A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric advice for my raggedy quilt  (Read 846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« on: April 16, 2006 10:42:09 AM »

Hi! I want to make a lap quilt for me and I'm having trouble with my fabric choices. The whole back of the quilt will be light blue so I sort of wanted the front to match it. Well, here is what I am working with now

the front fabrics

fabric for the back. I wanted it in all one color and this is the only stuff I have at the moment

I just wanted to know if any of these went with the other stuff I had to go on the front of the blanket

What do you think about these fabrics?

It isn't mostly blue but it has blue in it. Do you think I could throw this in too?

Same thing for these too.

it is mostly blue but my friend said that it looked too old fashioned or something, oh and it used to be a curtain so it is a bit faded in some places

Thanks for your help Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006 07:51:22 PM by verycrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006 11:26:38 AM »

The frogs and what's next to it may be a go if you don't mind more colors with the blue, but not the rest of the fabrics, if you want an overall blue impression. I'm strict about these things though, so I think you'll get a lot of agreement on the footbally ones to mix it up (but they will still be green/yellow and not blue)

I think those beneath the frogs are a definite nono (in my opinion) since they're the wrong shade - they're so dull in comparison to your bold blue. The stellar one might be bad too since it's too dull in comparison, but that can be nice as well if you like that sort of thing. Smiley

However, I'm not an experienced quilter mind you. I'm just giving you my personal thoughts. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
yosemitequilter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 10:10:49 AM »

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth: I think the first two fabrics are a very fine addition to your current selections. I don't think the next three are very cohesive with the others, however -- too pastel, and a much different palette. I think the next fabric (that with the blue "footballs") would be a very nice addition - the blue is the right shade, and it would provide a nice accent to your other fabrics. The celestial print is not a great match - I would save that for another project. Be sure to share your final selections and finished project with us!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 05:32:51 PM »

It's really hard to tell seeing them all in different photos but I'll tell you what I do:
I lay all of the different fabrics out and arrange them in a way I think they will work and then I walk away for a while. After you look again with fresh eyes whatever doesn't work will usually jump out at you right away. I repeat this process until I either get it right or sometimes I find that one certain fabric just won't go anywhere and remove it. It takes time unfortunately.
It's so funny that I saw this post because I am laying out some pieces for a quilted bag and I am in the "walk away" part of the process as I type.
Good luck and keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006 07:30:48 PM »

Well the idea of a cool cool quilt is appealing to me-I would use the yellow/green prints as accents to the blue pieces you already have.

The second and last photos of options are of fabrics that are muted. Though they go better with the muted backing blue, they would not work with the brights you have chosen for the front. The green/yellow prints are brights as well and would accent nicely. The blues will recede and yellows pop a bit. That will break up possible monotony and, provided the yellows are used as accents, not interfere with a mostly blue look. This is guesswork though without knowing what pattern you are going to use.

The frog print may work, but I do not like that it has such a variety of colour in it and seems to be fairly large scale. often when cut up, these pieces may not read blue at all, but green, red, orange etc. It may work if you went with a blue/red-orange scheme (in which case I would also add the piece of what seems to be scooby doo fabric). I would not use it if I were going to use the green/yellows (unless you are willing to fussy cut and use only green/blue sections.). That would be an either/or decision for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006 07:37:58 PM »

Thanks! I've gotten some more fabric since then so I will post those to see what y'all think when I get atteries for my camera
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Fashion Trends: Jackets And Blazers
4 Unexpected Ways to Wear Plaid
The Perfect Presents to Please Any Stylish Mom
The Right Fit: There Is A Bra For Every Body
How to Rock the Trench Coat Trend for Fall 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...