A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WANTED: a tutorial for a knitted beanie  (Read 2595 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celebrity_skin
« on: July 09, 2004 11:11:36 PM »

Ok so I'm not an experienced knitter. The only thing I've ever made is a scarf and a blanket....but the blanket was made of 6 scarves sewn together  Embarrassed. So if someone could give me a simple explanation to make a beanie I would be eternally greatful. Oh and I was  also wondering how hard it is to make a beanie with kitty ears on it...anyways I would definetly appreciate your help  Smiley
                                   * KrIs

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alyssa615
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004 09:59:03 AM »

I don't think it would be very hard. Get the Stitch'n' Bitch book by Debbie Stoller. There is a hat with cat ears. You could just follow the directions for it and leave off the cords or knit them if you want them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004 01:41:23 PM »

This is how to make a custom-fit beanie/tuque in any yarn:

Materials:
about  2oz of yarn (more if you want a folded edge)

1 16-inch circular needle in a size to suit your yarn
1 set of double pointed needles in the same size

You can knit the whole thing on the dpns, but I prefer to knit most of the hat on a circular needle.

1. Knit a gauge swatch in your desired stitch pattern* and ascertain your number of stitches per inch. This number is "A".
*Remember that you will be decreasing for the crown, so if you want the stitch pattern to go all the way to the top, plan on how you will do the decreases in pattern!

2. Measure the circumference of your head, then subtract an inch or two. How much you subtract depends on how snug you like your hats. This number is "B".

3. Multiply A x B.  Fudge the number upwards or downwards to get to a result that is evenly divisible by either 5 or 6.  This is "C". Cast this number of stitches onto the short circular or double pointed needles. Join and mark the beginning of the round.

4. Decide what you would like the lower edge to be like:
An inch or so of ribbing or garter stitch will give it a non-rolling edge.
For a roll-edge, knit every row (you may want to knit the first inch on smaller needles).
For a folded cuff, knit a few inches of ribbing or another stitch pattern, remembering that the "wrong" side of your knitting will show.

5. Once you have completed your edge treatment, knit (in main stitch pattern) for 4 to 6 inches before beginning to decrease, depending on the shape of the head it's intended for.   

6. You are about to begin decreasing. Count your stitches to make sure you have the same number you began with [C].
Divide C by 5 (or 6 - whichever it was evenly divisible by) and subtract 2 from the result. Call this number "D". "D" is the number of stitches you will knit between decreases.
So: D = [C divided by 5 (or 6)] - 2.
Say your "C" number is 96.  Then your calculation would be [96 divided by 6]-2=14. So in this case, D=14.

Work a decrease round: Knit D stitches, then knit 2 together (or whichever single decrease you prefer). Repeat to the end of your round.  The last decrease should take you to your marker.

Work the next round plain (without decreases).

Work another decrease round: Knit D -1 stitches (13, using our example), knit 2 together.  Continue decreasing in this way to the end of the round.

Knit one round plain

Alternate decrease rounds and plain rounds - reducing the number of stitches between the decreases by one stitch every time - until you have half of your original number of stitches [50% of C]. 

Now decrease every round until only 5 or 6 stitches remain.

7. Finish: break yarn and, using a blunt needle, thread it through the remaining stitch loops. Pull tight and bring yarn to inside.  Weave in end.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlMadchen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004 06:42:22 PM »

there is a great free beanie pattern over at chicknits.com - the 2 hour beanie knitted with colinette point 5. It's knitted flat, which is much easier for a beginner (in my opinion), is quick, and is a good shape. You can substitute a cheaper, thick yarn if you can get the right gauge...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten. com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 04:03:28 PM »

This is SO helpful!  I was knitting a beanie and got the initial cast on number correct but ended up decreasing too quickly and too much, and ruined the whole thing.  These are great directions and I intend to use them right away!!  Thanks!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy .com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply .etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Focal Length?
Understanding a Cameras Sensor Size
Shoot Better Video with Your Smartphone
Light Painting with Robot Vacuum Cleaners
Exporting Images for Time Lapse Video
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...