A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pollenation  (Read 2513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

merwing

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2006 05:17:26 PM »

my latest embroidery... can you tell I'm loving spring? Wink
I stretched this one on a canvas frame. I think I like that better than framing it behind glass. it can breathe this way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006 05:53:02 PM »

great idea.. with stretching it like canvas...i feel springy now thanks for the great work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
meredithy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006 08:52:55 PM »

very lovely. your projects always feel light and airy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyPop
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 09:37:13 AM »

Beautiful. I have to sneeze just looking at it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lostinthesparks
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006 05:16:29 PM »

i really like the idea of the canvas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radal16
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006 05:49:32 AM »

Ooh, I really like it.  Makes me think of my lettuce that just sprouted...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Liberty23
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006 01:42:12 PM »

Merwing, did you use any special techniques or did you stretch this like a normal paint canvas?  I'd like to do something similar but I'm worried about yanking out stitching in the stretching. 

Great job, I just love your style and everything you've posted, for this piece I just really like the colors and the composition, excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mary Bell
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006 04:34:39 AM »

I like the lush, over-zealous growth of spring - excitement in vegetation - somehow this makes me think of how my front yard flower garden ends up lookin in August (extremely overgrown but without weeds - just crazy flowers) perhaps because they seem to think just like this in the spring...

okay it is wierd to talk about plants that way, I know... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006 09:23:44 AM »

I just love your stuff. Always. You are an incredible artist
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadRedhead
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006 09:44:46 PM »

That is a wonderful idea! Inspiring, for sure. Did you stretch it before or after? Could one stitch  directly on a canvas, just by itself? I'm not too familiar with such things.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 09:48:53 PM by DeadRedhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
merwing

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006 06:39:45 AM »

thanks for the comments!! I stretched this after I was done embroidering, no special techniques or anything. It's probably not stretched as tightly as a paint canvas would be, just enough to keep it smooth but not pull the fabric out of shape.
I started by cutting a peice of white matte board the same size as the frame, to put behind the embroidery to cut down on light shining through the back. then I just put the frame in place, and started stretching and stapleing. I put two staples on one side, then two on the opposite side, then the other two sides, trying to keep the fabric smooth and tight. then I went back and put a bunch more staples in just to hold it secure. at the corners I sort of folded one side under then the other on top of it. if it would help, I could post a picture of the back side.
you probably could stitch right onto a canvas, but I think it would be much harder to get the needle through than a regular fabric. maybe if it wasn't gessoed/primed it would be easier. normally ready made canvases are though.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006 09:18:03 AM »

That's beautiful, I love that it's stretched, gives it such a unique look, I may have to do that one time.

As for stitching on canvas...I guess you could, I've never tried.  You might go through quite a bit of needles...and you'd definitely need a thimble.  I've stitched cardboard. It was hard, but possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpie
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006 11:49:21 AM »

I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan of your embroidery.  I snuck on over to dreamfollow and checked out your other pieces.  Your designs are just so beautiful and surreal....and your color choices are just lovely.  Have you ever considered publishing patterns? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
godels_truth

"Man, You way too happy to sing the Blues."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006 07:20:09 PM »

you probably could stitch right onto a canvas, but I think it would be much harder to get the needle through than a regular fabric. maybe if it wasn't gessoed/primed it would be easier. normally ready made canvases are though.  Smiley

My first reaction was to think that stitching primed canvas would be an exceptionally bad idea.  But the idea keeps bouncing around in my brain, and now I'm thinking that adding stitches to a painting would be incredibly cool. 

It'd be impossible to stitch near the edges, so it would have to be a central part of the piece, not just added texture.  Hrm...  so many possibilities...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynbird22

Itchin' stitchin' fingers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006 04:48:40 PM »

Stitching on heavyweight canvas can be done, but you must have the following:
1) Infinite patience
2) Economy pack of needles
3) Leather quilter's thimbles (your fingers will still hurt, but this way, your thumb and index fingers won't actually bleed.)

I tried to do some fancy embroidery on a pre-made canvas tote (like they sell at Wal-Mart, Micheals, Hobby-Lobby, etc.) and it was needleworkers' hell. Broken needles, broken skin and hours with a seam ripper.

Good luck, ye brave souls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynbird: making mothers nervous, since 1983.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fresh Chicken Stock
How To Make Chicken Fingers
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...