A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ballet Top from Loop-D-Loop  (Read 789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MarIce
« on: April 16, 2006 02:39:30 PM »

I made one of these out of Knit Picks Shine Worsted but it was way too bulky for my liking. How would I have to modify the pattern in order to use only one skein of worsted weight yarn as opposed to the required two at a time?

I just frogged the whole shirt so I'm ready to start again LOL

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~M
chromaphile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006 07:32:26 PM »

Hey MarIce,
I love my ballet T but have also been wondering the same thing. I'm a bit new at knitting so terrified to try, but thought I might just find a needle/yarn combo that came out at half the guage and double the # of stiches, rows and and increases? Am I oversimplifying?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006 08:17:08 PM »

The great thing about top-down raglans is you can easily modify them to fit any gauge.  I knit my Ballet Tee on size 10.5 needles with one strand of Noro Silk Garden.  You just use proportions (it's simple math, I promise).  I'll give you an example using made-up numbers.  PM me if you want me to help you through it with the real numbers; I just don't want to make it too easy for anyone to figure out this pattern without having bought the book.

Let's say the gauge in the book is 5st/5rows = 1".  The front and back sections each have 30 stitches from the initial cast on, and the sleeve sections each have 10.  (You figure this out where it says something like, "K30, pm, k10, pm, k30, pm, k10, pm.")  This means that at a gauge of 5st = 1", 30 stitches for the front/back equals 6".  10 stitches for the sleeve equals 2".  Now, with your gauge, you just need to figure out how many stitches it takes to get 6" and 2".  If your gauge is more like 8st = 1", then you'll know you need to do 48 stitches for the front and back each, and 16 stitches for each sleeve (giving you a total of 128 stitches to cast on).  Then you just proceed as written. 

For the decreases and increases in the body, you can figure out where they should go using the same math.  Or, you can do what I did, and try the sweater on as you go and then figure it out from there.

I hope that was clear.  If not, feel free to ask.  Like I said, if you want help with the actual numbers (the book gauge versus your gauge), PM me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarIce
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006 03:34:12 AM »

Kerry

Thanks so much! My brain is spinning but it's only 630 am and haven't managed to get a cup of coffee in me.
I'll figure out what my gauge will be and see if I can work up the numbers:) Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~M
chromaphile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006 04:41:41 AM »

Thanks Kerry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie Dye a Spiral Effect
How to Do a Dip Dye Effect
How to Tie Dye Baby Clothes with Vegetable Dye
How to Apply Colours To Silk Scarf
How to Decorate a Glass Vase
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...