A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vinyl Wristlet and Totebag  (Read 1903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shh
« on: April 17, 2006 12:30:41 PM »

I've been thinking about getting into the handmade bag business and even though these are just my first attempts (my stitchwork needs some improvement), I was wondering what the lovely crafsters here thought of them. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated (unless it's really mean...).

I made this wristlet with navy and white vinyl and a bird patterened cotton lining. It has a single cell phone pocket and zipper closure.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags020b.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags021b.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags004b.jpg

This totebag is made with a heavy pink cotton and white vinyl applique with a black and white checkered cotton lining. It has a double pocket. I should have added interfacing because it's really floppy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags014b.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags016b.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/dancebangfaint/bags018b.jpg

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011 10:01:10 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006 01:14:59 PM »

i am in love with that skull purse! you did a wonderful job on both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006 05:06:33 PM »

I love your skull purse! So awesome! It's very cute too.  Is it a hatched egg on your wristlet (that looks very professional btw!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006 05:10:20 PM »

are you using a roller foot or a teflon foot for the vinyl stitching? I have order one of each for my machine because I just want to sew on it all the time but have been unhappy with the sticking the way it does. I'm hoping this will help me.
Best of luck with your endeavors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shh
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006 08:54:26 AM »

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

The foot that I use is when stitching vinyl is actually just a regular one, but I also have the sticking problem when I try to stichy vinyl right sides out. I didn't even know there were other types of foots (making it even more obvious that I'm a total newb). The sticking is a real bitch, so what I've been doing is stitching through wax paper. it's really not that great of a solution though, since sometimes the thread is pulled out when I tear the paper off.

I'm definitely going to head to Fabricland and investigate. Anything that will make working with vinyl easier is more than welcome in my pursemaking! Let me know how you make out with those feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ASH903208
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006 07:46:01 PM »

the skull bag is awesome!

I too reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to get into the handmade bag business!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:.*dental assistants do it orally*.:.
junquette

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006 09:22:58 AM »

I would think that the wax paper might cause it to stick as well. What I have used is old patterns tissue paper. It does help but I can't wait for my other one to come in. I am not sure fabricland would carry this type of thing. I ordered mine through a sewing machine sales shop. Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shh
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006 02:32:55 PM »

So I went to a sewing store yesterday and the lady working there told me that it would be really difficult to find a teflon foot for the machine I'm using (it's from 1972) and that I could instead go to Home Depot and get teflon tape (it was only about .64 cents) and put it on the bottom of any pressure foot.

I tried it and it worked really well. The tape needs to be reapplied after you're done a project because it does start to flake off after a while, but there is lots on the roll. I'm so happy with it, though! The topstitching on my vinyl is now 100% better - every stitch is even!

If you don't have the money for a new pressure foot or anywhere to get one, teflon tape is AMAZING.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006 07:08:30 PM »

wow that is so cool! Thanks for that info. Now I'm kind of committed to buy the foot now since it was ordered but I'm going to try the tape too! No one suggested that to me where I shop! YOu had a great sales person there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dejavugirl
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006 07:05:47 AM »

Wow oh wow, thanks so much for the info about teflon tape.  I am definitely going to try it!  I made one item where I had to topstitch on vinyl and it did NOT come out so great. 

I put away the rest of the vinyl that I had bought until I could afford a teflon foot.  But I think we have some teflon tape around here from last year's plumbing fiasco...er I mean the wonderful plumbing job my hubby did...  (well it turned out wonderful in the end...)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009 10:42:46 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add titles in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Make an Animated Emoticon with Adobe Photoshop
How to Outline your Fonts in Illustrator
How to Embed Images into Adobe Illustrator CS
Split Toning in Photoshop - Video Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...