A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best type of yarn for amigurumi?  (Read 25666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tamara-loves-monkeys

Sock Monkey Love!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2006 09:28:12 PM »

I made my first little amigurumi animal, but it didn't come out that great. I used Lamb's Pride it is too fuzzy I think.

What do all you use for amigurumi?

One other question, I haven't crocheted much in a long time and was wondering ...

For amigurumi, do you go through back loop, front loop, or both loops?

Thank you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making stuff is good for you!
http://www.SockMonkey.net
serialdeviant
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006 09:52:26 PM »

I think a lot of people, myself included, use worsted weight. Which means the less fuzzy type. I use wool, I think a lot of people use acrylic. Being in China, I have no idea what the type of yarn I use is called, I only know the code numbers: 216 and 285.

Also... unless the instructions call for it, you go through both loops. That's how I do it, anyway. I live by trial and error.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bowtie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006 01:15:03 PM »

Definitely the non fuzzy type. I like Sugar n' Cream and some sport weight (smaller than worsted) yarn that I can't remember the brand of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I went to a restaurant, and I saw a guy wearing a leather jacket, eating a hamburger, drinking a glass of milk. I said, "Dude, you are a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I will tip you over." - Mitch Hedburg
IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006 08:35:29 PM »

I've made a few amigurumi and I just used worsted weight acrylic.  I like Caron's simply soft because it is actually soft. 

The Happy Hooker book has an amigurumi pattern where you do the rounds in the back loop and you get a cute line going around and around in the pattern.  I haven't made these though.  In my critters, I went through both loops.  Do whatever you prefer. 

I keep reading that one of the tricks is to keep your stitches snug! But not so tight that you pinch a nerve like one craftster crocheter did recently. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nanashi04
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006 09:17:11 PM »

I use a sport-weight 100% cotton.
I love cotton... it runs through my fingers so nicely. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm hungry.
http://nanashi04.livejournal.com/

I just got a big box of fat quarters... lotsa interesting stuff... always open to personal swaps! Wink
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006 06:40:15 AM »

Cheap is good. And easy to get, without having to drive across town to a LYS.  Cheesy Seriously, the cheap acrylic stuff seems to hold together & hold a shape better. Red Heart for instance. Altho I did my 1st couple of amis with some leftover Encore (wool blend) & it worked well to & was softer. Simply Soft is ok but for me it works up a little too loose. Maybe it's just the way I hold it but it seems a smaller gauge despite saying worsted on the label. Wintuk says worsted too but it seems to work up bigger, & feels thicker to me. JMO, YMMV.  Grin

And yes, go thru both loops. I didn't know either when I 1st started, & my 1st afghan is all thru back loops. It looks a bit weird but I still luv it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
hexella
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006 06:38:42 AM »

Hi everyone!! Smiley I just started to learn to crochet a 2 weeks ago (from a book), and my first planned project is to make a  stuffed mushroom. Just wanted to know what's type of yarn is most appropriate to make amigurumis? Thanks. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chloe_hippy
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006 07:14:06 AM »

a lot of people use red heart or other suitable cheap yarn, just make sure you use a smaller hook then reccomended cause everywhere i have seen tips on making amigurumi say make it tight so that the stuffing doesn't show through.

Hope that helps.

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bixby2
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006 09:30:12 AM »

Acrylic yarn is best for Amigurumi.  Red Heart, Caron, or whatever is cheapest.  Use an E/4 (3.5mm) hook to make the tightest stitches you can.  The tight stitches will help the toy hold its shape.  loose stitches will stretch and your toy will start to go all wonky and the stuffing will show
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
rude-girl72
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006 10:07:08 AM »

I think cotton is the best for making amigurumi. and a smaller hook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Reverse French Manicure For Prom
How to Create the Perfect Cat-Eye on the Fly
How to Get the Flushed Cheeks Look
How to Get a Natural Sun-Kissed Glow
Try a Cat-Eye with a Fuchsia Lip on Prom Night
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...