one side and tip pan so juices collect--add about 1Tbsp. flour and stir.  Add 1/2 cup of water, can of diced tomatoes (Undrained) and a can of black beans (rinsed and drained).  Add 2 Tbsp. chile powder and stir.  If mixture is too thick, add a little more water.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  To serve, put some fritos (or tortilla chips) into a bowl and top with the chili mixture.  Garnish with hot sauce, sour cream, shredded cheddar, etc. yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://foolmoon.etsy.com

Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh, no, said Merricat, you'll poison me.
Atomic Alice
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006 07:21:34 AM »

I forgot about this one, its really good too and kind of spring-y

Mini Cheeseburger Salad with Yellow Mustard Viniagrette (Rachael Ray)

1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or ground turkey
1/4 cup finely chopped onion, eyeball it
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
3/4 pound brick sharp Cheddar (recommended: Cabot brand or Cracker Barrel brand* )
3 large hearts romaine lettuce
1 cup sliced pickles, drained choose from sweet, half-sour or dill varieties
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
Dressing:
3 tablespoons yellow mustard (recommended: French's brand)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 tablespoons drained salad pimentos or, 1/4 small red bell pepper, finely chopped

* There are many flavors of sharp Cheddar out in today's markets to choose from, so go plain or go wild! Among the choices out there in sharp cheddars: 5-peppercorn, smoked, dill, garlic and herb, roasted garlic, horseradish, chipotle, habanero, jalapeno on and on!
Preheat a grill pan or a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat or, preheat outdoor grill.

Combine the meat with onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Form 2-inch meatballs, then flatten them into patties. Drizzle formed mini patties with extra-virgin olive oil to keep them from sticking to cooking surface.

Slice the brick of cheese into 1/4-inch pieces. Place patties into a preheated pan or grill pan or arrange on outdoor grill. Cook the mini burgers for 3 minutes on each side then add cheese to melt over patties. On outdoor grill, close the lid to melt cheese. In a skillet or on a grill pan, tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil to melt cheese.

Coarsely chop romaine and combine with sliced pickles and halved cherry or grape tomatoes.

Whisk together the mustard and cider vinegar. Stream in the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the chopped chives and pimentos, stir to combine

Arrange mini cheeseburgers on salad and drizzle prepared yellow mustard over the completed dish.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://foolmoon.etsy.com

Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh, no, said Merricat, you'll poison me.
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006 07:34:05 AM »

I second the chili.  If you have a crock pot/slow cooker, you can mix up the ingredients in the morning and let it cook on low all day.  Then you can microwave the leftovers or freeze some for another time.  (I have a 5.5 qt crock pot and I can fit almost 4 lbs worth of ground meat chili).

But, another thing I make is crescent roll canneloni.  You brown a pound of ground beef with chopped onion and green peppers, drain it, add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste, season with oregano and garlic powder.  Let it cool down a bit before filling the crescents.  Then you just use the unroll and bake crescent rolls, but you leave 2 of them together to make a rectangle.  Seal them together as best you can, put about 1/3 cup of filling in the center, then roll them up from one short side, pinching the sides to seal.  Place them seam side down on a cookie sheet (spray it with cooking spray first), brush with a bit of beaten egg, then bake according to package directions.  Heat up some spaghetti sauce while they're baking and top the canneloni with that.  They're really filling, too.

The full pound of beef makes enough for 2 cans of crescent rolls, or a total of 8 canneloni.  If you only want to make one can's worth, you can freeze the other half of the mixture and make more later.  Or you can make them all at one time, and freeze half of the finished rolls for another time.  They reheat pretty well.  (Can you tell I'm big on freezing stuff?  I am my  mother's daughter . . .)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006 01:21:32 PM »

who-oh! Look at all the yummy recipes! I can't wait to try some of them! Keep the recipes coming. I wan't to see what eles ya'll can come up with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006 10:34:40 AM »

Cook up some beef, THEN further mash it up in a food processor with some pesto, cooked bell peppers, a few black olives, some tomato paste or sauce and make a hand-held turnover with pie crust.

Make a meatloaf mix, but spread out the meat mix as "dough" (try for a rectangular shape), top with slices of herb-roasted veg, and roll 'er up jellyroll style. Sure, add some cheese.

Make a hamburger stew, toss in a pan of some kind and top with cornbread batter. Bake it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006 11:46:18 AM »

taco casserole

taco meat with diced tomatoes and a bit of finely diced chiles (canned) and a can of corn mixed in, toss in a casserole dish, put a cup of taco or cheddar cheese on it, then top with corn bread batter, bake at 350 degrees for 20 - ish minutes.

toss 1\2 a pound of browned hamburger into a pot of mac and cheese.

I use taco meat in my shephard's pie - gives it a bit extra flavor.  Plus I have a kid that won't eat anything unless it could peel the paint off the walls.  lol

When I brown up my hamburger, I add a bit of water and two boullion cubes per pound, and a splash of gravy master.  Gives it a better flavor.  Not that that's a recipe really, but it's good...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006 05:28:27 PM »

Oh these things sound so good.hehe.I have one to add..Theres one rice dish thing I got from the back of the minute rice box.hehe
So you brown up some hamburger you can use however much you want I improvise.Then I add a package of taco seasoning and water,I use 1 cup water to 1 cup of rice I usually use 4 cups of rice and 4 cups of water.then I add a can of tomatoes,drained.A can of black beans drained and rinsed and a can of corn,drained.Then I cook it for like 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.Then I put cheese on it and eat,it's yummy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006 07:49:13 PM »

Hey, that reminded me...I use the generic beef flavored rice-a-roni, and I add a pound of browned beef to it and my family loves it.  It's our "Oh, shit it's 7:00 and we forgot about dinner" dinner.  lol
We do the same with chicken, with the chicken flavor rice.  Oh, and throw a can of french cut green beans in there too.  Mmm, yummy.  That's what we had for dinner tonight.  At 7:15.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006 03:37:37 PM »

This is from all-recipes and is also good to drop in homemade or store bought spaghetti sauce as well as the meathballs sandwiches.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 French baguette
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch salt, or to taste
1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
4 slices provolone cheese

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, gently mix by hand the ground beef, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Shape into 12 meatballs, and place in a baking dish.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked through. Meanwhile, cut the baguette in half lengthwise, and remove some of the bread from the inside to make a well for the meatballs. Brush with olive oil, and season with garlic powder and salt. Slip the baguette into the oven during the last 5 minutes of the meatball's time, or until lightly toasted.
While the bread toasts, warm the spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. When the meatballs are done, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the sauce. Spoon onto the baguette and top with slices of provolone cheese. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Cool slightly, cut into servings, and enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006 03:52:44 PM »

Oh I thought of another one.YAY!
This is one of my favorites and even my picky little brother likes it.Taco salad.So the indgredients are:
lettuce
salsa
groundbeef(a pound or so)
tortilla chips(blue corn are good but you can use regular)
shredded cheese
taco seasoning
*optional:
a can of corn(rinsed)
a can of black beans(rinsed and drained)

Brown ground beef,drain and add taco seasoning according to directions on packet.Then you crush up about a cup of tortilla chips(I eye ball it until the bottom of the bowl is covered,I like a lot in it but however much you want)Then add lettuce,you can shredd it with a knife or just break it apart with your finger's,what ever you want to do.Add grown beef to bowl on top and add about a cup of the salsa(I also eye ball that,if you want it spicy add more, if not then you can add less)top with cheese toss it together so its mixed up and serve.Yummy!
*If you want to add the corn and black beans make sure they are drained(and I like the black beans rinsed off too)and add before you put the meat in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006 03:55:35 PM »

oh and about the lettuce I use about half a head of it but it all depends on how lettucey(if thats a word.lol) you want it and how much you are making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rahgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006 11:44:20 PM »

porcupines!

Super easy and yummy...

Take raw ground beef, a diced onion, some diced garlic, salt and pepper and some instant rice and some tomatoe sauce

Mix well, and make meatballs and place in an oven proof baking pan and bake, pour off the grease and add the rest of the tomatoe sauce on top and bake a little bit longer...

I don't cook with measurements, I am sure if you google it you can find the exact recipe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpatti
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006 11:30:56 AM »

Press a couple cloves of garlic and mince about an inch of fresh ginger.  Cook with a lb of cheap burger crumbled into a hot wok or really big frying pan (the cheap bit matters, if you buy super-lean burger, you're going to have to add oil to the recipe).

Once the burger is cooked, toss in a package of shredded cabbage (or shred a whole head of cabbage yourself).  Toss until all the cabbage is well covered in grease and stir while cooking.  This isn't exactly like stir-fry... the cabbage will first start giving off liquid first, and once the liquid dries up a bit, then it will brown a bit.

Cook just until the cabbage starts to brown, then add a bunch of soy sauce and stir.

This is a family favorite here.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xSaraScene
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006 03:00:34 PM »

My mom makes this stuff called...erm..."Stuff". (I kid you not, it's called Stuff.)

Brown one pound of ground beef with one good-sized onion. Then add a can of cream of mushroom soup, one can of Rotel, and one can of Ranch-style beans.

Serve over tortilla chips and top with sour cream, cheese, black olives, or whatever you like!

It's a twist on nachos, very tasty and cooks up in under 15 minutes.''

If you have any leftovers, you can make burritos with it and freeze them individually in wax paper for a fast, microwave meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beetlepose
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006 11:19:18 PM »

Nachos, mixed with KD, Italian wedding soup.....those are some of my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006 05:44:50 AM »

Please, what is KD?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JBoudreau
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006 08:22:42 AM »

Here's something that is tasty that I haven't made for a while, sorry I can't be precise with the measurements, I always just make it up as I go.

BLT Pizza
Ground beef (I usually use about a pound)
Pizza Sauce
1 loaf French Bread, cut in half lengthwise and again crosswise. Sometimes I use Italian bread, I'm rebellous that way.
Bacon, about 4 slices, more if you want. I use turkey bacon.
Cheese, again, whatever you want, cheddar, mozzerella, whatever.
Tomatoes, diced. I use fresh, but I guess you could use canned if you drain them.
Whatever other vegetables you want. I just realized that even though this is called BLT Pizza, there is no "L."  Cheesy

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the bacon and crumble into bits. Brown the hamburger and drain. Return to the pan and stir in the pizza sauce. While the hamburger is browning, toast the pieces of bread for 5 minutes, just to get them a little bit of a toasting so the hamburger has a more substantial base to sit on.

To assemble: put hamburger/sauce mixture on the pieces of bread, then top with bacon and cheese, top with tomato and any other veggies you want. Back in the oven it goes, until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sach monster
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006 09:07:18 AM »

I second taco salad.... but we use fritos (doesn't get soggy, nice thick crunch...) and also, we use a dressing that's a mayo and green taco sauce mix.... totally yummy!!!

also, my other favourite is a taco stack.
basically, brown the beef- either with taco seasoning pack or (i live in london, so i don't have a supply of that) just mix with chilli powder and cumin, maybe a dash of salt... anyhow, then get package of tortillas, refried beans, shredded cheese, salsa, olives. 

on a tortilla, spread beans, beef, cheese, olives, salsa- then place another tortilla on top. slightly press down, and layer again.  you can do this 5-6 times, and on last layer, just butter the top and i like to add cheese- then bake for 15 mins. 

it is absolutely delicious!!! 

it's a bit fiddly trying to make all the layers, but it's SOOOO worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluedox
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006 09:29:33 AM »

I didn't see anyone else say Goulash. My husband loves it, and I always laugh b/c what he doesn't realize is that I make this when I am trying to get rid of odds and ends around here.

Anyway I mix:
Ground beef
beans (we do green and black as those are the only ones I like)
veggies (could be almost anything) I've used peas corn onions broccoli carrots tomatoes
garlic
cheese (shredded cheddar and usually some Parmesan)
pasta (short, I usually use the end of elbow mac boxes)
cheap tomato sauce (seems like I buy those small cans then don't know what to do with it)
oregano
whatever other spices I get a whim to use
and for good measure I always add in a bay leaf

Mix it all together, and then add a little more cheese at the end so it gets stringy (he loves that).

I swear my husband eats like a toddler. I could fix a great recipe with great ingredients and not hear a word from him. Then I make slop like this and he eats 3 plates and can't shut up about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beetlepose
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006 09:49:39 AM »

Please, what is KD?

Kraft Dinner (Mac&Cheese)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006 10:38:31 AM »

Please, what is KD?

Kraft Dinner (Mac&Cheese)

Ohhhhhhhh! Duh!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
empress_deva
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2006 06:17:20 PM »

My grandma taught me this recipe and I use it often
Hash
Ground Beef
Onions (chopped)
Potatoes (small cube)
2 cans Tomato Sauce
1 can water
Salt
Pepper

Saute onions, then brown ground beef with sauteed onions, salt and pepper.  Drain.  Place ground beef back into pan and add potatoes, tomato sauce, water and more salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until potatoes are soft.
(Note: my grandma puts raisins in it which I don't like so I don't use it.  If you want to, you can add a couple of handfuls of raisins to it.  It adds a little unexpected sweetness that some people like.  Everyone else in my family likes it.)
Another variation that an uncle does is to not drain the ground beef, add the potatoes and raisins, and emit the tomato sauce.  This makes a *naked* version as my family says.

I also like taco pasta.  Ground beef, large elbow noodles (macaroni), taco seasoning (usually 2 packets) and tomato sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://devarocks.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/deva5aaron

I feel like a hero and you are my heroine
Do you know that your love is the sweetest sin?
annalaura
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006 05:27:24 AM »

This is a South African recipe and it isn't the easiest thing to cook, but boy it is impressive.  This is one to cook for the Mother in Law!

Luxury Bobotie

Ingredients:

beef mixture
1kg beef mince
2 grated carrots (optional, for bulking up)
1 large onion
2 tablespoons oil
2 level Tablespoons medium curry powder
1 level teaspoon turnmeric
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 slices bread
Enough milk to soak bread
1 large tablespoon fruit chutney
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
handfull sultanas
handful flaked almonts
4 bay leaves
1 egg
Custard topping
250 ml sour cream
1 egg
butter
salt and pepper
milk
Sabols:
finely chopped onions and tomatos
shredded lettice
grated carrot
yoghurt and grated cucumber (remove seeds)
Coconut
sliced banana

Method:

1. Put oil in large saucepan, heat. Add onions and saute till clear.
2. Put 2 slices of bread in a dish and cover in milk so bread will soften, set aside.
4. Add carrots and cook and combine with onions.
5. Add curry and turnmeric and cook spices for a minute or two to release flavours.
6. When pan is sizzling add vinegar, watch the fumes getting into your eyes.
7. Add chutney and salt and pepper.
8. Add mince.  Fold in with fork breaking up meat. Do this gently so meat doesnt not end up like sole of shoe. Ensure all meat is covered in the curry mixture. (can add chili for people who like it hot.)
9.  Once meat is browned and combines take off heat.
10. Break up and egg, then fold it into the meat mixure quickly so it wont cook.
11.Mash up milk and bread mixture. If their is a lot of milk it may need draining.
13. Add milky bread to meat mixture, again folding it gently with a fork.
14. Spread out in buttered dish. Don't thump it down, do it gently.
Custard Mix:
15. Wisk Egg and cream and add salt and pepper till nicely blended.
16. Put custard over meat mixture gently so it seems down into the meat. Cover the top with flaked almonts, bay leaves and blobs of butter. Cook in a dish of water (bay maree) so it wont burn. 160C for 25-30 minutes.

Rice:
17.1/4 cup per person.
18. for every 1 cup rice 2 1/4 cups water.
19. wash or soak rice before cooking. 
20. Bring to boil then turn off heat, do not remove lid.
21. Add Turnmeric, rice spice, malaysian rice spice, raisons.
serve with fruit chutney

THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006 05:41:57 AM »

What about Sloppy Joes?

I'd make them from scratch, but Manwich is delicious, and you can keep the cans in the pantry ready to go.

1lb cooked ground beef mixed with one can Manwich (we like the "Bold" flavor) makes yummy-weeknight-kid-friendly sandwiches.

Once I mixed in our leftover baked beans and my kids liked it even better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006 06:08:18 AM »

Oh I was just about to say Sloppy Joes! If you don't want to Manwich them, this recipe from my husband's grandma kicks butt:

Grammy's Sloppy Joes

1 pound hamburger
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
a dash of salt, sugar and pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Sautee the onion with the hamburger until it is browned. Drain. Mix with other ingredients and simmer about 10 minutes.

Delicious!

-trina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
IamSusie
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006 06:18:17 AM »

Oh I was just about to say Sloppy Joes! If you don't want to Manwich them, this recipe from my husband's grandma kicks butt:

Grammy's Sloppy Joes

1 pound hamburger
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
a dash of salt, sugar and pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Sautee the onion with the hamburger until it is browned. Drain. Mix with other ingredients and simmer about 10 minutes.

Delicious!

-trina

I bet those are good! Manwich is very tomato saucey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006 06:43:51 AM »

Annalaura,
I'm having just a little trouble following/adapting your recipe to what we have readily accessible here in Texas.

Would you please describe what ingredients make up  rice spice and malaysian rice spice?

Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006 08:07:07 AM »

I like to make my vegetable beef soup with ground beef instead of stew beef personally.  I do it in the crockpot:

-3/4 lb. of ground beef (already browned)
-1 large can of V-8 (I don't know the oz. on it, but I mean the really big cans)
-Spices to taste (I use salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and basil)
-1 pack of frozen mixed vegetables (I get carrots, peas, lima beans, etc.)
-1 can of stewed tomatoes, drained
-Any other veggies you like (onion, etc.)

Cooked on high in the crock pot for 4 hours.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006 08:12:42 AM by Petunia0384 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
annalaura
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006 03:31:57 AM »

McJulie-O

Oh, you know what, I don't even know what it is.  I just add turnmeric when cooking the rice and it comes out a nice yellow colour.  Whenever I have eaten it it has not had malaysain spice mix in it, or the other things, except salt and turnmeric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogswife
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006 03:48:18 AM »

My mom used to make a hamburger soup. She would brown gr beef then drain it and put it in an oven proof bowl or casserole then add cubed potatoes and a couple of cans of peas then cover with water and spice it with what kind you like....salt, pepper, oregano, garlic....you know what ever you like then cook it til the potatoes were done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maple French Toast Recipe
Meatless Chili Recipe
How to Make Fun and Creative Pancakes For Kids
How to Make Scrambled Eggs
Healthy Kitchen Swaps
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...