A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freecycle  (Read 2019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2004 07:20:10 AM »

Hi!  One of my sisters sent this link to me the other day, and it looks very cool.  It's probably already been discussed on here, but hey, it deserves to be mentioned again.

http://www.freecycle.org/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
specialk32926
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004 09:55:38 AM »

Smiley  I AM CO-MODERATOR OF OUR LOCAL FREECYCLE GROUP IN FLORIDA. THIS IS A GREAT PROGRAM TO RECYCLE THINGS YOU NO LONGER NEED. NO SELLING OR TRADING...EVERYTHIN G IS FREE. YOU CAN OFFER ITEMS OR POST WANTED FOR ITEMS YOU ARE IN NEED OF. CHECK IT OUT IT IS A GREAT IDEA.

***KAREN IN FLORIDA***
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladygoat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004 04:35:40 PM »

I love Freecycle!  It's a great group. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melenajade
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007 01:11:58 PM »

I use freecycle!
For all you crafters out there, post an offer of scrap yarn or if you need to grow your stash just say so!
Free yarn! whats not to love?

Plus I get a lot of free books and DVDs to send to Iraq where my brother is stationed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Candreya
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007 09:06:52 PM »

Freecycle is great, BUT BUT BUT, remember when you reply to someone's offer, to double-check if its working or broken. Some people say in their main post its broken, some "forget", then tell you in a later email or you find out when you get it home. I'm in all our local freecycles, its definitely great! But, there are still people who don't tell you everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007 09:41:44 PM »

I have tried to join my local freecycle several times.  You get to their page and it says to send an email requesting you be added.  I send the email, I never get a reply.  Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Candreya
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007 08:16:18 AM »

Karen,
  Since the groups are ran by "real" people, sometimes it does take a couple days for your request to go threw to be joined in the group. Don't send another quest, and give it about a day or 2 maybe, I had to wait 3 days once to join one of our freecycle groups. I'm not sure if there's a way to look for the moderator for your group either so you may have to just wait Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearlescent
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007 08:53:17 AM »

I LOVE Freecycle, I got my enameling kiln with a huge box of blanks and enameling powders from there along with a whole 3 draws of card craft stuff... trouble is... I'm addicted to the thing now and my boyfriend bans me from it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007 04:18:45 PM »

Candreya - Thanks for the info.  I figured it was something like that.  But this person never answers.  I've waited 6 months or more in between requests and I've never heard anything back. 

I thought maybe I wasn't saying the right thing in my email, because they ask you to tell them why you want to join.  I thought maybe there was a trick to answering that question that I was somehow missing.  I've just been saying that I live in the local area and am interested in recycleing.

Do you think it would help if I told them that I am a "professional" crafter who uses recycled items in my art?  (I just started selling some of my stuff through a local gallery.)

Note to Moderator -I don't want to break rules, if this sounds like advertising or anything not allowed, please remove it.  I am not posting here with any intent to sell - I only intend to sell locally through commercial outlets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Candreya
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007 10:37:40 AM »

Karen,
  Not sure, maybe see if there's a way to contact another moderator? Sometimes for big cities there are more then 1 moderators. I haven't had to wait that long before to join a freecycle. Nah, that question isn't a trick question, its just so they can know where you heard from the group. I just said I heart about it from friends and family. Which is the truth. I hope you can join yours soon. Maybe even if you know someone who is already in it, see if they won't mind trying to get the moderator's email address for you so you can email them and ask whats going on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a Shadow and Adding a Logo
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Illustrator® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Photoshop® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Guides Using the Line Tool
Adobe Illustrator CS2 - How to Open Files from Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...