A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Suddenly Remembered I Have a Sewing Machine in My Dorm Room.  (Read 5572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QueenofSporks
« on: April 17, 2006 08:52:28 PM »

Sometime last week I remembered that I did bring my sewing machine to college, and I in fact know how to use it. Who would have figured?

I go to a science and technology school (Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Go geeks! er...) so unfortunately there is little outlet for my random fits of craftiness. I dragged my roommate to Joann's a few times this week (she is not a happy camper. There's only so many hours she can spend looking at the pattern catalogues before she tries to murder me) and these are the fruits of neurotic 3am sewing.

It holds mentioning that I rarely sew before 11pm, and keep going until around 4 am. This results in many sewing mishaps, such as SEWING THINGS INSIDE OUT. My seam-ripper and I are getting to know each other very well. We're almost on a first-name basis.

The first thing I did was take this big sweatshirt I have and alter it to be smaller.

Original sweatshirt and model sweatshirt:

Excuse the crappy image quality. I don't know why my camera all of a sudden hates me.

New, smaller sweatshirt held by a friend (you get a cookie if you know what artist is on the sweatshirt).

I made this skirt using a pattern. If I knew where the envelope was, I'd tell you what number. I like it, but I wish it was more foofy.

I really like the fabric, I got it on clearance at Joann's. Here's a close-up:

I made this skirt by altering the above skirt pattern. I am ashamed to admit it took me longer to turn the drawstring than it did to sew the entire skirt.

I used Simplicity pattern 5003 to make this tank top. Unfortunately, the pattern is irrational. Much altering ensued, and I turned it into a halter top and put a zipper in.

Laptop case for my roommate (erm. Not clothing, but sewed?)

Sewing in the velcro was a lot more painful than I remembered it being. It kept breaking the thread and covered the needle in adhesive. It was at this point that I realized that I didn't have a single new machine needle. Eep.

Aaaand, for your amusement, this is where I sew. I sit on the floor, cross-legged, and press the foot with my knee. Yeah. Don't ask.

My mommy would be so proud of the state of my room. Shhh, dresser drawers make excellent shelves.

So this has been keeping me busy in the middle of the night. When I'm not writing lab reports or chasing horseshoe crabs around.

Laura

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006 09:07:39 PM by QueenofSporks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhymewithorange

chemists do it with models

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006 08:58:13 PM »

Love the skirt! If you find the pattern # let me know   Wink

And your sewing 'desk' is awesome...oh, dorm life, haha.

And just so you know you're pics are working...they are just links. Or at least they were for me, but my computer has been all crazy all night...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenofSporks
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006 09:03:47 PM »

Oh, curses.

I think it's better, now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abstractlady
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006 09:09:36 PM »

thats hilarious. you sew with your knee! haha. good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenofSporks
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006 09:12:09 PM »

Found the envelope. The first skirt is "New Look" 6495.

If you do make it, keep in mind they consider the skirt to sit at your natural waist, which no one does, so keep that in mind when you cut the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006 09:15:43 PM »

Cheesy your room looks like mine, although i have an extra desk so i don't have to sit on the floor to sew... hmm i think this is an excellent time to sew that sundress i wanted... right before finals  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006 09:28:39 PM »

New, smaller sweatshirt held by a friend (you get a cookie if you know what artist is on the sweatshirt).

oh, oh, is it keith haring? i love his style. and i love cooookies! i also really love the pink flower fabric. nice bargain find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenofSporks
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006 09:31:39 PM »

oh, oh, is it keith haring? i love his style. and i love cooookies! i also really love the pink flower fabric. nice bargain find!

::hands cookie::

I have a giant poster of his "Retrospect, 1989" on my wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitem

For Narnia, and for Aslan!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006 09:45:20 PM »

Your clothes are so cute.  I too just remembered my sewing machine last week.  And because my room looks like yours, i have to sew in the floor, but luckily the sewing machcine my dad bought for me has this start stop button so you can do everything without a foot pedal.  It is the most amazing button, i will never buy a machine without one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
singininmyundies
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006 10:11:48 PM »

GAH! I love Keith Haring! He is my idol...and I also love the fabric and the stuff you made! Those are so cute!

P.S. I too sit on the floor, and sometimes use my knee....but lately I've been using my elbow......Even more confusing than using a knee.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Light a Macro Shoot
Comparison Between Abstract and Pictorial Photography
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...