A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ARCHON: black lace back top with puffy DRAGON WINGS, shiny pvc, lightly boned :D  (Read 5048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 15, 2006 01:56:19 PM »

Here's a tank top I modified..
I made little stuffed, puffy dragon/bat wings and attached them to the back.
The back has plastic boning to keep shape with laced up.  You can't adjust the lacing on this, because I sewed on the wings, but it was planned this way.

I am not sure what to do with the front to made it as spiffy as the back.  Right now its just a plain, black, tank top.. no real excitement.  Perhaps I will add a couple of D-rings to match the back, maybe reconstruct the straps or add some decorative straps of sorts to the torso..  any ideas?  Maybe it doesn't need anything...

This top with dragon wings was inspired by a sci-fi story a friend came up with.

It's really tricky to sew the PVC fabric.. I used some wax paper over the foot, but then I couldn't really see where I was going and I made some mistakes, which you can't really hide with this type of fabric.  Does anyone have any tips for working with PVC or other sticky-ish fabrics?  I heard about a special foot, but no details.. any tips welcome!  Thankyou!  Cheesy

Comments welcome!
Thanks for looking.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011 07:17:27 PM by platinumrexx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

white trash hero
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006 02:10:06 PM »

ooo very kinky! lol
but awesome and original.. erm with pvc and stuff you could try using a different needle on your machine to make it smoother and make the dog teeth not be so harsh i guess...
but i just posted to say how aweosme that is really.! Grin
lady luck
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006 02:11:11 PM »

that's really fun!  there's nothing wrong with leaving the front unadorned, but you could always take a long shiny black satin ribbon and sew it in a squiggly pattern across the front... or lace it up corset-style like the back... or maybe little rivets along the neckline....

Just ideas.  ^_^  nicely made.

Razor Blame

She likes disco and tastes like a tear.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006 02:45:12 PM »

Wow I've never seen anything like that before! good job with trying to sew with different materials I wish I could offer some help but I haven't the slightest idea what would make it easier.

Fabric - It's only an addiction

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006 02:54:22 PM »

I would think that using a teflon-coated foot would make sewing with PVC easier, they are designed for use with precisely that sort of material. They are also easily found online, and probably in your local sewing machine shop.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 03:01:19 PM »

If you aren't sick of sewing the PVC, I think it would extremely cute with a matching skirt, or you could find fabric to match the shirt fabric and extend it into a dres and wear it with PVC boots. If you know how to stencil you can put some wording on the front  Smiley Or you could even make it less low cut by filling in some of the neckline with more PVC if you still have some.

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006 03:29:24 PM »

teflon foots/non stick foots are generally recommended for sewing pvc- as well as using paper clips to pin it. Also I've heard of leather needles and ball needles both being recommended.. I personally like the leather needles though.

That being said, WOW. this is incredible! nice work!

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006 05:55:05 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions!  I think I'm going to sketch up a few ideas that I'm getting for the front.

I am definitely going to look for a non-stick foot for my machine.  I'm too in love with PVC to let it go that easily!

-runs off in search of new foot-

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006 05:58:55 PM »

My husband just walked inside the door and said "What the hell is that?! Its so freakin cool!"  He's hard to rattle so this must be really good!   Grin

Guess who's back?
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006 06:09:50 PM »

My husband just walked inside the door and said "What the hell is that?! Its so freakin cool!"  He's hard to rattle so this must be really good!   Grin

hahahaha   Cheesy

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...