A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ambidextrous knitting?  (Read 1716 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aijay
« on: April 19, 2006 02:36:51 AM »

Is anybody out there an ambidextrous knitter?  I'm curious.  I've heard of people who, because they can knit both-handed, just knit back and forth on their needles without ever having the wrong side of the work facing them (i.e.  in stockinette they never purl).

I'm a lefty in general but I learned knitting years and years ago right-handedly, and so I've always knitted right-handed.  I'm thinking about investing the time to learn to knit left-handedly too, so that I can go back and forth, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it.  (I imagine it's going to take a LOT of time and practice to get the "new" hand to knit at the same tension as the "experienced" hand.)  I know that lots of lefties end up doing many tasks right-handedly just because tools and instructions kind of force them into it (scissors, etc), so I'm assuming that lefties knitting righty is probably a common phenomenon. 

Anyway, does anybody knit using both hands?  Do you have any advice?  Is it worth the time commitment to learn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

munchie
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006 02:43:39 AM »

I can do this. When I learnt to knit when I was kid  it annoyed me that only one arm did all the work and would hurt while the other was fine. So I just started knitting back and forth. Didn't even find out I was doing anything different until a year ago. Its handy since you don't have to purl, and I hate purling! if I ever do need to purl thats when i turn my work. But then again I'm also ambidextrous so maybe thats why it was so easy for me to do.
And I recall someone saying its called backwards knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortstuff411

Yarn Frog Princess and sometime Knittin' Kitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006 04:17:41 AM »

My granny-in-law can knit like this, according to my husband (who thought I was doing it wrong, cos I couldn't)  Roll Eyes

I'm a leftie who knits righthandedly too, in fact 4 out of 6 of us in my evening knitting group are too!!  Shocked

Would love to be able to knit back and forth, but think it could be quite tricky!!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have...
Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006 08:09:50 AM »

I taught myself to do it once while fooling around with yarn on a bus ride. Even though I can do it, I don't actually knit like that ever, since I don't find purling to be that much of a pain. However, if I ever try entrelac, you had better believe that I'm going to be knitting backwards!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nongshim
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006 08:20:53 AM »

I taught myself how to knit backwards from the big Vogue Knitting book. Because I am a nerd who thinks people care, I posted how to do it on my blog: http://www.yarnabuse.com/journal/2006/2/7/how-to-knit-bass-ackwards.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grrrlartist
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006 09:43:21 AM »

i'm a righty knitter and i'd like to learn this too - i kind of started to learn when i did my first two-color knitting project and i liked it but at the time didn't have the time to devote to making sure my tension was the same in both directions.  (it was a felting project so i wasn't really worried about it)

i have a friend who does this simply because she doesn't want to purl.  she is a very even knitter in both directions, and a relatively new knitter to boot!

i think it would definitely be worth the time to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dear mom, please send yarn.  and coffee.

http://grrrlartist-knits.blogspot.com

grrrlartist@yahoo.com
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006 04:54:57 PM »

Doesn't it twist the stitches or something? And if your left handed, by "right handed knitting" do you mean english? I taught myself both english and continental, but I teach people continental.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cnp71201
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006 10:17:14 PM »

I learned this using this tutorial:
http://oma57.tripod.com/ktbk.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
aijay
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006 02:19:40 AM »

tutorials with pictures!  thank you nongshim and cnp71201!  looks like this is definitely going on the summer vacation activities list.

Thesingingllamas, when I said "righty" I meant to indicate that the stitches move from the left hand needle to the right hand needle, whether you're picking or throwing, English or Continental.  So when someone knits really lefty (or backwards), they're knitting the whole thing mirror opposite, stitches moving from right to left (It can be a pain when reading a pattern).  The stitches won't twist unless you wrap the yarn the wrong way, regardless of the direction you're going.  I know lefties have better luck with Continental knitting in general, because it utilizes that hand more -- I myself knit with a weird mix of the two styles, having learned both.

I actually have a problem with my purl tension being much looser than my knitting tension, despite the many tweaks I've tried to correct the problem.  Maybe learning to knit back and forth might actually solve it....  such a nice, hopeful thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chimera
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006 08:23:22 AM »

I am right handed, but knit left handed. I taught myself to knit and it just seemed the logical way. I was not aware that I was knitting 'wrong' until someone said something to me at my knitting group. Oh well, I guess I'm just backwards.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Mem Fox
Tough Enough Book Trailer
What Will You Do in Your First Ballet Class
Deirdre Imus Talks About The Essential Green You
Christopher Rice Talks About the Moonlit Earth
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...