A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress help with pics.  (Read 614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2006 11:51:20 AM »

I finally got the pitures going.  I received this wonderful dress for Valentine's day, but the waist is much higher than my actualy waist and it's uncomfortable, and the bodice is a bit too tight.  It's from a vintage store with no return policy.  It would be lovely if it fit right.  What can I do?  Embarrassed

Here is the dress from the front.

My hands are on my true waist.

From the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtletrbl
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006 12:05:09 PM »

Would the bodice fit okay if you made it strapless?  It looks like most of the tightness is around the armholes and the bosom.  Taking the straps off would also drop the top down a little and help with the short waist. 

Sorry, no help otherwise....but it is a lovely color on you!  Oh wait, another possibility might be to take apart the bodice and skirt and put a waistband on the skirt, wear them as separates.  I did that with someone's vintage prom dress in high school (I'm bizarrely long-waisted). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006 12:06:28 PM »

your hands are at your PREFERRED waist, but the dress is as your TRUE waist.

the difference is:  preferred waist is where you like to wear your clothes.  true waist is where your body is most narrow.  this is usually between 1"-3" ABOVE the belly button, often just under the rib cage.

this dress being made when it was (from the cut i'd say late 50's-early 60s"), it has the waistline in the true waist location.

the only way to lower the waist is to take the skirt off, insert fabric, and then reapply the skirt.

the only way to make the bodice less tight is to let out the seams, if there is enough seam allowance, and if there is not, you will also have to insert fabric.

bear in mind that when this dress was made, women wore foundation garments that made things fit like gloves.  also, the average woman was much smaller than today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Chilan
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006 12:24:45 PM »

What about if you raised the waistline?  It would involve a lot of ripping and resewing, expecially because of the zipper, but you could cut out the whole bodice area below your bust, and re-attach the skirt, so it is an empire waist, instead.  Or, you could perhaps, instead of just re-attaching the skirt to the bustline, add a strip of fabric ( I don't know what look you are wanting, but I'd say use a strip of contrasting fabric, like black satin, or something like that) that is 1"-3" wide, and put it between the bust and the skirt.

Thing with these ideas is that because of the way your skirt is made, it may make you look pregnant.  You might want to take it in in certain areas or add darts in order to not have the gathers that are on top....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006 01:31:34 PM »

I had thought about adding a strip and then getting a new zipper.  I was just wondering if there was an easy way to deal with this as I don't feel too comfortable with my sewing machiene and I don't want to ruin the dress.  There's not a heck of a lot of seam allowance.  And amen about the foundation garments.  I kind of need a bullet bra to really fit this right. 

So I guess were on to what kind of fabric would do well with this.  I love the red.  Maybe something in black?  A darker red?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 03:09:24 PM »

If you want to keep it red, perhaps you would be willing to take of a bit from the hem the skirt and use that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006 03:18:55 PM »

Would a wide, black sash waistband work?  It would certainly allow you to lower the top of the skirt, and might help with the bodice fit.

On a similar note, you could attach a waistband to the skirt and remake the bodice into a separate top.  It would still have a vintage feel to it, but be totally to your taste and fit specifications.

Good luck -- I look forward to seeing the finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Surprise Makeover For a "Rachael Ray" Audience Member
Wear Leather For Spring: 3 Great Outfits to Show You How!
How to Wear Wedge Sneakers
The Hoodie That Lasts A Decade
Flint & Tinder Shows Off The 10-Year Hoodie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...