A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling your crafts at a garage/yard sale?  (Read 4186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lrschic
« on: July 09, 2004 12:01:01 PM »

Hey craftsters... I was just thinking that I would like to have a summer yard and craft sale. Anybody ever done this before? Tips? Anyone think I should not have one? Comments? Thanks!
-Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."~ Roald Dahl

My website: www.craftemagee.com
gwensmom
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004 04:25:40 PM »

It has been my experience with yard sales that people are looking for bargain basement prices and won't pay what your crafts are worth.

You could round up some of your friends and have a mini craft fair or house party.  Some people I know do this as a house party around the holidays.  they send inexpensive postcard invitiations to everyone they know and have an all day open house- sort of like Mary Kay sales people do. 

Actually, some Mary Kay sales people invite other vendors to set up at their open houses and split the expense.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005 06:42:08 PM »

I didn't think this should go in the business part, but maybe it does.

Anyway... my parents are having a garage sale like they do every year and I was going though my boxes to see what I have to get rid of and I came upon some of my purses/bags/totes, yarn and felt flower pins and other items. I was thinking of selling them at the garage sale but I was wondering. Do you think people would buy crafty items like that at a garage sale? I know people go to garage sale looking for deals and I'm not really looking to make money off of these things, but still...

I know that when I go to garage sales some people have some of their crafty items for sale, but they just arent my taste (old grandma like, way country/cutesy) other wise I would buy. Maybe its just me.

So, would you guys buy something like that at a garage sale?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
LRS
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 06:51:19 PM »

The problem with selling at a garage sale is that buyers expect really low prices.  You might try an experiment.  Set up a table a little apart - put up a sign or somehow make it clear that this is different from the garage sale "Krysta's Hand Crafts" or something.

Put decent prices on your items and see what happens.  Don't get your expectations up, and don't let anyone buy things for $1 if you think it's worth $10.  If they start to haggle, just say "Oh, this isn't part of the garage sale. My handmade items are at fixed prices." 

I think it's mostly a matter of luck whether you sell anything.  You're right - a lot of garage sale shoppers are looking for knick-knack and "cute" things.  But it can't hurt to try.

LRS

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
tinsil74
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 07:24:48 PM »

We recently had a yardsale and I tried to sell some of my stuff...mainly hats, purses, and homemade paper.  I sold nothing, but I did get alot of compliments.  I would suggest that before you have your garage sale, you should make business cards.  Alot of times people don't bring alot of money to garage sales, but if they're interested in your stuff, they'll be able to contact you later. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 09:10:38 PM »

The problem with selling at a garage sale is that buyers expect really low prices.  You might try an experiment.  Set up a table a little apart - put up a sign or somehow make it clear that this is different from the garage sale "Krysta's Hand Crafts" or something.

Put decent prices on your items and see what happens.  Don't get your expectations up, and don't let anyone buy things for $1 if you think it's worth $10.  If they start to haggle, just say "Oh, this isn't part of the garage sale. My handmade items are at fixed prices." 

I think it's mostly a matter of luck whether you sell anything.  You're right - a lot of garage sale shoppers are looking for knick-knack and "cute" things.  But it can't hurt to try.

LRS

Yeah, I was thinking about if I were to do that I would set it up like craft faire style - table cloths and signs and organized nicely and have it near the till so I can keep an eye on it, I wont be disappointed if I don't sell anything though because I know what it's like at garage sales.

We recently had a yardsale and I tried to sell some of my stuff...mainly hats, purses, and homemade paper.  I sold nothing, but I did get alot of compliments.  I would suggest that before you have your garage sale, you should make business cards.  Alot of times people don't bring alot of money to garage sales, but if they're interested in your stuff, they'll be able to contact you later. 

Business cards are an awesome idea, even if I print them from my computer I could still hand them out with my email address and stuff on them... hmm... thanks for the idea!

This is gonna sound pretty... er I dunno not conceited or anything but when people know that my parents are having a garage sale they tend to come early and bring a lot of money -  been like this for YEARS, for as long as I can remember. We've even had people come the WEDNESDAY before we are even starting to organize things to look at things. Sheesh. Anyway thanks again for the idea about the business cards! Sorry to hear that you didn't sell any of your items. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
CraftinMyAssOff

~Crafty Goddess~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 09:21:57 PM »

i'm planning on trying to sell some of my handmade items this saturday at a yard sale. i was going to put my business cards out and everything, even a little book that has stuff in i made already but not selling.

I'll let you know how it goes.  i'm not really expecting to sell much/anything, people around here tend to be cheap LOL

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I NEED shrinky dink straight pins for my sewing.  Can anyone help me? lol.

If anyone can make me a Chihuahua stuffie pincushion, I'd love u 4EVER !!
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005 09:35:20 PM »

i'm planning on trying to sell some of my handmade items this saturday at a yard sale. i was going to put my business cards out and everything, even a little book that has stuff in i made already but not selling.

I'll let you know how it goes.  i'm not really expecting to sell much/anything, people around here tend to be cheap LOL

Cheesy

haha I know, I can be one of the cheap ones. Wink Let me know how it goes! My yard sale wont be until August 5/6/7th weekend - whichever one of those days happens to be the Saturday.

And I just gotta say, I love your username!! Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AstroZombie
Cryptozoologist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005 10:58:15 PM »

If you put a listing in the newspaper for your garage sale, you could also mention that you will be selling crafts. Then people might come just for that, or at least understand that the crafts will be seperate. But it sounds like you'll have no problem getting a crowd there so I'm sure you'll have some luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftinMyAssOff

~Crafty Goddess~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005 06:10:36 AM »

And I just gotta say, I love your username!!   Cheesy Cheesy

thank you!  Me too, LOL.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I NEED shrinky dink straight pins for my sewing.  Can anyone help me? lol.

If anyone can make me a Chihuahua stuffie pincushion, I'd love u 4EVER !!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Drew a Picture Book
Superhero Origins: Havok
The Origins of Popeye
The Origins of Optimus Prime
An Interview With Comic Book Artist Tim Sale
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...