A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calista's Alexander McQueen Knockoff Sweater  (Read 27297 times)
Tags for this thread: alexander_mcqueen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

landry
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2006 06:06:12 PM »

Wow!! It came out beautiful!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
cnp71201
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2006 06:24:46 PM »

That is really beautiful, and I love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
nosyred
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2006 07:28:23 PM »

thanks for the tips, almndladybug.  I've checked knitpicks, and I think the andean treasure is still a little pricier than I want to go -- if I only needed a ball or two, that'd be one thing, but 9 balls makes the price (almost) prohibitive.  I'm thinking about knitpicks telemark, though.  has anyone used that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

almndladybug
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2006 03:18:45 AM »

Thanks Landry and CNP and Nosy.  The color really is very beautiful and the photo doesn't do it's a rich and vibrant purple without being too in your face or dark. It has some nice "heathering" elements to it too.  Plus the Andean Treasure is soft as anything, it does itch my skin a bit but not much (I have incredibly sensitive skin w/natural fibers)

I haven't used Telemark at all,  but I would think anything that gets gauge would be good. My sweater fits next to the skin, so I'm glad I made it with Alpaca and it has some "stretch" to it. I think it depends what's in your budget and what you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
almndladybug
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2006 01:13:57 PM »

I just typed up my notes for knitting in the round and sent them to Calista. Once and if I get the okay to post them I'll post them here or we'll hear from Calista about them. Either way, hopefully they'll be passed on to those working or thinking about making the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calista
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2006 07:01:38 PM »

almndladybug, I love yours! I also considered purple at first, but I chose grey, because I wanted to make it as close as the original. I agree with your comment that it fits much better the second time. It takes a little while for the neckline stretch out a little, so that it slip down naturally.
About the required amount of yarns---The yarn estimation includes about 2/3 ball to make flowers. You can adjust the amount of the yarns, depending on your decision on the numbers and sizes of the flowers.

(I sent you reply message, btw.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

almndladybug
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2006 01:30:13 PM »

Hi all,

Calista gave me the okay to post my notes here so here goes:  PM me if you have any questions.

Knit in round...

CO 176 (184, 196, 204) sts. Join in the round for knitting PM  at beginning of round.  Knit in 2x2 rib starting with k2 p2 (I did p2 k2 but it didn't seem tomake a difference).  PM after 88, (92, 98, 102) sts. Work in 2x2 rib to end of round. Repeat 22x more (w/out the PM of course).  Switch to size 5 needles

Follow row 1 from Calista's instructions. After this row things are going to change because you aren't knitting back and forth. With knitting in the round on the WS you will do the opposite of what the directions call for the WS call for. Basically, 99 % of the time you will K and K stitch and P a P stitch, the only exceptions are after some of the cables. The 2nd marker will serve as the distinction between side 1 and side 2 of the bodice, so when decreasing or increasing use that as a guide.

For the K2tog and k2togtbl stitches instead you will P2tog and P2tog tbl, P2tog where you are instructed to K2tog etc.  Instead of doing a M1, I did a M1P, basically instead of lifting the bar between the stitches from back to front, I lifted it from front to back w/the left needle and then P tbl:d the stitch.

Continue pattern as instructed until the bind off for the arms.  On the armhole bind off row knit the entire row in the round for both sides of the sweater. Break yarn after this row.  Reattach yarn to knit 1 side of the bodice. Follow directions for decreasing according to Calista's directions, at this point you are no longer knitting in the round, once you work across the one row for side 1, slip side 2's sts to a st holder or spare yarn. Or, if you're anything like me, attach another ball of yarn and work across side 2. The only problem with this way is that you have to pay attention to which way you are going so you don't get off on the row count.   BO 60 (64, 68, 72) sts.

I knit the sleeves back and forth instead of in the round, but to knit them in the round, using set of 4-5 size 3 dpns, CO required sts, PM at beginning of round.  Begin working in the round dividing stitches between 3-4 needles (make sure there are an even number for the 2x2 ribbing). After the ribbing switch to 4-5 size 5 dpns. Continue as with the bodice (for doing sts K the Ks, P the Ps) and follow the same sleeve BO directions, reattach yarn and decrease for the armhole shaping. BO 30 (32, 32, 32) sts loosely. 

Sew sleeves to bodice as calista directs and sew the armhole bind off sts together making sure to leave no holes.

Continue as instructed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2006 11:55:06 AM »

ahhh, my knitpicks package finally came, and I"m glad I sprung for the fancy-dancy alpaca.  it feels gorgeous.  now I just need to devote more time to learning how to read charts . . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nosyred
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2006 09:01:47 AM »

I've never cabled from a pattern before, and I need to know: is the background essentially purled (by "background" I mean the area between cables) or knit?  I'm very very confused!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calista
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2006 11:25:11 AM »

I've never cabled from a pattern before, and I need to know: is the background essentially purled (by "background" I mean the area between cables) or knit?  I'm very very confused!

nosyred, the "background" is purled from the RS and knitted from the WS. Only the cable patterns are knitted from the RS, and purled from the WS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make The Flash Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Spiderman Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Superman Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Wonder Woman Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shots
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...